Now why didn't I get one before?

No big news for here. There was a Harbor Freight ad in Scientific American this month. It had a coupon for the Harbor Freight multi-function tool at $35. Actually I skipped that, I didn't want to cut up my magazine. But they had a URL to get it off of the net. So I got it and yesterday I went out and bought one. I haven't done a real job with it yet, but I hooked it up to try. I cut a cube out of the corner of a scrap of 2 X 4 in less than a minute. It had straight sides and sharp corners, and it was great. This thing really is a great tool.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Michael Kenefick

HF isn't my source of choice but they do have a few pretty good deals. At a finish carpenters suggestion I bought one of their cheapo

18 gauge finishing nailers several years ago. It is getting beat up from use but is hanging in there with my old Porter Cable (Porter Cable - $160/HF - $29.95 weekend sale). I figured it would take some of the use stress off of the PC and it has.

My best buy was one of their weekend sale mortise machines. I almost felt guilty buying it for $99 because I figured it would fall apart in the back of my pickup before I got home. But guess what? It cuts square holes, lines them up fairly well, has enough power, and the chisels provided with it were pretty good. Delta chisels are interchangeable. The table and hold down mechanism are crap that can be improved but I haven't done it yet. In ten years and a fair amount of use I have replaced the switch.

Other than that, they are a good source for latex gloves, air hose, some air tools, etc. IOW, I am not a total HF snob.

Reply to
RonB

Cheap clamps, which can be put in harm's way without any worry, and double sided tape, are both a couple of other bargains at HF.

Reply to
Swingman

FYI - You got my curiosity up. Just a couple I ran across quickly:

have to drop in HF next time I'm in Joplin.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

"Swingman" wrote

Yep, I had the job recently of having to derust a bunch of metal that had been stored improperly. Before ,when I did this job like this, I had a helper hold the material while I ran the angle grinder with a wire brush. This time I had to do it alone. I bought some HF clamps. built a couple clamping jigs out of scrap and started my job.

I ended up destroying a couple clamps. But the others are fine and the job was actually accomplished in less time than if I had some human help.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Or you could visit the stores in Salina, Shawnee, Topeka, and Wichita.

Reply to
HeyBub

We recently completed a roof/siding repair an a two story studio type home. Imagine one large box (the second story) sitting next to a smaller box (the first story).

Where these two met the roof leaked. On the day were removed the siding to inspect the flashing, it was about 45 degrees. I determined that we needed to cut into the existing commercial style SBS flat roof, and since it was so cool, it was like cutting marble. We chopped at it with our sharpened bars and roofing hatchets, but since it had been repaired incorrectly so many times it had a real thick layer, almost and inch and a half thick, of built up tar, scrim, and other repair materials.

In a moment of inspiration/desperation, I remember that little tool sitting brand new in its box on my front seat.

I put the 1 1/2" blade in it, and it buzzed right through all that roofing like it was butter! I cut out three large pieces with the machine, and it never balked. The kicker was that in cutting through the piled on roofing gunk it ground the teeth off the blade almost immediately. But that meant that when I cut through the roof, it couldn't cut the plywood underneath with no teeth, so the decking was safe!

One of my guys was so impressed that he wanted to continue to play with the tool. He took that same blade (I have already replaced it - they are $5) and cleaned off all the hard asphalt and mastic on the base flashing along the wall. Cleaning the base flashing is usually a tedious, on the knees, difficult job with a sharpened bar and hammer.

This little thing buzzed off all the crap on the flashing in no time. And the flashing was extra clean as the guy cleaning it was having a blast.

We cleaned the tar and sealant off the little machine, and it now has it own HF ballistic carry bag ( $7 ) that was purchased when the blade was replaced.

I don't know what else I will do with this little machine, but if I don't use it for anything else, ever, it had paid for itself as a roofing repair tool.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's one thing I like about a lot of the Harbor Freight tools. I bought a reciprocating saw for $20 a few years ago. I had a job to use it on. Doing that job paid for the tool. And it is still working just fine. So that all my other uses are basically free, except for the blades.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Nice story Robert.

I surmised that you purchased this mystery tool from Harbor Freight.

Any chance you could share with us the identity and cost of said mystery tool? ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Too far. We live in the SE corner of Kansas and Joplin is about an hour's drive.

We used to live in Wichita and their store is much larger than Joplin but 120 miles away. Other locations mentioned are 120 to 220 miles.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

He's replying to a post about the HF Multimaster clone. I don't have the HF, I've got the original, but understand where he's coming from completely. It does all manner of odd things well.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I assume then that Tulsa is also too far. I know there are people from Coffeyville who occasionally drive down to Tulsa for shopping.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Harbor Freight also sold/sells a set of high speed steel woodturning tools. 8 or so tools. $40-50. The 1" and 1/2" skew chisels are just as good as any otheres you can buy. 3/8" and 1/2" gouges are just as good as any others. Scrapers scrape just fine. Couple of the big gouges are good. The set is good. And if you use it to learn how to sharpen with a dry grinder, you don't feel bad grinding away expensive high speed steel. My Uncle refers to Harbor Freight as the Chinese store. Ain't that the truth.

Reply to
russellseaton1

Sorry, Lee. It was the aforementioned Fein osculating knockoff for $35. Best $35 I spent in a while, and the really hard work didn't seem to hurt it a bit.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Sorry, Lee. It was the aforementioned Fein osculating knockoff for $35. Best $35 I spent in a while, and the really hard work didn't seem to hurt it a bit. ============================

That is OK Robert. I did not catch the exact tool in the previous post. But I figured it was something like that as there has been discussion about this previously on the wreck.

Not being a tool snob certainly is easier on the wallet. Particularly if it can do a good job for you like the circumstances that you mentioned.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Yes. Coffeyville is right on the Oklahoma state line, and about 40-45 miles south of us. In fact South Coffeyville is in Oklahoma. But Tulsa is about a 125 miles from us. We grew up in Saint Paul Kansas, and moved back after 45 years in the Wichita area. Seldom return to Wichita and, for practical purposes, Joplin has about every thing Wichita had; but more of a laid-back, friendly atmosphere.

RonB

Reply to
RonB