Now Which Miter gauge??

Page 1 of 5
I have been using a Kreg miter gauge for about 6-8 years now and have been berry happy with it. Until now.
Today I pulled the brass idexing pin out and adjusted for a 22.5 degree cut and replaced the indexing pin. Felt tight. With difficulty I pulled it out after the cut and returned it to the 90 degree setting. Then I had to make that 22.5 degree cut again and the brass indexing pin would not come out. Pliers and finally vice grips would not do any thing but twist the pin. I finally had to use a drift to bound the pin out from the bottom side and the pin is still way too tight to put back down the hole.
Any recommendations on another brand?
Those that might suggest the Osbourne or the Delta version need not do so, been there done that.
Incra has been a consideration but I do often cut wide boards and I don't want the gauge hanging off the table.
JessEm looks great but is out of production, apparently they could not maintain tolerances.
Sooooooooo
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you have been berry happy with the Kreg, are you sure you want to back away now? Is there a fix?
RonB
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 6:05 PM, RonB wrote:

Pounding the brass pin out flared the tapered end and distorted the pin and the hole it went into. I have a letter in to Kreg.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 6:21 PM, Leon wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 6:07 PM, "<<<__ Bψb __>>>" wrote:

I am actually looking real hard at that one, on line. ;~)
Which side of the blade do you use yours? My Kreg was easily and quickly switchable, it took 3 or 4 seconds to readjust the fence from one side to the other.
I prefer cutting on the left side of the blade but for longer pieces I switch over to the right side.
Add pictures here
βœ–
@swbelldotnet says...

First thing I'd do is call Kreg and see if they have any sage advice.

I don't understand what you mean by "hanging off the table". If you mean you want a gage without an attached fence, Incra has several of them, and the fence can be removed from any of them without any difficulty.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 6:20 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

Say your board is 12" wide, most all but the smallest of gauges have to hang off the front side of the fence to allow room for the board to sit. The higher end Incras typically stick out way back behind the fence. Basically I am not too sure how much of the guide bar ends up being out of the slot.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Leon wrote:

You might try a table saw sled.
Here's one: http://www.mywoodprojects.com/plans/crosscutsled.aspx
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 7:48 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Actually I have a left and right side Dubby jig/sled. I want something quick and easy and absolutely dead on for squaring the ends of boards.
Add pictures here
βœ–
@swbelldotnet says...

About as much as on the miter gage that typically comes with the saw.
You're not obligated to use the Incra fence with the Incra miter gage. If it's too thick you can bolt on a piece of blind stop molding or whatever else you find to be of appropriate thickness.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 8:12 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

talking about, that is not your fault. ;~)
What I am really trying to say is I am more concerned with what is actually behind the miter gauge fence. The fence is not the problem as much as the miter gauge it self, behind the fence.
My Kreg jig guide bar is 24" long, 16" is in front of the fence and the gauge itself is only 6" deep. The incra jigs tend to use up a lot of the bar behind the fence. It appears in the pictures that perhaps a much greater portion of some Incra guide bars may be hanging off the front edge of the TS when cutting wide boards or panels. I see that a possible problem if only 10~12 inches of the bar is in front of the fence. Ill have to take a hands on look.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 7:18 PM, Leon wrote:

behind the miter gauge fence. The fence is not the problem as much as the miter gauge it self, behind

itself is only 6" deep. The incra jigs tend to use up a lot of the bar behind the fence. It appears in

be hanging off the front edge of the TS when cutting wide boards or panels. I see that a possible

I have the Incra 1000HD. The miter bar is 17.75 inches. There is only 8.5 inches in front of the fence. The fence is 1.5 inches thick so you could gain some by using a thinner fence.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 11:41 PM, Dan Coby wrote:

Hummmmm, half the length that mine is. thanks
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/2011 11:41 PM, Dan Coby wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page0603
Don't know if this DeWalt DW7470 is any good, but for $75 it might be.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 6/1/2011 11:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Looks like a less expensive re-branded Osborne to me! <http://www.osbornemfg.com/
I personally use an Osborne and really like it for accuracy and stability but, I also keep a sled handy and use it far more than I ever thought I would.
--
Digger
Bob O'Dell
On 6/1/2011 10:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Basicaly an Osbourn. I had an EB-2 Osbourne several years ago for a couple of days. The concept is good but the execution has an inherant flaw. The fence will swing to 45 degrees both ways. The telescoping arm in its closed position, 45 degree setting is plenty sturdy. That all goes out the window then going to the other 45 degree setting with the telescoping arm extended to its extreme. The one I had and the others in the store were very wobbly with the arm telescoped out. You could easily grab the fence and move it back and forth.
Might explain why you can get the real MaCoy these days for under $100. IIRC I paid about $180.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/1/11 10:46 PM, Leon wrote:

Thanks for the real life info.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 6/1/2011 10:02 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

IMO they all have some undesirable traits but, for sheer repeatable accuracy I've never been able to beat my Woodhaven ...
I know you don't like it, but mine works and yours doesn't! <g, d & r>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/2/2011 7:09 AM, Swingman wrote:

I have a Domino.,... ;~)
Actually I was looking at the Woodhaven, I keep thinking you have the JDS miter gauge. Actually the Kreg is very much like the Woodhaven.
Looks like Woodhaven also uses a brass indexing pin but uses brass in the common indexing holes, perhaps that would prevent the seize problem I had yesterday.
Now if only I could get more details that their web site offers....
Add pictures here
βœ–