Novice Seeking Advice

I'm interesting in purchasing a spiral saw......... a Rotozip or Dremel Advantage. My use will include cutting wallboard and cut off saw. These are appealing to me because both are available with a plunge router attachment and flex shaft .I don't believe the dremel has a cut off saw like the "zip" for Rotozip. I'm not a "heavy" user, but additional functions of router, circle cutting , etc. would be "nice to have".

Any advice re advantages of one vs the other? Appreciate any input you're willing to provide.

Happy Holidays

Reply to
Grindstone

I have the dremel, and have seen the rotozip.... I think it has MORE POWER.... My dremel came with a cut off saw, so....

I think that the rotozip would be more to your needs, the dremel is strictly craft and for detail work.... The rotozip is a half-step up in terms of robustness, if that's a word.... Anything more than light use would call for a more appropriately sized tool, IMHO...

I do know that the dremel is limited to 1/8" bits, which you *aint* gonna find anywhere, 'cept dremel, and at a price I might add... If the rotozip has a 1/4 collet, you could at least use small shank router bits.

I have used my dremel tool as a router and been *pretty happy* with it in that capacity. It really shines for small works....

HTH,

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
john moorhead

Dewalt and rotozip bits also fit the dremel tool. Where to buy? Where else, Home Depot.(No affiliation) Not the greatest price but the tool crib seems to carry a few different kinds.

John

Reply to
John

John,

Dremel came out with the Advantage model and it has a 4.5a motor which is the same as my PC 310 router as I recall. I have the Advantage and most of the attachments now. The reason I went with it over the RotoZip was a little recall they had because of a design flaw in the handle - it would come off while using it...

Money wise, they're about the same now since the Advantage is packaged as a kit with the cable and the plunge router adapter. It also comes with both a

1/8" and 1/4" collet which I used quite a bit when I made the French door set for my niece.

Go with the one that has all the options you will need. They both are about equal in quality from what I can see and have read.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

they are now made by the same company. I just finished a lot of drywall work and it broke (Rotozip)neat the end. It was the collet release that broke. Dremel Inc replaced the whole thing without any problems very quick.

Reply to
leonard

I use a Rotozip occasionally for drywall, but I have a couple problems with it. 1) It spews gypsum dust like crazy! Very messy. and 2) very difficult to move in a straight line (free-hand, anyway). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

-- Bill W.

Reply to
Bill Warner

Regarding #1, there -is- a solution. There is a 'dust collector' attachment for the RotoZip -- best source of supply I've found is SEARS. they stock it for their house-branded version of the RotoZip. Takes standard 1-1/4" 'vacuum cleaner" type hose (I have the "Hang Up" Shop Vac, that comes with an 18' 1-1/4" hose). Makes an *incredible* difference! For all practical purposes, the gizmo is now 'dust free' -- I'm known to cut in the _ceiling_ w/o either a face shield, or even a dust mask.

As for $#2, "practice makes perfect". And if it's a long cut, a guide rail helps *a*lot*.

It is *definitely* a "Clint Eastwood / Dirty Harry" class of tool --

"A man's gotta know it's limitations"

*chortle*
Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Drywall dust clogs most filters to vacs very quickly, although there are covers you can buy. I have installed a lot of drywall and still rely on a $4 drywall saw. It cuts fast and easy, has not worn out after 14 years, and generates very little dust.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have an old Rainbow vacuum cleaner. The Rainbow is one helluva vacuum that catches just about everything that goes through it's water bath filter. It can be left running in a clean area and the water will turn gray. I use this vacuum about everywhere.

It was a PITA to sand drywall with the right hand and chase the sanding pad with the left but it almost eliminated dust in the house. There is a bit of foaming and it doesn't have the greatest capacity but its better than the alternative.

I also use the Rainbow with the miter saw, it fits well enough in the dust bag port. It sucks up dust so well dust isn't a concern.

All I have to do now is work out a method of attaching it to the other portable WW tools.

Reply to
Mark