Not sure I trust these guys...

Page 1 of 2
Look at the drawing of this saw carefully... posted ABPW too.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/woodworking/slide_presentation/slide01.html
John Grossbohlin wrote:

Does look like the sort of thing a "safety engineer" who's never actually _used_ one might come up with.

Other than being a really crappy drawing, what's yer point?
nb

Ummmm did you notice that the fence controls are mounted on the back side of the saw? I don't know what kind of saw you have but mine has the fence control/clamping lever on the same side as the hand wheel blade control, the front side.
Adjusting that fence is going to be a stretch. Art

Yeah.... you'd probably get your tie stuck in the blade....

Imagine using that thing with an outfeed table.

ROFLMAO!
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
John Grossbohlin wrote:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/woodworking/slide_presentation/slide01.html
Typical of something only the Government could come up with. Kinda reminds me of Air Force One fly over. Can't even get a simple picture of a table saw right and they're going to run health care, God help us!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Hmmmmmm.. That's been up there since DateTime: 2005/07/28. (Which means it was commissioned likely a couple of years prior.
Artwork $ 5.00
Silliness factor $ 10.00
Failed attempt to politicize this out of sheer desperation? Priceless
On 5/14/2009 6:06 PM John Grossbohlin spake thus:

Hey, dontcha know, it's one of them new back-secured fence units. Requires a 2nd worker to adjust the rip fence safely from the back.

Drawn by a committee...
--
Kiva - Loans that change lives.
http://www.kiva.org/lender/david87375440
On Thu, 14 May 2009 21:06:36 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
My saw looked a little like that yesterday when I put the blade on backwards.
Mike O.
"Mike O." wrote:

That was also my first impression.
Took a 2nd look to realize what was really happening.
Lew
Mike O. wrote:

How'd you move the height adjustment wheel to the back of the saw? ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

If you take the four bolts off a UNI and turn the top 180, it would look just like that! ;-)
Mike O.
Looks like the saw you get back after loaning it to or letting your friend use it

Another fine example of the government being "way in over it's head".

It was amusing, in a sad kind of way, to look through that site... quite a number of the captions, images and prescribed practices made me think they'd never actually used tools.
John

If you think that is funny, click the next button. the next actual photo shows a guy cutting a thin piece of wood. The describes the what is going on in the picture, With the hand-fed table saws, the operator adjusts the height and angle of the blade.