Norton's 3X papers are stearated...

Some "pro's" here think that stearated sandpaper is unholy. How come a large company such as Norton doesn't know that stearated paper is a no no for finishing? Mike should call them up to let them know the folly of their ways... Or could the new papers ACTUALLY be ok? I've seen NO problems with using them between Enduro coats.
dave
I have seen the thread and yawned.... ;~) But something to check out and I don't know one way or the other for sure. Norton is big into Automotive papers. Some papers are better for Automotive paints than for wood finishes. That said, if you are pleased with your finish results in 5 years, keep doing the same thing and using the same papers.

remember the thread I started a few months back about pits in poly? there was some talk about stearated paper then. I use the same Norton 3X with Enduro and have no problems, PLUS I'm not convinced the Norton papers had anything to do with the poly issue. I just find it hard to believe that Norton sells all these sand papers expressly for wood finishing if they are incompatible. But, hey, what do I know? What does Norton know? I don't know Jack; can't speak for Norton.
dave
Leon wrote:

No, I missed of forgot that one.. you do make a good point though. I prefer 3M.. ;~)

We all know that so you don't need to remind us.
I use an Inca 550 jointer planer and I wax the table during planing operations. (I use a wax made for this purpose) and I spray WB finish and have NO problems with crap under the finish. I also use peel and stick paper on my block sander.
--
Rumpty

Some think all sanding is unholy.
Stearates are soaps. Wipe the surface with an alcohol-soaked rag (N/A shellac) if you're troubled, but, with the modest amounts used, and a coat of finish shedding already, should be no problem.
If you are absolutely anal, just use non-stearated open-coat papers between coats of finish.
Oh yes, bet more finishes have been screwed up from lack of or incomplete tacking off than ever from stearates.

you are preaching to the choir, George! :) I DO use the Norton stearated papers and don't see anything untoward happening as a result. Maybe the earth will eventually get knocked off its axis, but for now I'm using them.
dave
George wrote:

I missed the prev. thread on this subject. I don't know what y'all do, but I like to read the can and follow the directions. If the can of finish says don't use stearated paper, I figure there's probably a chemical reason for it. IIRC, most cans that contain some degree of poly seem to have this, even the waterbase finishes. There are plenty on non-stearated abrasives to be had, so I don't get my knickers in a twist about it.
Cheers, Eric