Norton Grinding Wheel Source

Anyone know of a good online source for Norton white aluminum oxide grinding wheels? In particular I'm after an 80 grit 7"x1" wheel. I think the Norton code might be 38A80-H8VBE (but this might not be the right dia). I've seen 6 and 8 inch wheels in some of the popular catalogs (Lee Valley, Rockler, etc) but none in 7-inch. I'm fitting these to a Baldor 7306 7-in, slow-speed grinder. I tried sourcing these locally, with no luck so far.

TIA

Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

Richard, try this

It's 7x1/4x7/8 - anyway a place to start.

How's the weather up there? I live in Duvall, WA and we've been waking up to

18-20'F temps.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

Garrett-Wade, Japan Woodworker, Hartville,

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

MSC

) and McMaster-Carr
both sell them. Look for toolroom grinding wheels. The Norton code does not include the wheel size, width, or hole diameter. You have to specify those when ordering. Norton's grading code breaks down like this:

38A = abrasive type (38A is white aluminum oxide abrasive) 80 = grit (80 is the coarsest "fine") H = grade I.e., hardness (H is the hardest "soft") 8 = structure (lower numbers have higher grain density [1]) V = bond type (V is vitrified) BE = a Norton symbol designating a bond modification [1] The structure number runs from 2 to 28, but 8 is near the middle of the range {2,4,5,6,8,12,16,19,25,28}.

The size is specified as wheel Diameter x Thickness x Hole diameter (DxTxH). You might want a 7 x 1 x 1-1/4 (but see below). You will probably need a bushing to fit the wheel on your arbor, but 1-1/4 is the most common hole diameter, so the wheels are less expensive and more readily available.

The wheel type gives its geometry. You probably want a straight wheel (type 1 or O1).

I haven't seen a type O1 size 7 x 1 x 1-1/4 in the 38A80-H8VBE grade. Highest grit I've seen in that type, size, abrasive and hardness is the

46 grit. A much greater variety of grades are available in the 1/2" thickness. This is the most common size used on surface grinders for general work. I have seen the 38A80-H8VBE in O1 7 x 1/2 x 1-1/4.

For what it's worth, in my experience, the 32A runs a tad cooler than the

38A, and the 32AA is even cooler still. They are correspondingly more expensive. These are a gray aluminum oxide, but definitely not to be confused with the el-cheapo gray ones that come on el-cheapo grinders and which can be found on the shelf at the local borg or hardware store.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

McMaster-Carr sells ANY tool that you MIGHT ever need.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Thanks Jim,

Great info - it sounds like you know your grinding wheels. When I initially tried to obtain 7x1 alumiunum oxide Norton wheels from a local source, the ones on hand were in fact pale tannish-grey in color. They were made by Norton, in the size and grit I was after, but when I saw the grey color I was disappointed, having expected to see white aluminum oxide. It could be I was too hasty in my judgement. After reading your post and studying the archives, I think I'd probably be ok going with either a 32A or a 38A in either and H or J hardness grade. I'm mainly using these to recut the bevels on plane irons and chissels, and again I'm working with a 1750 rpm grinder. I'm an amateur, so my use will be fairly low. In other words, I can tolerate faster wear, and cooler running would be a welcome attribute. I have a diamond dressing stick, so retruing the wheels on a periodioc basis is no problem. I think I'll go back to my local source and see if those grey wheels happen to be 32As. Searching the two online sources you listed, it looks like my options in size 7x1 might be limited. Evidently this is a fairly unusual size.

Thanks again for the tips.

Reply to
Rich-in-WA

Could be the 32A abrasive; the code will tell. If you can get them for a good price, you won't regret it.

Either abrasive will be fine. The hardness grade will have a greater effect on how cool they cut than the abrasive (between these two types). Your low RPMs will have an even greater effect, and your technique, more still.

Good luck!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

(newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net)

for sale: list of NOS grinding wheels (never mounted/never used) from out of my friends closed tool grinding shop; these should be priced @ about 50% of current retail. scroll down from here:

the complete list. also still have the Hybco form relieving setup available, some inspection equipment, etc. all located on the webpage. tnx for looking, barry carson city, nv

Jim Wilson