Norton Grinding Wheel Source

Anyone know of a good online source for Norton white aluminum oxide grinding wheels? In particular I'm after an 80 grit 7"x1" wheel. I think the Norton code might be 38A80-H8VBE (but this might not be the right dia). I've seen 6 and 8 inch wheels in some of the popular catalogs (Lee Valley, Rockler, etc) but none in 7-inch. I'm fitting these to a Baldor 7306 7-in, slow-speed grinder. I tried sourcing these locally, with no luck so far.
TIA
Richard Johnson Camano Island, WA
Richard, try this http://tinyurl.com/u5g7 It's 7x1/4x7/8 - anyway a place to start.
How's the weather up there? I live in Duvall, WA and we've been waking up to 18-20'F temps.
Erik

Garrett-Wade, Japan Woodworker, Hartville,
On 7 Nov 2003 17:24:08 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@boeing.com (Rich-in-WA) wrote:

McMaster-Carr sells ANY tool that you MIGHT ever need.
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 11:04:40 -0600, Lawrence A. Ramsey

Rich-in-WA wrote...

MSC (www.mscdirect.com ) and McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) both sell them. Look for toolroom grinding wheels. The Norton code does not include the wheel size, width, or hole diameter. You have to specify those when ordering. Norton's grading code breaks down like this:
38A = abrasive type (38A is white aluminum oxide abrasive) 80 = grit (80 is the coarsest "fine") H = grade I.e., hardness (H is the hardest "soft") 8 = structure (lower numbers have higher grain density [1]) V = bond type (V is vitrified) BE = a Norton symbol designating a bond modification
[1] The structure number runs from 2 to 28, but 8 is near the middle of the range .
The size is specified as wheel Diameter x Thickness x Hole diameter (DxTxH). You might want a 7 x 1 x 1-1/4 (but see below). You will probably need a bushing to fit the wheel on your arbor, but 1-1/4 is the most common hole diameter, so the wheels are less expensive and more readily available.
The wheel type gives its geometry. You probably want a straight wheel (type 1 or O1).
I haven't seen a type O1 size 7 x 1 x 1-1/4 in the 38A80-H8VBE grade. Highest grit I've seen in that type, size, abrasive and hardness is the 46 grit. A much greater variety of grades are available in the 1/2" thickness. This is the most common size used on surface grinders for general work. I have seen the 38A80-H8VBE in O1 7 x 1/2 x 1-1/4.
For what it's worth, in my experience, the 32A runs a tad cooler than the 38A, and the 32AA is even cooler still. They are correspondingly more expensive. These are a gray aluminum oxide, but definitely not to be confused with the el-cheapo gray ones that come on el-cheapo grinders and which can be found on the shelf at the local borg or hardware store.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
Great info - it sounds like you know your grinding wheels. When I initially tried to obtain 7x1 alumiunum oxide Norton wheels from a local source, the ones on hand were in fact pale tannish-grey in color. They were made by Norton, in the size and grit I was after, but when I saw the grey color I was disappointed, having expected to see white aluminum oxide. It could be I was too hasty in my judgement. After reading your post and studying the archives, I think I'd probably be ok going with either a 32A or a 38A in either and H or J hardness grade. I'm mainly using these to recut the bevels on plane irons and chissels, and again I'm working with a 1750 rpm grinder. I'm an amateur, so my use will be fairly low. In other words, I can tolerate faster wear, and cooler running would be a welcome attribute. I have a diamond dressing stick, so retruing the wheels on a periodioc basis is no problem. I think I'll go back to my local source and see if those grey wheels happen to be 32As. Searching the two online sources you listed, it looks like my options in size 7x1 might be limited. Evidently this is a fairly unusual size.
Thanks again for the tips.
RKJ

Rich-in-WA wrote...

Could be the 32A abrasive; the code will tell. If you can get them for a good price, you won't regret it.

Either abrasive will be fine. The hardness grade will have a greater effect on how cool they cut than the abrasive (between these two types). Your low RPMs will have an even greater effect, and your technique, more still.
Good luck!
Jim
FWIW, there are some wheels, NOS, for what look to be bargain prices, available here:
http://home.att.net/~btuttleman/wheels2.jpg
http://home.att.net/~btuttleman/barrysite.html
It's a reaaaallly long page. You have to scroll down about 10% or so to see the wheels listed.
No affiliation; I just saw the guy's post over in rec.crafts.metalworking, and it reminded me of this thread.
Jim
ORIGINAL POST COPIED BELOW:
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.79 [en]C-WNS5.0 (Win98; U) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Subject: FS: Load of NOS Grinding Wheels Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 12 Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:08:19 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.72.186.226 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net X-Trace: bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net 1068606499 12.72.186.226 (Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:08:19 GMT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 03:08:19 GMT Organization: AT&T Worldnet Xref: news.earthlink.net rec.crafts.metalworking:535942 X-Received-Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:08:20 PST (newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net)
for sale: list of NOS grinding wheels (never mounted/never used) from out of my friends closed tool grinding shop; these should be priced @ about 50% of current retail. scroll down from here:
http://home.att.net/~btuttleman/wheels2.jpg
for the complete list. also still have the Hybco form relieving setup available, some inspection equipment, etc. all located on the webpage. tnx for looking, barry carson city, nv http://home.att.net/~btuttleman/barrysite.html