Normite becomes part-neander

Yup, Santa brought me my first plane, a Veritas block plane. Now I just need to learn how to use the thing. :-)
Oh, and I need to get a vise and drill dog holes in my workbench. The tool buying never ends...
--
Vince Heuring. To email, remove the Vince.

Woodcraft sells a book called PLANECRAFT. IMHO, it is worth the money.

Garrett Hack's "Hand Plane" book is excellent.
Vince Heuring wrote:

Chances are your sharpening department will inflate too. If you don't already have them, go right to water stones and skip the sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone seems to end up anyway.) And of course the sharpening jigs...

Holy crap! The quantity of sharpening stuff accumulated over a lifetime of woodworking adds up to quite a lot of $ and can take up a good bit of space too.
oil stones, waterstones, sandpaper/glass plate system, honing guides for the previous 3, Then there's the Tormek and it's associated jigs, etc., etc. Yikes.
Personally, I use a Tormek. Most of the time.
What is your reasoning behind that ???
Do you really feel like the stones are that superior to sandpaper and glass ?
Gordon Airporte wrote:
If you don't already have them, go right to water stones and skip the sandpaper-and-glass stuff (that's where everyone seems to end up anyway.)
No, they're not. Sharpening on sandpaper works just fine. So do water stones, ceramic stones, oil stones and diamond stones.

In article

BTDT, but I'd recommend sandpaper-and-glass (scary sharp) to a beginner. The method is inexpensive and one can easily learn and understand the effect of a progression of grit sizes on sharpening speed and the resultant edge.
After learning these lessons, use whatever works.
(Just bought an Ice Bear 4k stone to replace my worn out King 4k stone.)
--
"Keep your ass behind you."