Norm Vs. Marks

Page 3 of 4
I see all these messages about Marks, but don't think I've ever seen a show by him. What if any stations is he available on in Canada, specifically covering the Toronto area?
I can get Norm, but not Marks.
Marks was on HGTV, but now is ONLY (as far as I know) on the DIY network
Saw 4 or 5 episodes on HGTV, and considered him worth watching, but now I cannot get him at all as both local cable companies do NOT carry DIY - at least not yet
John

DIY is available on satellite, DirecTV or Dishnetwork.

A new guy came to my woodworking club this month with a "multirouter" that he made out of Baltic Birch. It looked like a lot of work but he probably had less than $100 in materials in it...
John
I'll bet a bunch of people here would love to learn more about this. I certainly would.
Perhaps some dimensions and so on.
Could be a good spring project.
Dave

that
probably
I'll see what I can do... someone had a digital camera there. I also got the impression the guy was joining the club so I anticipate seeing him again.
John
Marks is into arts and crafts/contemporary styles while Norm loves the shaker style. It's like comparing apples and oranges the styles are just too different and both men stay true to their genre.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"Bruce Rowen" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamnohow.edu> wrote in message
I enjoyed both shows when I got them, but Marks' show disappeared after about 5 episodes on HGTV ( a DIY special presentation) here in Orange County NY. Funny thing though is that his website still lists an HGTV time slot for 7am Sat's? Anyway, I think Marks choice of tools has more to do with technique then sponsorship. Although, I think we could eventually see him working with a few L. Neilsen, Laguna, etc. tools when the sponsors line up.
Timeslots? Bah! Get DirectTV Tivo. You'll never think about timeslots again. I never miss an episode of either show. It also comes in handy being able to skip the commercials and do instant replays when needed. Crystal-clear pausing really helps you get a good idea of the joinery as well.
I don't work for Tivo, but highly recommend it.
Jay
BTW, My take: For the weekend warrior, Marks gives you a good way of looking at things, but Nahm gives you projects you could do in a garage.
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@kreusch.com (Jay) wrote:

Or Dish Network PVR. Same functionality.

Me too. I don't think I can live without being able to pause TV anymore.
bruce writes:

You're kidding, right? I mean, get up, go in the other room, do whatever, go out in the shop, come back, it's either on or not on. It's TV. Who cares?
Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Charlie,
It was a bit of hyperbole, yes. I assure you that I watch MUCH less TV than the average American. Part of the neat benefit of PVR is that I can record something, like Norm or David and watch it at my leisure and not watch a single commmercial. Yes, you've been able to do that for years with VCRs but I never did because the ease of use wasn't there.
And when I'm watching college football, I need to see everything! I often pause the program at the beginning of the game and then work in the shop for 20 mins or so. Then I can come in and watch it, skipping all the commercials. Work during halftime and do it again. A 4 hour football game is compressed to about 1:30 of actual ass time in the couch.
I heard so many people are doing this now, that is why the advertisers are using product placement in programs.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:05:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

Considering the average American is a mental vegetable, sitting in front of the television, watching anything they decide to put on the screen because they're too lazy to reach for the remote, I hope you watch less TV! ;)
On 28 Jan 2004 07:16:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comslamspam (LtNtHacker) brought forth from the murky depths:

I think his program was yanked from HGTV altogether. Maybe DIY got full "dibs" on it.

I can see the LN, but not Laguna. He has two perfectly good bandsaurs now.
Speaking of David J. Marks, he's going to be in LoCal at the Ontario WW show this coming weekend for you lucky suckahs who live in the area. Make sure to stop by Yeung Chan's area and watch that guy work. The man -knows- one-sided shavings from a finely tuned Japanese plane. They're getting $40 a pop for the lectures, including Marks' "Furniture: From Concept to Finish."
---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e) http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development ======================================================
I try to get into the spirit of the show that I am watching by using the same techniques. The other day for instance, I was watching Norm and I used the remote exclusively for changing the channel and controlling the volume. Later in the day Roy Underwood came on and I got up and used the buttons on the TV console if I needed to adjust it.
The next day I was watching David Marks, so I got out the auxilliary universal remote and had my kid work it for me.
-Chris
David Marks kicks Norm's ass any day of the week. If the two of them were to compete in a contest of making a specific type of furniture Mark's version would have cleaner lines and a better finish. Plus Marks uses better woods...I wish I could afford Purpleheart, Black Walnut, Cherry, African exotics!!!

Basspro* wrote:

Two different people for two different audiences.
Let me know the next time you see Marks swinging a hammer on a construction site.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

Excellent Mark! Simply put, well stated.
Praise from one that swings a hammer almost every day.
Robert

Thanks for summing up the difference so nicely. And rest assured, I'll be sure to turn on Nahm's show the next time I want to see construction work.
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) And that does help explain Nahm's use of the nailer.

Actually, he spent some time in carpentry. You guys think he's a spring chicken because he looks young. He's 54 years old. He's been doing one form or another of woodworking for over 30 years.
Cheers, Eric