Norm uses a tool without a tail?

I was googling to try and find bits for an old Stanley Yankee driver I have and came across this article. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/tools/article/0,16417,1552611,00.html The picture doesn't show his face so it can't be MY Norm using a tool that doesn't plug in.
RayV wrote:

I've seen him use chisels, planes, and even a dozuki on NYW. I've even seen him hand-carve things occasionally. It's a rarity though. I've never seen him use a spoke shave or a card scraper.
brian
brianlanning wrote:

In the early programs he was using all kinds of strange things: hammers, screwdrivers, spokeshaves, rubber mallets. It was all very unsettling, I can tell you.
FoggyTown

There's a whole "neanderthal" section in the Norm's Tools section of my website.
I'd be willing to wager he's used more Japanese saws than 90% of the people here: ryoba, dozuki, and kugihiki.
Although indeed he hasn't used a spokeshave, he has used a drawknife, an inshave, a block plane, a bench plane, and a rabetting plane, and some nice Sorby bench chisels in addition to the carpenter's butt chisels he's used.
And he has used a card scraper at least once. Also he has used paint scrapers (albeit for the pedestrian task of cleaning up glue lines) and shave hooks.
And, he's used a Yankee screwdriver--three times!
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

He's used more non-tailed tools than Roy has tailed, that's for sure.
Sort of tells you which faction has the real chip on their shoulder, doesn't it?
You'll find bits for your Yankee at both Highland HW and LV.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=screwdriver - see "Schroder Spiral Ratchet"
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pT192&cat=1,43411,43417&ap=1
Art
"RayV" wrote

Wood Butcher wrote:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=screwdriver
Thanks. For those interested Garret Wade still sells the 'original' Stanley Yankee http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID 3531
What I still can't find are the X drill bits for this driver. I recently pulled this thing out of the drawer and sprayed a little lithium on it and tried it out. I love it! If you have never tried one of these drivers you should. It fits where a cordless can't and gives you a lot of control. Very easy to use and the one drill bit I have for it works almost as fast as the cordless. I may get another to replace my ratcheting screwdriver.
I may also get one to modify for use with the newer 1/4" quick change bits.
There is no need to modify your screwdriver. McFeely carries a adapters for this purpose. http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sidX3
Art
"RayV" wrote ...

McFeelys sells an adapter for Yankee screwdrivers that accepts regular 1/4" driver bits. Just enter "yankee" in their search box on www.mcfeelys.com
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

won't cut when chucked in a yankee driver? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

I have a push drill (i.e a yankee drill) that came with twist drill bits. The ends that go in the chuck are quite different than a standard twist bit, but the cutting part is just like any other twist bit.
Dave Hall

Turning them the right direction?

There's also the matter of force vs diameter vs stock hardness. With a small twist bit in soft wood the Yankee will just screw the bit in, not drill with it. The main benefit of the Yankee bits IMO is that they won't screw into the wood.
I used to have a Yankee and a set of bits--walked off a long time ago though.

I have the chrome telephone repair man Yankee drill, and two sets of bits. I use it frequently. I also have the Yankee screwdrivers with new bits . IIRC the screwdriver bits came from either Lee Valley or Highland Hardware.
The drill bits are new old stock (Ebay) and they are fluted bits.

If you read some of his NYW books you can even find a place or 2 where he says to trim something "with a sharp block plane"!