Norm sighting (sort of)

I saw a guy the other day who was the spitting image of Nahm - I mean a dead ringer, but mebbe 30# or so thinner. I had to ask if he'd heard the comparison before. He said not only does he hear it all the time, but some years ago he even traveled to DC to enter a Norm look-alike contest, and came in first in a field of 360 entrants. He won a huge Norm poster and $1000 worth of power tools. Coincidentally, he's a general contractor himself and also teaches at the high school down the road from me (I didn't ask if he taught shop).
Even though I wasn't a faithful watcher by any means, I kinda miss Norm going on about something while I am doing my Saturday chores.
Never thought I would. Dunno... maybe I just don't care for the "Woodsmith" guys.
Robert

He is still available in reruns if you can get createtv.com.
Go to createtv.com for stations in your in your area.
Lew

Norm caught a lot of flack, but his show had a good bit of interest. The Woodsmith guys cover the most basic stuff. Once in a while there's a tidbit in there, but for the most part I'd rather look at wallpaper with a nice simulated wood grain.

Me neither. They act like they are graduates of the Mr Rogers school of acting and have dropped at least 3 valium each before shooting the show. They have that perfect monotone monocadence PBS "voice" which the SNL skit Schweaty Balls nailed to a T. Art

Remember, your missing Norm after 20 years of TV....he was kind of stiff before NY...and he did NY after years on TOH....give these guys a few years and they will get better too.
On 5/2/2010 4:28 PM, Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Heh! A few years back, I had a salt & pepper beard. Combined with my wire frame glasses and detached grin, I rather resembled Norm to some degree.
At a home show I noticed a woman staring at me bug-eyed from across a woodworking demonstration. I just smiled amiably.
:)
--Winston <-- Now growing and tinting sideburns for Elvis contest
says...>

Last week, I was driving down a side street near my office and got temporarily stuck because a lawn-care truck (with a big flat trailer for the mowers) was parked on the other side and just after it there was a minivan parked on my side and there was a white dual-cab pickup approaching in the opposite direction. There wasn't room to pass between the two parked vehicles, so I stopped behind the minivan to let the pickup go first. The driver scowled at me as he went by. (I think he thought I could have done a better job pulling over, which was true, but there was room enough.) Anyway, I could swear it was Tommy Silva. Which isn't really unlikely, since this was in Lexington Mass, about a mile from where Google Maps says his construction company is located.
--
John

People stop me all the time thinking I'm Tom Selleck We're spitting images of each other. If you really look close, you can see that Tom is a bit taller though. And he has more hair (lots more). And he has a smaller waist line. And he is a bit younger. Other than that, you can't tell us apart unless you get close, but from a quarter mile or so, we look almost identical. Almost.
On 5/3/2010 1:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

(...)
Thanks, Ed. I needed that.
:)
--Winston
wrote the following:

...and asked her "Wanna see what's under all this plaid, baby?"
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
On 5/3/2010 7:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
All the best lines are in retrospect. :P
In a couple years you'll have something witty. Hang in there.
:)
--Winston