Norm's Socks

Hey Dave, where in TN are you?

-- John (the woodworker former known as "spokeshave") G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.

JG

JG asks:

I'm curious, too. I have to go to Powermatic (Nashville) this coming week and the delightful flight schedules out of Parkersburg leave me with all of Tuesday afternoon to slowly strangle.

Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Greetings and salutations....

On 15 May 2004 17:53:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I live in Knoxville, which is about 3 hours EAST of Nashville. Depending on what one is looking for, there are a number of interesting places to kill time in the city. There are a few decent bookstores, including a really nice one (Elder's) at Elliston Place (near Vanderbilt).

by the by, the Elliston Place soda shop has some of the best milkshakes in the state). Also, down on Broadway is an eclectic little place catering mainly to graphic novel collectors (ok...comic books), Magazines and SF folks. It is called "The Great Escape" and tends to have better prices than Elder's. Here are more useful "book related" links.
Now...I don't know if it is still there, but, there was a great surplus junk place called "Javanco" down on 8th ave. It is a SLIGHTLY scary part of town, but, it is really cheap floor space for the warehouse full of wierd stuff that they have accumulated. It was there a couple of years ago, so I expect it still is there. For poking about in used tools, there is a place called "ReTool", on Old Hickory Blvd (not that this narrows it down, because at times, it seems that half the blasted pavement in Nashville is called Old Hickory ). There is one of these shops down in Marietta Ga, and, that one has had some really good deals. At least the one in Marietta HAS been willing to negotiate a bit too...which I like. Of course, there are the usual "touristy" things to do, but, frankly, I am not really up on that. I tend to avoid that sort of thing when I roll into town. I hope this helps fill the hours a bit, and, that some of the FINE, friendly folks that read this group that LIVE in Nashville will chime in with more suggestions *smile*. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Dave Mundt responds:

Now some of that seems like fun. I'll cart your list along and do some wandering if I do get all the extra time I predict.

Funny. One of the more famous Old Tool Shops is in Marietta--Ohio. John Walter's place.

Charlie Self