Norm's Socks

Page 1 of 2
Before New Yankee Workshop came on today, an episode of This Old House had the crew in Bermuda working on a project. Norm took a tour of a local general contractor's home, and for some strange reason, they had him dressed in pale yellow shorts, knee high dark socks, and dress shoes. He looked like an idiot. Maybe typical for Bermuda, but I bet he was glad when that segment was over. O.
You've never been to Bermuda have you
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
Oregon wrote:

Hi Oregon,
Norm doesn't have that many outfits so when something new shows up, most of us are pleasantly amused. My wife always comments on his attire. When TOH did the project in England, he always seemed to be wearing a gray sweater - this overlapped with several NYW shows when he introduced the project by touring a local English antique shop - in that same sweater. That sweater showed up again & again...
We are grateful when Norm "busts out" - not to metion Tommy & the guys.
L-Rod could add a fashion category to his extensive Norm site:
http://www.woodbutcher.net /
Lou
That could be a $500 sweater :O)

You have never worked as a TV presenter it appears.
It is very common for presenters of programs to _always_ wear the exact same outfit, particularly when they film 'insert' pieces.
Like most shows the NYW is not filmed in the order it is shown. Ever seen him standing outside the workshop introducing the show in the middle of a snowstorm? They film in New England during the winter. It is dark here when they stop working.
It would look kinda odd if Norm kept changing outfits in the middle of a show. If he always wears a red check shirt he can do the intros and endings for all the shows in a season at the same time.
If you watch any Richard Attenborogh wildlife documentaries he is always wearing the same blue shirt and kahkis. If you watch carefully you can see him lose or gain 10 years from shot to shot.

Hmmm, I wear white jockeys every day. I'm going to look into getting a TV contract. I'm already prepared for it. Ed
    Greetings and salutations.

    Yea...the opening segment of the NYW episodes (shot in conjunction with the TOH project) was something to see. He is sitting in, I believe, Trafalgar square, in full, format suit and bowler hat. Alas, he did bail out of them for the usual shop attire though.     THere was one episode of NYW I recall (and I am sure that others can name the date and title) where he has build a number of closet organizers. At the close of the show, the camera is inside the closet, looking down a row of identical, red flannel shirts. Norm pops into the closet, fingers through them, and with a sigh of satisfaction, picks out the "perfect" one.     One of the things I *like* about TOH and NYW are those bits of self-mocking humor that pick up. I still think that there would be big bucks in rentals of a set of "blooper" reels for the show. I suspect there are quite a few moments where giddiness overtakes everyone.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Absolutely embarrassing........Concerned about the fashion of woodworkers. I believe you should be banned from even OWNING tools. :-)

If that is the one I saw it was when he wanted to build an English garden bench, which he found in a public place in a London square. Big Ben was in the background so the square would have been Parliment Square, outside of the Palace of Westminster or in other words the Houses of Parliment (House of Lords and House of Commons - me being the latter). It is not far from Scotland Yard, Downing Street and so on. If you are really interested see the map: http://tinyurl.com/23kqq
Bobby
    Greetings and Salutations.....

^^^^^^     Man...I have been programming computers TOO long. I apparently so programmed to type "format" that I cannot type "formal"!

    There you go....I had a feeling, just after I fired that note off that it was Parliment Square. Since I live in the backwood hills of Tennessee (in what seems like a feudal Citystate at times), my bits of exposure to the great City of London have only come from brief glimpses on the "magic picture box". Not had the pleasure of traipsing about and exploring as of yet.     Dave Mundt

in
(House
see
LOL
good one, Dave. I liked that.
Bobby
Dave Mundt wrote:

Hey Dave, where in TN are you?
-- John (the woodworker former known as "spokeshave") G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
JG asks:

I'm curious, too. I have to go to Powermatic (Nashville) this coming week and the delightful flight schedules out of Parkersburg leave me with all of Tuesday afternoon to slowly strangle.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
    Greetings and salutations....
On 15 May 2004 17:53:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

    I live in Knoxville, which is about 3 hours EAST of Nashville. Depending on what one is looking for, there are a number of interesting places to kill time in the city. There are a few decent bookstores, including a really nice one (Elder's) at Elliston Place (near Vanderbilt). http://www.nashvilleguesthouseinn.com/ellistonplace.html (and by the by, the Elliston Place soda shop has some of the best milkshakes in the state).     Also, down on Broadway is an eclectic little place catering mainly to graphic novel collectors (ok...comic books), Magazines and SF folks. It is called "The Great Escape" and tends to have better prices than Elder's.     Here are more useful "book related" links. http://nashville.citysearch.com/roundup/39250     Now...I don't know if it is still there, but, there was a great surplus junk place called "Javanco" down on 8th ave. It is a SLIGHTLY scary part of town, but, it is really cheap floor space for the warehouse full of wierd stuff that they have accumulated. It was there a couple of years ago, so I expect it still is there.     For poking about in used tools, there is a place called "ReTool", on Old Hickory Blvd (not that this narrows it down, because at times, it seems that half the blasted pavement in Nashville is called Old Hickory <something>). There is one of these shops down in Marietta Ga, and, that one has had some really good deals. At least the one in Marietta HAS been willing to negotiate a bit too...which I like.     Of course, there are the usual "touristy" things to do, but, frankly, I am not really up on that. I tend to avoid that sort of thing when I roll into town.     I hope this helps fill the hours a bit, and, that some of the FINE, friendly folks that read this group that LIVE in Nashville will chime in with more suggestions *smile*.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Dave Mundt responds:

Now some of that seems like fun. I'll cart your list along and do some wandering if I do get all the extra time I predict.
Funny. One of the more famous Old Tool Shops is in Marietta--Ohio. John Walter's place.
Oregon wrote:

Where can I buy socks like that? I've looked around the Delta site and I can't find anything like them. I hope they aren't discontinued like the laser guide on his miter saw. And does anyone know where I can get his shoes as well? (I've already acquired enough flannel that I can do some basic projects.)
|Oregon wrote: | |> Before New Yankee Workshop came on today, an episode of This Old House had |> the crew in Bermuda working on a project. Norm took a tour of a local |> general contractor's home, and for some strange reason, they had him dressed |> in pale yellow shorts, knee high dark socks, and dress shoes. He looked |> like an idiot. Maybe typical for Bermuda, but I bet he was glad when that |> segment was over. |> O. |> |> | |Where can I buy socks like that?
Years ago an idle rich acquaintance of mine, for want of something to do, would drive to Canada to buy knee high socks to complement his shorts. Check with Lee-Valley. [g]
I remember Norm from an early Bob Villa episode as a gangling young fella with his butt-crack showing...I thought he was the plumber. But, seriously folks, I shook hands with Norm at a woodworking show a few years back, and he didn't have the callous edge to his hand. Obvious to me, he doesn't work much wood with those soft paws. But then, the point of NYW is the sale of plate joiners and plastic paints, neither of which a real woodworker would use. Yet, I am a faithful proponent of Norm. Even though one member of my past wive's club would say I only watch the show to ridicule, Norm is a true propagator of the Living Trade. I always learn something, even if it is how not to do something. DAC
Welcome back DA :)
Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com