Norm's shakiness

Page 2 of 2
I didn't see the video you're referring to, but it could be "benign essential tremor." I've got a light touch of it, enough to make writing longhand *extremely* tedious and frustrating, and my handwriting essentially illegible. It's a heritable trait. My Dad, at 89, shakes like a friggin' leaf, and has for years.
http://www.essentialtremor.org /
http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/nord140.asp
Benign Essential Tremor
Synonyms
* Presenile Tremor Syndrome * Tremor, Familial Essential * Tremor, Hereditary Benign
Disorder Subdivisions
* None
General Discussion
Benign Essential Tremor is a neurologic movement disorder characterized by involuntary fine rhythmic tremor of a body part or parts, primarily the hands and arms (upper limbs). In many affected individuals, upper limb tremor may occur as an isolated finding. However, in others, tremor may gradually involve other anatomic regions, such as the head, voice, tongue, or roof of the mouth (palate), leading to difficulties articulating speech (dysarthria). Less commonly, tremor may affect muscles of the trunk or legs.
In individuals with the condition, tremor tends to occur while voluntarily maintaining a fixed posture against gravity ("postural tremor") or while performing certain goal-directed movements ("kinetic intention tremor"). Although tremor is typically absent with rest--i.e., when the affected muscle is not voluntary activated--some individuals with advanced disease may develop resting tremors.
Although symptom onset may occur during childhood or adolescence, the condition most commonly becomes apparent during adulthood, at an average age of 45 years. Benign Essential Tremor is generally considered a slowly progressive disorder. Disease progression is characterized by an increase in tremor amplitude, causing difficulties in performing fine motor skills and varying degrees of functional disability. For example, hand tremor may gradually cause difficulties with manipulating small objects, drinking fluids from a glass, eating, writing, or dressing. (As mentioned above, in some affected individuals, disease progression may also include extension of tremor to other muscle groups.)
Benign Essential Tremor may appear to occur randomly for unknown reasons (sporadically) or be transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait. Researchers suggest that changes (mutations) of different genes may be responsible for the disorder (genetic heterogeneity). For example, during genetic analysis of several affected families (kindreds), investigators located a gene for the disorder, known as "FET1," on the long arm (q) of chromosome 3 (3q13). In another kindred, the disorder was determined to result from mutations of a gene, designated "ETM2," on the short arm (p) of chromosome 2 (2p22-p25).
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:06:57 -0500, Jon Deplumme wrote:

Also, google up "writers cramp".
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.
On 26 Jun 2004 11:56:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ToolMiser) wrote:

That's a comforting thought. <grin>
BTDT, Doc picked up a scalpel for a small incision and his hand stopped shaking.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:28:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@rocketmail.com wrote:

" snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net" wrote:

Resting tremors are like that. Friend of mine is a scrollsaw wizard, but usually his hands shke like something from Blazing Saddles.
Dave In Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work