Norm's shakiness

On closeups of Norm's hands, he is visibly shaking. Is it a medical condition or just too much caffeine?

John

Reply to
falsedawn2

Who the HELL cares?

Reply to
Rumpty

Norm's Liability Insurance Carrier.

Reply to
Vic Baron

I don't know, but it is more noticable in more recent shows.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I bet LRod would know.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
MarkNOSPAM

Geez, chill dude.

I hadn't noticed it. Hope it's not a symptom of a disease and it is just coffee.

Reply to
Creamy Goodness

He's camera shy.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I have noticed that for the past couple of years. Sometimes he has problems fitting small parts together. They usually cut the shot short and change to the finished assembly.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

What is yourrrr problem

Reply to
Lee

FWIW, my dad had a non-progressive tremor--don't recall the medical terminology but it wasn't life-threatening, just annoying. Might also be a problem with blood sugar control--hypoglycemia can cause a tremor. Or maybe he should just force himself to take a break for lunch.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Leon" wrote in news:OfmCc.8304$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com:

I bet LRod would care.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Comment on Norm's woodworking and NOT his physical problems, if any.

Reply to
Rumpty

Have you noticed how much coffee those guys seem to drink on TOH? He probably just needs to switch to decaf.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

You both lose.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

LOL... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I didn't see the video you're referring to, but it could be "benign essential tremor." I've got a light touch of it, enough to make writing longhand *extremely* tedious and frustrating, and my handwriting essentially illegible. It's a heritable trait. My Dad, at 89, shakes like a friggin' leaf, and has for years.

Essential Tremor

Synonyms

  • Presenile Tremor Syndrome * Tremor, Familial Essential * Tremor, Hereditary Benign

Disorder Subdivisions

  • None

General Discussion

Benign Essential Tremor is a neurologic movement disorder characterized by involuntary fine rhythmic tremor of a body part or parts, primarily the hands and arms (upper limbs). In many affected individuals, upper limb tremor may occur as an isolated finding. However, in others, tremor may gradually involve other anatomic regions, such as the head, voice, tongue, or roof of the mouth (palate), leading to difficulties articulating speech (dysarthria). Less commonly, tremor may affect muscles of the trunk or legs.

In individuals with the condition, tremor tends to occur while voluntarily maintaining a fixed posture against gravity ("postural tremor") or while performing certain goal-directed movements ("kinetic intention tremor"). Although tremor is typically absent with rest--i.e., when the affected muscle is not voluntary activated--some individuals with advanced disease may develop resting tremors.

Although symptom onset may occur during childhood or adolescence, the condition most commonly becomes apparent during adulthood, at an average age of 45 years. Benign Essential Tremor is generally considered a slowly progressive disorder. Disease progression is characterized by an increase in tremor amplitude, causing difficulties in performing fine motor skills and varying degrees of functional disability. For example, hand tremor may gradually cause difficulties with manipulating small objects, drinking fluids from a glass, eating, writing, or dressing. (As mentioned above, in some affected individuals, disease progression may also include extension of tremor to other muscle groups.)

Benign Essential Tremor may appear to occur randomly for unknown reasons (sporadically) or be transmitted as an autosomal dominant trait. Researchers suggest that changes (mutations) of different genes may be responsible for the disorder (genetic heterogeneity). For example, during genetic analysis of several affected families (kindreds), investigators located a gene for the disorder, known as "FET1," on the long arm (q) of chromosome 3 (3q13). In another kindred, the disorder was determined to result from mutations of a gene, designated "ETM2," on the short arm (p) of chromosome 2 (2p22-p25).

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jon Deplumme

Listen, a**hole, I happen to love NYW and hope that Norm's condition is not serious enough to affect his doing the show. I have learned much from him.

I always thought woodworkers were a laidback group of people but I guess there's always a bad apple in every group.....

Reply to
falsedawn2

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote angrily:

dave in fairfax

Just to note that there are some conditions/malady's/diseases for which the drugs prescribed cause tremors.

Reply to
Bob Brogan