Norm's new season

Page 1 of 2

As Norm's new season is heading into it's final shows (only 3 remain on my local channel), curious to know what the general consensus is about what people thought of it.
Personally, I thought the shed, the shop aids and the new storage shed were the highlights. The shutters, mantel and router workshop were sort of ok, but nothing that I need or didn't already know.
Looking forward to that wall hung console and chair.
What did you like/didn't like about what has aired?
MJ Wallace
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
> As Norm's new season is heading into it's final shows (only 3 remain on > my local channel), curious to know what the general consensus is about > what people thought of it.
Consider yourself lucky.
Here in SoCal, KOCE is much too busy begging to have time to show NYW.
May have seen 2-3 episodes of this years series.
Lew
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 05:39:21 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Think of us poor mites in the UK! I think we're stuck on repeats from the 90s!!! (just saw coffee table made from recycled pallet bits)
If only someone would encode them and bung them up on the newsgroups.
Cheers,
Andy
--
Andy Jeffries MBCS CITP ZCE | gPHPEdit Lead Developer
http://www.gphpedit.org | PHP editor for Gnome 2

<<Think of us poor mites in the UK! I think we're stuck on repeats from the 90s!!! (just saw coffee table made from recycled pallet bits)>>
I have the same problem on this side of the pond with Time Team. These days, they're not even showing them but the last one I saw was from 2001 or maybe 2002.
Lee

_________________________________

like half the woodworking books I buy are by Brits. BBC America is a standard fare cable channel in America. Norm, David and Roy have proved that woodworking can attract an audience.
Is anyone listening???
<<I don't understand why there aren't any Brit shows in America. It seems like half the woodworking books I buy are by Brits. BBC America is a standard fare cable channel in America. Norm, David and Roy have proved that woodworking can attract an audience.>>
When was the last time they showed Mark Evans building a new vehicle? He must have done something more recent than the motorcycles but I haven't seen anything lately.
And there's a new (to us) show with Handy Andy leading a crew of bickering carpenters which promises to "Increase Your House Price by Ten Grand." How's that for an unwieldy show title? The show basically sucks because they seem to focus more on the personality clashes among the tradesmen rather than on the work they are doing. Its one saving grace is the young blonde painter has purchased herself a rather impressive pair of accessories which she seems quite anxious to show off at every opportunity.
And the "woodworking" on shows like House Invaders makes Norm look like Thomas Chippendale.
Lee

_________________________________
Amused wrote:

I don't know. Are you telling them what you told us?
-jav

You will have 2 or 3 more opportunities to see the repeats before next season. :~)

The way the bega-thons go, he'll probably get to see the same 2-3 episodes repeated. :-(
WHYY in Philadelphia has been begging for three weeks also. IIRC WHYY also has the highest paid executive director for a PBS station. Connection here?
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Ya, me too. Over the past month when I've gone to watch Roy Underhill or Norm, all I get is some cook's marathon and begging for dollars. don't know how they expect to raise dollars by ticking off their viewers by pulling garbage like that.
God how I hate PBS for that. I would much rather have commercials. Besides, when Norm is "brought to you by" Porter Cable, Delta, Minwax, and a hardwood floor, I think they've got it both ways.
Brian

here in Baltimore/Washington they be begging for weeks also. no shows at all
len

at least two weeks. I might prefer ads to the infernal begging. Jim
<<Begging here in North Texas as well. In fact, the begging has gone on for at least two weeks. I might prefer ads to the infernal begging.>>
It just got worse here in CT. Usually they beg during prime time but late at night (after the stations sign off the air) they feed the normal PBS programming to the cable company so despite the fact that locally This Old House is still wrapping up the Cambridge project during it's normal time slot -- whenever they finally get back to showing it in its regular timeslot -- I have been following the Washington DC project in proper sequence by watching at 1 AM. Last night they blew that all to hell because both local PBS stations ran their fundraising crap late into the night. We had some guy yapping about finances on the CT station and Wayne Dyer blathering about whatever BS he specializes in on the MA station.
I'm sure that next Thursday, if they are not still running the begging, when I tune in at 1 AM they will have skipped this week's episode and moved on to the next one. It will probably be about 3 months before I can catch it during some rare non-begging time.
Lee

I get it on PBS also but I don't miss one. I have no idea where the feed comes from but I get it by satilite. Screw the locals.

Thought they had shut that down? IIRC, several years ago, the local PBS stations were up in arms demanding that PBS satellite feeds be stopped because it was impacting their local ratings. (Gosh, wonder why that might be?)

I get it. Direct TV. Had it with Primestar before Direct bought them.

-----+
-----+

Thanks for that tidbit -- I'll have to look for it. What channel is it on DTV?