Norm's Clamping Straightedge

Norm frequently uses a straightedge clamp that looks like it is self aligning 90 degrees from the edge it is clamped to. He uses it to saw straight lines using his skill saw or to make dado cuts using his router.

Where can these things be purchased?

Reply to
GrayFox

Woodbutcher lists it as Tru-Grip clamps. There is also Clamp'N'Tool guides which may be the same thing under adifferent moniker. Amazon and Rockler have them in various lengths.

-- Cheers! Duke

Reply to
Dukester

I have the 50" Trend clamp. It's a useful, if expensive bit of kit. I wouldn't trust it to self-align at 90 degrees, though - I always check it.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

As someone else said, Tru-Grip. Clamp 'n Guide is the sub name on the same product. I've always just referred to them as Tru-Grips because trying to call them Clamp 'n Guides is just too cumbersome.

All of the woodworking suppliers carry them.

One warning; they are NOT self aligning. You can swing them several degrees as you clamp them, so always true them up with a square for right angle cuts. Sometimes the clamping process can shift them just off square, so check after you have tightened them.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

This is the tool:

have two of these things but I would recommend you make a cutting jig that is quicker and more accurate:

need two of these:

A 96" version for full rips on plywood

A 50" versi> Norm frequently uses a straightedge clamp that looks like it is self

Reply to
Pat Barber

Woodcraft carries them. (Both were Birthday presents from the kids.) I have the 50" and 26" guide and use them frequently. (I, also have cutboards set up for my two circular saws.) But the aluminum clamps are IMHO, better to use with a router. They have a very positive lock (and quickly adjustable to desired width), and will not move even with the sideways pressure used to keep a router base against a guide.

In other words, they're neat but they're not indispensible.

James... HINT: They are GREAT presents. Not terribly expensive and useful for just about any woodworker.

Reply to
J&KCopeland

As others have pointed out, these are nice, handy little tools, but don't trust them to be self-aligning.

All brands are not strictly identical, however. I have two of two different makes, and one is thicker than the other. This became an issue when I tried to use them to rout a dado -- the router would not straddle the two guides properly because they were different thicknesses.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

true. here is a tip if you use them to guide a saw or such. on a scrap piece of wood set up the clamp and a piece of clear plastic as wide as the saw base push it against the guide and then use the saw to make a small cut. go both ways. now you can use the spacer to set the guide the right distance from the saw mark every time. just slide it along and you can check the whole cut very fast.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Nice tip Steve.

I'm only a beginner - doing that may have been obvious to the more experienced here, but as a newbie/lurker - thanks!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Jeffries

If you have a virtually unlimited budget, here's some interesting stuff from TruGrip.

Agki Strodon

I cut up a lot of ply using the clamps. and I am terrible at math so I needed that tip (G)

Reply to
Steve Knight

I bought one to use as a router guide. Maybe it is my noob technique but when you get much over 36" in length I find it gives significantly from router pressure. I get more then .01 " flex which doesn't sound like much but for edge to edge glue ups of long boards it can be a problem. A little look up in the engineering books shows a beam deflects as the CUBE of the distance between the two support points. I.E. if you cut a a 16" board with the clamp and pressure causes a .001 deflection, it will be .008 on a 32" board with the same clamp.

But then maybe I just push too hard with the router against the guide...

Reply to
Greg Ostrom

Any woodworking supply house.

I have a 24", a 36" and a 48" one which work after a fashion; however, back up the clamping mechanism with a C-Clamp on each end.

Still prefer the 2"x2"x1/8"x96" aluminum angle and a couple of 3", C-Clamps for all but the short cuts.

Not only is it more functional, it is less costly.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have the Tru-Grip brand "Clamp 'N Tool Guide", 50" long. Works very well WITHOUT need for C-clamps when guiding a router or circular saw. I would NOT call it "self aligning", but "close." I always measure and mark where the clamp is to be placed at both ends. I like it a lot.

Rockler carries them ($39.99 for the 50", a little less for the 36" and 24") and I "think" I've recently seen it at Home Depot. I first saw one in a Rockler store in suburban Detroit, bought it, and it was "carry on" baggage on my return to Dallas/Fort Worth. Since then Rockler has opened stores in this neck of the woods.

Jim Stuyck

Reply to
Jim Stuyck

Greyfox..............you can get one of those straight edges at "rockler.com". I works great and sure beats c clamps. I hope that helps..

Reply to
asdfasdfasdf

On the episode of NYW I watched tonight, Norm was using the straight-edge clamp on the miter saw banch he was making. He mentioned that they had gotten lots of e-mails inquiring about it and said that the information was contained in the "Shop Notes" section of the New Yankee Workshop website. Sure enough, thre it is:

Lee Gordon

Amazon has them at a discount.

Do a search of Tools at Amazon for Griset, and the results will include listings for the 50", 36" and 24" models of the clamp.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Check MLCS they have several sizes at a reasonable price and free shipping.

straight-edge

Dave