Norm's back!

According my Tivo channel guide, there's brand spanking new NYW this weekend on my local PBS. Building a mantle.
After all the rain we have had in NorCal this week - it would be nice to spend some time vegging out with Norm and his merry band of powertools!
MJ Wallace

Awesome, Thanks for the heads-up. I'm ready to watch some brad nails fly! :) Gotta love that guy..
--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmelissa/woodworking_frames.htm

Dave,
You don't have to use the same woods he uses to make one of his projects. I think Marks has a lot to offer. It was refreshing to watch him after years of watching Norm who only makes antique reproductions.
I think they are both pretty swell. :)
--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmelissa/woodworking_frames.htm

Ever notice how stingy Marks is with the expensive woods? Always (well, most of the time) uses them as veneers and makes one board cover several projects. The corner shelf he did used stain on cherry to match the wenge highlights. I recently started to build a chess board following the design Marks did on one of his shows. I was going to use wenge but switched to good old american walnut for the dark but I splurged and bought a piece of curly maple for the light. By using the veneering technique I actually got three chess boards out of both woods and could have gotten more had I cut the veneers to 3/32" like Marks does....my veneers were 1/4" thick because I didn't have the confidence to work with such a thin material with all the glue up, scraping/sanding I knew I'd be doing.
Yes Norm is more down to earth. A good example is the chest he did (Jamaican I think) where the original had some pretty intricate type of dovetail joint. Norm used regular dt's due to time and if I remember correctly, the innability to do that in the NYW shop!
I've learned a lot from watching both and often do it Norm's way when I wish I could do it Marks' way as fast as he is able to do it on tv........
Now I sit here waiting for a collar bone to heal so I can get back in the shop and finish all the chess boards I started.
Gary
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmm, Ive looked for the the show on the three stations available in my area. KCET Los Angeles, KVCR San Bernardino, KLCS Los Angeles. I'm not getting any listings for the show. Anyone else getting the same results? KOCE in Orange County is showing the show but It's not offered by Charter Cable in my area.
Rich, in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. yes there really is a Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

How much would you like to wager that KOCE will use the time begging rather than showing NYW?
Lew
NO bet. Thats what KCET did before they canceled NYW.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:04:29 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

If you check the KOCE web site, you will find the show the first episode of the 2006 series on 01/28/06.
So what else is new?
BTW, sent a teaser e-mail to KCET today.
Lets see what happens.
Lew
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:36:10 -0500, Javier Henderson
[top posted for your convenience]
Scraper: 2003, Episode 1512, French Side Table.

No vacuum press, yet, though.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

LOL... Block a flitch of that imported (straw) mdf from China through the bandsaw for that exotic look? Are stains allowed?