Norm "joke"

Saw the following on a van while I was driving to work today:
" A-1 Construction/Design
When Norm can't make it"
Wondering how many would get this?
MJ Wallace

LOL.. That might be a wasted slogan. If you get it, you may be able to do it yourself. If you don't get it, it probably would be of no appreciated value.
Does this have anything to do with that character from "Cheers"? (Just kidding, but that Norm may jump to mind before The Norm in many people's minds) Marc

I'd guess a good bit of the population that's in to home improvement type stuff would get it. But either way, a lot of people WOULDN'T get it - I wonder if people would assume "Norm" stood for "normal", and assume this contractor is saying he's just a cut above average? It's a stretch... I once had a college professor who said he included jokes in his lectures primarily to entertain himself, but if we wanted to laugh, that'd be fine. It seems like this is the same situation - this guy has to know that many people won't "get" his ad, but he's just doing it for fun. I like it! Andy

When Norm doesn't have the skills When Norm doesn't have the time
Cute double entendre. <yawn>
Every time I see the word 'Norm"...what I hear in my head is: "Good afternoon, everybody!"

I hear "before we use any power tools, let's take a moment to talk about shop safety" and wonder if he just doesn't care if you eviscerate yourself with a draw knife.

OK, I think about the available measured "drawERings" for that chest of Draws.
"Leon" wrote in message

"We'll just cover this with a top" ... as he unfolds a tarp.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

_________________________________
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:48:18 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant the tarp.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Yep, IIRC he was in Dallas talking to a Texan. We don't understand Boston Yankee very well. We like to pronounce all our letters and add a few extras.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:26:10 GMT, "Leon"

Good friend from Rhode Island moves to Mississippi, goes into Sears looking for some parts to repair his chain link fence. Kept asking the sales person where he could get some "pots". She kept sending him to housewares.
He lives in Katy now, and I'm sure he is confusing you Texans on a daily basis.
Frank
<<No kidding. In an Ask This Old House episode a while back he actually had the homeowner putting some dirt on top and had to explain he meant the tarp.>>
That's exactly the instance I was referring to. I'm sure Norm also has a "funny" way of saying "tarp" (you can check it in the NYW "Sandbox"" episode) but it's not quite as Bostonian as Roger's.
Lee

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message

A rose by any other name ... or is that lemons?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Having lived in South Texas and Spanish being the second language, there comes the South Texas slant on word pronunciation. Many years ago while still working in the automotive business a Hispanic mechanic came to me and requested a set of Brake Shoes for the vehicle that he was working on. Naturally there was 2 drum sizes to choose from, 11 or 12 inch IIRC. I asked which shoe size he needed and of course he did not know.
He exclaimed, I done no wish size choose to shoes?