Norm gone from HGTV?

Page 1 of 3
Just checked to see what upcoming shows HGTV was gonna show of Norm. Well, looks like Norm is gone. Entire month of March, no Norm.
Scrub
I get him on hgtv Sunday mornings @ 7AM CST which I record so that I can fast forward through the commercials.

All I have left of Norm on HGTV is Sunday a.m. also. I have two PBS stations one of which carries him on Saturday at noon and the other on sunday at 6:30. This is of course only when they are not fundraising or running some obscure show.
I wrote to HGTV several years back when they first took Norm off they daily a.m. slot, obviously it didn't work. Anyone have DIY network? I'm thinking about upgrading my cable service to get DIY. Does DIY have any good shows or just more of the "drive by paint & primp" shows currently on HGTV?
--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

DIY isn't much better than HGTV. They've really gone after the housewife. You have to search to find any cool tool shows. Hardly worth the added cost in my opinion.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program. If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed. HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

It was quite disappointing when HGTV and DIY announced their new format. They broke the week down into days and each day was targeted at a certain audience, or interest. Specifically missing from that target list was woodworkers like the group gathered in here. Guess we aren't a very large or a very profitable number.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:15:44 -0500, the inscrutable "Mike Marlow"

We're not filthy-rich, bored, and mind-numbed folks, their target audiences, eh? <sigh>
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

In the past few months, I've taken to watching and often recording Holmes on Homes on HGTV. He's a renovations expert not a finished carpenter, but I enjoy watching and learning when he fixes the mistakes and fuckups that other contractors do to people's homes.
Upscale wrote:

Gotta agree with you -- a great program. Comedy, tragedy and a bit of wood-working. What more can you ask for?
Can you imagine being one of the contractors that did the shoddy work being repaired? Not sure that some of them could be embarrassed though.... But to have your work highlighted... At least some of the neighbours will know and I am sure the word of mouth spreads the names in at least the immediate area...
My sister had a reno done by one of those guys -- at least I am pretty sure it was one of those guys Holmes outed. Cut out floor joists, chopped off wiring, no vapour barrier, etc. $40K later... the job was fixed properly.... No permits on the original job of course...
I am pretty sure she never watched Holmes or it would have never happened. :-(
We had a house like that once ... closets lined with cardboard, wiring done with lamp cord, bathroom floors rotting out. Had to reno the whole thing. We knew what we had bought -- but it was still a painful job.
--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Strange. I don't see that program on the HGTV.com lineup and don't recall seeing it in the sat directory. I find "Homes to Go" and "Homes Across America" but no "Holmes" turns up in a search of the site. Curious.
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

It's a Canadian based show and filmed up here. Maybe it's filtered from US content.
<<DIY's lone saving grace is David Marks' "Wood Works" program. If I could have only one, I'd choose HGTV, though some of their better programs are gone. Ground Force was one I thoroughly enjoyed. HGTV has really gone after the housewife, too. Frackin' pukeyhomes.>>
Ground Force is on BBC America, not HGTV.
Lee

DIY channel has a great woodworking show called Wood Work or Woodworking (not "DIY Woodworking" that is a completely different show, and is not as good in my opinion).
This is just that that show is currently showing re-run only. I haven't seen any new show lately.
I really like that show in addition to Norm's "New Yankee Workshop". Both are good.
But now I have switched from DirecTV to DISH Network, and I have dropped DIY because of the much higher cost of subscribing to the TV programming package that includes DIY. Good thing I still be able to watch Norm's show.
Jay Chan
On 1 Mar 2005 06:19:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not on HGTV.
I was referring to Ray's question (message# 3 in this thread) about whether there is any good woodworking show in DIY. DIY is a TV channel that is similar to HGTV. And yes that woodworking show is not available in HGTV.
Jay Chan
Is this the show with David Marks? Shop appears to be in a basement, very high quality projects and awesome tools. I may have seen this a couple times during the DIY previews that HGTV occasionally runs.
Like the show but he is way out of my league, I am years away from even attempting pieces that nice.
--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

His shop, IIRC is about 1600 sqft and is an old barn that was on his property. In CA. He's got a killer bandsaw, jointer and lathe.
Yes, that is his show. His shop is on ground level inside a barn; he gave a tour of his shop in one of his show.
Although there are many things in his show that I doubt I will ever try (the use of vacuum press, intricate inlays...etc), I surely can pick up some tips from his shows here and there (use of Tung Oil, put blue tapes around glue joint...etc). Moreover, watching the show itself is a joy.
Jay Chan
TOP POSTER ALERT!!!
By George you're right. Just checked zap2it listings as well as HGTV website...sure enough, no Norm. Los Angeles PBS station KGET dropped the show some time back. I can still get this year's shows on KOCE and KVCR. Don't know how long this'll last. I also get Roy Underhill on one of those stations. Seems that old woodworkers never die, they just fade away. Oh yeah, regarding the top posting; that's the default setting, and I LIKE IT!

I wish everyone would top post. It's a pain in the arch having to scroll down to the bottom of the post to get at a reply. Especially, when most readers of the NG already know what the crux of the original message already was.