Norm'ed out...not yet!

I bought this DVD recorder about a month ago. I'm in the process of transferring all my VHS tapes to DVD. Of course, my collection of NYW gets priority.
I'm up to 1995 (#13 = chimney cupboard).
I have to admit that I am really enjoying watching the old shows. Some are from HGTV - and quite harshly edited (by HGTV) - I really like the episodes that I taped off PBS (ugh - I used to contribute) - they have a little more detail (about 4 minutes worth I think).
It is interesting to see how Norm progresses through the years - and the variety of tools that he uses. I think that I have seen at least three 12" planers, several jointer/planer combos, a couple miter/sliding miter saws and a few lathes. One thing that has not changed is the biscuit joiner - Lamello. I don't hink that he has used any other so far (6 years). Check LRod for confirmation.
So each morning lately, I brew a fresh pot of 'lite' Jo for SWMBO & myself. Pick up the papers off the driveway and sit back to another 4 or 5 episodes of NYW. SWMBO sits patiently reading about the Phillies lastest debacle or doing the daily crossword.
Really enjoying this exercise tho - doesn't take much when you're retired - which is the great thing about it!
For some reason, I missed most of season 15 (the 'flagpole' season), and a couple here and there - around 18 total.
Do I really need the "easel" episode?
Well...yes I do!
Around 10:00. my workday begins - new trim around all the windows/doors in the family room. New roof later this month (local contractor of course).
Exciting times.
Lou ------- Send a donation if you can.

I would question the missing parts in the HGTV versions of the shows. I would imagine that the length of the show to be about 28 minutes on PBS after the "brought to you by" commercials before and after the show.
Normal 30 minute series are actually 18 minutes long on commercial TV. That leaves a whole 10 minutes missing from the HGTV version. Even if we figured that at 7 minutes that is still a lot to miss.
I still think it is sick that PBS sold any of their shows off. More so after they fired good old Bob for making a buck.
SIDE NOTE: M.A.S.H. was the last "rebel" TV series to force the previous 23 minute version of their show after the networks switched to an 18 minute run time. Funny how we never noticed.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
<<I would question the missing parts in the HGTV versions of the shows. I would imagine that the length of the show to be about 28 minutes on PBS after the "brought to you by" commercials before and after the show.>>
At one time this was the case, but no longer. PBS programming used to occupy about 27 minutes out of each half hour. In recent years the actual content has shrunk to closer to 23 minutes plus a minute or two for grantor acknowledgements. I assume this is the case so that they can re-sell their programs to commercial broadcasters without having to bother with re-editing (whatever happened to "If PBS doesn't do it, who will?"). This, of course, leaves them with six minutes to fill at the end of each half hour. Do they use any of that time to unobtrusively ask for money (i.e. a compelling 30 second announcement requesting a donation vs. the 20-minutes-at-a-clip beg-a-thons)? Nope. They fill the void each half hour with the same stupid promos over and over again. If I see that kid talk about going to St. Louis and eating foot-long hot dogs and a bridge made of cake one more time I may throw a brick through the TV.
Lee

_________________________________

As a tivo owner, I can tell you 30 minute shows are not 18 minutes. But I will also vouch that the last 15 minutes of news might contain 3.
If you won't like rapes, murders, and other meaningless news drivel, the whole shebang can be watched in under 7 minutes.
Alan
Chris:

Keep in mind, that TOH, NYW, ATOH,and ITOH (Inside TOH) are owned by the production company. NOT PBS. PBS is a network and as such only airs shows it buys from other production places. It may have their own shows (I think NOVA, American Experience, etc are theirs), but Sesame Street and others are owned by other companies.
PBS didn't sell NYW to HGTV - Time Warner who now owns all of the property did and does. Before that Russell Morash the producer of NYW and TOH probably owned the rights to sell older shows. Given that the PBS audience would not support ad-infinitum repeats of TOH and NYW, it has been great to see them again on HGTV and DIY. I am hoping for an "TOH - all the time" channel. Perhaps one day.
MJ Wallace
Time Warner "owns" TOH and NYW ???
I thought WGBH(Boston PBS ???}) owned those shows..
I went and looked: http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/timewarner.asp
It would appear that Time Warner does own the "magazine" but what about the shows ???
snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com wrote:

Pat:

Going to thisoldhouse.com reading down on the web site I spotted this:
-- COPYRIGHT 2005 THIS OLD HOUSE VENTURES, INC. A TIME4 MEDIA COMPANY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. REPRODUCTION IN WHOLE OR IN PART WITHOUT PERMISSION IS
--

Watch the credits at the end of the show. It will show
TIME4 Media as the owner of the copyright.

_________________________________

Biscuit Joiners                Episodes Delta 32-100 Biscuit Joiner        308, 508 DeWalt 682 Biscuit Joiner        701, 804 Elu 2278 Biscuit Joiner            203-501 Lamello Top-20 Biscuit Joiner        506- Lamello Cordless 10 Biscuit Joiner        901 Porter-Cable 556 Biscuit Joiner        312-406 Porter-Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner        9907+
There have been a couple of episodes where he's used both the Lamello and the P-C in the same episode. He hasn't given up the P-C entirely, but you're right, the Lamello is the king. He has, however, cut down on biscuit use the last couple of seasons.
PBS vs HGTV--it's only about 2 minutes or so of lost time. The PBS episodes are 24 minutes and the HGTV average 22. I had an overlap of four or five episodes in '98 in which I had both a PBS tape and an HGTV tape and compared them. I couldn't find anything substantive that had been removed--a setup for sawing, or a planing operation, for example.
Thanks for thinking of me.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

That is sure promising to hear, if in fact is only 2 minutes actually missing. I might time the next to confirm. Maybe PBS made some deal to get the longer time slot?
That does bring up the question as to who is editing out the 2 minutes (or whatever it might be). Is it a wood worker? Norm himself? Or some "slaky" TV jock? I would rather have the PBS versions if I were to go through the trouble.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:57:29 +0100, LRod wrote:

Do you have a life? 8^)
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

What worries me more is that Norm himself could not answer as accurate.
I would not be surprised if someone does not have a shrine erected around a Norm figure.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Chris wrote:

Why not? I know a guy who has a shrine to Roy Underhill. Cutest little thing. A grotto made of bandaids and...

One of the strange things in Cuba when I used to have to go there were the shrines and grottos where the image of the Virgin had been removed and replaced by that of Jose Marti. Trouble is, down there you couldn't tell what was spontaneous and what was state-deliberate.
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Glen

Which means it would surprise you if there was. Me, too.
Them double negatives is tricky.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
does anyone know if copy right laws would be broken by trading missing episodes of new yankee workshop to fill in our recorded seasons ?
On 11 Sep 2005 10:44:14 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net"

almost certainly..... what do you have/need?
: )