Norm and safety

Has anyone else noticed that Norm's safety glasses lack side shields? They don't do much good without them.

Walt

Reply to
walt

"walt" wrote in news:886dnZfK7IdSLj3VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ll.net:

He had side shields originally, but they were just glued on without any brads to hold them, and, well... you can see the result.

Reply to
Elrond Hubbard

Too funny.

Reply to
samson

Many safety glasses lack explicit side shields, but are a more stylish "wraparound" type with curved lenses that give similar protection.

Anything with a current CSA approval must provide side impact protection.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

No biscuits either....

Reply to
David G. Nagel

They seem to be working though.

Reply to
Leon

It is an oxymoron to have Norm and safety in the same sentence.

Norm's safety lapses are legendary. I sometimes just cringe when I see him do certain things. Other times I just cover my eyes. My wife finds these thing to be very amusing and always asks me to explain what he is doing wrong.

I am certain that many of these things are done for the camera. But I tend to think that anybody who flat out ignores this many safety practices is just old school and really doesn't know about them.

We all know some old fart who does everything wrong, doesn't eat right, drinks too much, etc, etc. And they outlive all of us and have a good life. I think that Norm fits into that catagory.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Norm's not bad at all compared to the guys at woodworkingonline.com. I think they make great videos but I've literally cringed during a few of their demonstrations. Most of it from people running their hands too close to the blade. I suppose it could look safer in real life than on camera though.

Reply to
dayvo

He always has that disclaimer that the guard has been removed for TV. My guess he hasn't seen that guard since he set up his saw.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

"> He always has that disclaimer that the guard has been removed for TV.

How many of us do know where the guard for the TS is? I know right where mine is, under the workbench where it is nice and safe. Other tools all have the guards in place and working, but the TS had it' removed the first day.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

I do. It's on my saw and is always there except when I can't use it (ie. non through cuts). Sure it's a bit inconvenient at times but I got past that. Cheers, cc

Reply to
Cubby

... snip

These threads are always amusing, ranging from expressions of extreme fear of the smallest detail forgotten to seeing little wrong with what is being done or "that's the way I do it".

Ran across this bookmark at work today, it has a number of interesting items that, IMO, fall into both categories and between. Some of the pictures are just flat out so outrageous you wonder how anyone could come up with the idea to even attempt such a stunt and there are others that one looks at and thinks that it probably looks worse than it really is, particularly to the persons performing the work. I find some of the comments to be somewhat condescending and more or less paternalistic, while others are pointing out some obvious issues:

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Reply to
mapdude

Mine is safely mounted on the overhead arm with the dust collection hose. I use it almost without exception just for that little edge it gives me. chickenshit, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I use mine when I'm doing an operation that it doesn't interfere with. I can use all the help I can get. I watched a guy ripping plywood one time stumble and lay his thumb on the blade when he tried to catch himself. Wouldn't have lost the thumb if the guard was in place.

Reply to
tom

mapdude wrote in news:lr6dncBvho-MZz3VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

My old Craftsman saw was actually safer without the guard. The splitter/guard support was bent the wrong way, so when you tried to push a piece of wood through the saw it'd cut and then hang up on the guard support, but only enough to put pressure against the piece. We all know what pressure against the piece and thus the blade can lead to...

My new saw actually supports adjusting where the splitter/guard support is in relation to the blade. If it's out 1/64", a little adjustment here and there puts it where it should be.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Sorry John, I don't see the chickenshit. After all my years in the trades, I still have all my original equipment, less a little gray matter.

I think it is perfectly fine for the Saturday afternoon guy to take the guards off all his tools. The more fingers that are lopped off, hands that are damaged, legs that are hacked open simply translates into more work for someone like me.

I love to read about that wild man, that guy that is striking a blow for personal independence, that maverick that disables or takes off any safety feature on tool. I will stand next to him and wave my fist in the air "givin' to the the sombitch that tries to tell me what to do" with great gusto, knowing, sooner or later the odds are on my side.

A lapse of judgment, a moment of inattention, a miscalculation, a slip, working a when a little too tired, not understanding the tool's limitations (or theirs), too much in a hurry, overconfidence with the tools, mechanical failure (blade throws a tooth, router bit breaks, a belt breaks), an unexpected surprise (a knot shooting out of a piece of wood) and on and on with all the other things that go on when using a tool are the things I wait for. They bring me business.

Sadly, most home shop guys don't actually use their tools enough for the icy hand of the odds to finally be resting on their shoulder. An occasional bookcase or glider isn't usually going to cut it.

But on the other hand, if all the guards are taken off tools and there is no significant eye and dust protection, I figure my odds go way up for getting new business.

Sadly, I know I may have lost a customer for my woodworking skills when I go to their house for an estimate only to see most guards and guides for the tools in use as well as dust masks, and good lighting.

They admit that usually this is due to a self inflicted injury and they don't want to "take a chance on an accident anymore".

Weenies.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's where mine is also.

When I went to the 12/14" saw, the overhead guard was the next purchase.

The splitter is another pain in the ass, but I use that also.

jo4hn wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

"Lee Michaels" wrote

About the only move that makes me involuntarily turn my head is when Norm runs 1 1/2" x 3/4" stock over a dado stack, with one hand, or both, pushing down over the blade.

I guess I'm just a sissy ...

Reply to
Swingman

You ain't a sissy, my hand doesn't get anywhere NEAR the blade. I'd prefer to keep all my fingers intact - you know how hard it is to win a highpower match missing digits?

Reply to
Eigenvector