Norm Abrams cutout detained in attempted burglary

This is from this mornings Spokesman Review, the local newspaper here in Spokane. It also made the 11 oclock news last night,

----------------------------------------------------------- Cops collar cardboard cutout in garage burglary

Spokane Valley Police Department officers descended on a home in the Ponderosa neighborhood Thursday morning, guns drawn, and successfully detained a life-size cardboard cutout of Norm Abrams without incident.

Officers were called to the home on East 48th shortly after 10 a.m. for a reported burglary in progress A. woman called Crime Check and said her garage door was open and she could see a man standing there, said police department spokesman Cpl. Dave Reagan.

The woman said her dog was barking, but the man was not moving. She described him as thin 6 feet tall and wearing a dark shirt and blue jeans.

Officers Aaron Childress and Jim Reed responded with Sgt. Martin O'Leary. After they closed in on the garage, they discovered the suspect burglar was a cardboard representation of Abram, the popular carpenter on the "This Old House" and "The New Yankee Workshop: television shows.

The woman apparently did not know the cutout was in the garage, Reagan said.

Reply to
Rick Sherman

Thin?!?

The cutout must have been standing at an angle!

Reply to
Bruce Adams

And no mention of flannel????

Reply to
Norm Underwood

Lord, that's funny! I sympathize with her though ... for brief second every time I walk into a Lowes I think that guy standing there by the door is real.

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
bentcajungirl

I was at an outdoor party once where I briefly fell in love with a cardboard cutout of Daisy Fuentes that seemed to be leaning up against a tree talking to some other partygoers. At 30 yards and half in the bag she looked pretty real for a moment :-)

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

Good thing she wasn't vinyl/blowup or you might have had to marry her.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

And she's been parking there *how* long?

Important point: cars should stay in the driveway, and not be allowed in your shop. :-)

Kevin Car-free double garage since 1992

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I'll bet she heard it say 'Well, good morning'!

Rick Sherman wrote:

Reply to
""Nobody"

Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your handguns. Knowing how to use your armaments properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury.

And remember this--there is no more important safety rule than to use this: your brain.

Reply to
Wolf Lahti

Reminds me of the movie "The Lonely Guy" with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

While sitting waiting in the car my sister in law became convinced that a man was looking at her from a house window. She decided he was a lonely shut-in looking out on the world. Then she decided that he looked rather sinister and got anxious. In fact it was a cardboard cutout of Ernie Harwell (there was a campaign to keep him on at the Tigers). She made an appointment with the optometrists later that day!

Reply to
Don Mackie

Now you understand a "Black Seal" moment. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre