Norm

Page 1 of 5

I love watching NYWS and TOH, but it seems like any references to him on here are people making fun of him. Is Norm not as good as we are lead to believe?
Locutus wrote:

I watch just about every week, and am slowly (56k dialup) downloading some of his episodes, I don't like the fact that he uses brads all the time, but he is on a time crunch, he trends to over complicate things as well.
I really like when he show how to build and use jigs, looking at one in a book and seeing how to use it.
--
_________________________
if corn oil comes from corn,

What time crunch is he under? You really don't believe he completes his project in 27 minutes, do you? They could certainly allow the glue to dry the proper amount of time without the brad nailer - he often sets tabletop glue-ups on the floor leaning against his drill press until "tomorrow morning" - so brad-less gluing and editing the video ought to work just fine for other aspects of assembly as well.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Ah that really made me laugh... Thanks!

How much time do you think that would add to the taping? How many $ per hour do you think the crew and equipment costs?

Where can you download episodes? I've only seen VHS offered?
Download Limewire search for Woodworking and woodworking, two different searches, and you should get something, searches do take a while, and there are lots of other wood working stuff as well John Grossbohlin wrote:

--
_________________________
if corn oil comes from corn,

Actually Norm is pretty darn good up until it comes to finishing, IMHO.
True but at least he admits it.

IMHO a decent finish is not hard to achieve. I wonder if it is simply the time period that he is going for. Surely Norm has the ability. Perhaps he simply tries to copy furniture store finishes. :~)

Does he mention the brand names of the finishes he uses?

Minwhacks is a sponsor....

IIRC David Marks uses a disguised General Finishes can.
Norm, probably uses Miniwax which would explain a lot.

Over the years, I have developed a love/hate relationship with Minwax products. Some of their stains I liked using, their standard poly is so-so..but I think their latex clear is every bit as nice as Benjamin Moore's..which is pretty darn good stuff.
I would think that as Minwax is a NYWS sponsor, they'd pay a lot more attention to the finishing aspect. After all, it is THE single deciding step whether you end up looking good or sucking big time. Maybe they are selling to the general public concentrating on How Fast This Shit Goes On?
There are no amateurs running Norm's show..there has to be a reason why they treat the finishing the way they do.
*shrugs* dunno...

I like the Minwax finishing wax. It is a great screw lube. I started off using the "good stuff" in the beginning and on occasion used what the customer brought me from a hardware store or the Borg. Typically it was a Minwax stain and typically every other piece had spots that would not accept the stain. Oddly my own stain would cover the spot. I learned to use my stain in these spots after sanding and scraping the spot did not help the Minwax stick.

One would think that but that guy on WoodWorking that makes Norm look like the Rembrandt of furniture builders by comparison, uses a lot of Miniwax products. He is the one that does not know that a SCMS is not a RAS and, I swear, must use 60 grit sand paper against the grain as his final touch before applying stain. I saw Norm visit him at the Minwax facility while they talked about stains. That is probably the whole problem.

Well I think they are looking for volume and realize that for the most part they don't have many pro's using their product as a first choice. If you have never heard of the good brands and only stained a project or 2 in your life time how are you going to know there are better products or where to get them when a Borg is close by.

Well there are many many people out there that like that look. Furniture stores are loaded up with the stuff with similar finishes. I have built beautiful pieces for customers and they loved the finish and then turn around and show me their favorite "this or that" and I would believe you if you told me that the surface was Formica. Typically you see no grain and most of the time I don't know if it is wood or painted MDF. LOL

Yeah.
Leon wrote:

But Norm probably has sponsors. You can't be showing finishing wood with anything too simple lets the folks dont line up to buy the fancy stuff. It could just be Norm's tongue in cheek way of protesting.
--
Thank you,

I too like watching Norm, I just don't care for the stains & finishes that he uses. I've always like the many different approaches he uses from one project to another (with the exception of that brad nailer that's' ever so prevalent). Norm has opened my eyes to different ways of approaching a design and build. His projects are on a level of practicality where as many of David Marks projects belong in a home I've never lived in or even walked in before.....
Gar

All I know is that he is a lot better than me. (Or maybe he just doesn't show his failures). Jim
Locutus wrote:

Yes and no.
He generally does quite a good job on the projects but as some folks have noted his finishes leave a bit to be desired. I will note that he bills himself as a "master carpenter", not a "master cabinetmaker" and I have no argument with that title.
There are certainly people out there that can run rings around him in the furniture / cabinetry world, however they don't have TV shows probably due in large part to their projects taking months to complete rather than the perhaps one week of Norm's typical projects. Additionally Norm's projects and his techniques are generally within reach of the capabilities of a committed weekend woodworker.
Just my $0.10
Pete C.

If you look at the bottom of his "New Yankee Workshop Web Cam" page (http://www.newyankee.com/yankeecam.php ), he has a list of this season's projects that shows the shooting dates. Apart from the Router Workshop and a Storage Shed (3 days each), all of the projects were shot in two days.
They've put up a slideshow for each day of shooting (nearly 600 pictures/day!) -- among other things, it shows how much downtime they have during the shooting. There are a *lot* of shots of Norm & what must be the producer just standing around the set.
--
I was punching a text message into my | Reed Snellenberger
phone yesterday and thought, "they need | GPG KeyID: 5A978843