NonGloat - a least it wasn't a fire

Last night I waited patiently for 12/13 midnight to log onto Woodcraft for the super-duper Delta sale. I was going to purchase the 13" planer, because after all the discounts and rebates it was hard to justify getting the DeWalt DW735. So a few minutes before midnight, my fire radio alerted for an alarm activation. After the famous Woodcraft clamp sale on which I got skunked I decided not to respond as a volunteer firefighter. Logging on and getting to the Delta Sale page by 12:05am, I found the 13" joiners sold out and up to full list price when reordered. I've now been burnt twice by Woodcraft, but fortunately it was a tripped alarm without a fire, so at least those folks didn't get burnt.

Today, comparing list price to list price I ordered a DW735 from Lowes off their web interface. Had a confirmation in seconds and picked it up this evening without incident. Customer service at Lowes was a little tentative in dealing with a web order & pickup, but after about 10 minutes what impressed me was the guy from the hardware department carrying the 100lb box accross 3/4 of the store by hand. He did put it in a cart to get it to my truck :) So now all I have to do is wait for Santa to make the final delivery!!

So in summary ... Woodcraft rots (again) and the Blue Borg comes through with a somewhat scarce item! Go figure!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry McCaffrey

Why not just go to your Woodcraft store and have them order the planer for you at the sale price? No, you don't get to take it home and make sawdust that day, but you'll have it in a few days. Works for me.

Bob

Reply to
bob

bobthebuilder responds:

Works best if you're within reasonable driving distance of one of the stores, too.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

Yup. Only thing near here is Woodworkers Warehouse, which looks like a plague of locusts picked over the shelves after only 3 days of the liquidation. Woodworkers Warehouse will be missed! The guys in the Flemington, NJ store, Daryl and Bruce, were knowledgable and helpful and prices were good. Went back to an independent store in northern NJ from where I moved 20 years ago and it looked like they went to sleep shortly after I left. I was hoping Woodcraft might pick up the slack in this area, but now I'm not sure.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry McCaffrey