Noise cancelling head gear for the shop?

I've been thinking about getting some noise canceling headphones for the shop and while I'm out on the tractor, might be good when my sister in law is around also.

What do you guys use?

Thanks,

cm

Reply to
cm

I have a set of Radians. They work great however, I find that I forget to turn them off and run the batteries down. When on and properly adjusted you hear normal sounds up until a loud noise and then they work like regular hearing protectors, they muffle every thing.

If I were to do it again I think I would prefer to have a set that cancels loud sounds and plays music. I normally listen to music anyway so music from the hearing protectors should not be a distraction.

Reply to
Leon

I've found that music is a distraction simply because I like to listen to the music. That loses some degree of concentration on what I'm doing, whether it be working in the shop or driving.

If you can work without losing any concentration, you aren't listening to the music anyway - you might as well not have it.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Depends on how much "cancelling" you want to do. Short of standing next to the muzzle of a 300 Winchester magnum or near a F4 Phantom jet with afterburners kicked in, I get by with EAR foam ear plugs (Classic). These have flat ends. Rounded ends are near useless, at least in my ears.

more cancelling, as in the two exceptions above, I still use the EAR plugs, but add muffs. Stay away from the mechanical "filtered" ear plugs, as they are junk and a waste of money. When it comes to muffs, you can go crazy, from HFT cheapos --which work just fine-- to $300 titanium electronic laser guided satellite linked nonsense. Your ears, your money. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've been using these for several years. I like the ability to wear the "head" band *behind* my head in case I'm also wearing a face shield.

Max

I'm with Larry, I work in the shop as a means of putting the square pegs back in the square holes and the round pegs in the round holes.

The rest get swept up and dumped.

Tried having a radio set to an NPR station for awhile, but it soon became little more than background noise and turned it off.

Peace and quiet are WONDERFUL.

Tool noise excluded.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I consider the sound of a power tool to be a warning to pay *extra* attention, so the last thing I need is music loud enough to distract me from what I'm doing. I keep a small radio in the shop that becomes inaudible if I'm wearing the earmuff-style hearing protectors I use with noisy power tools, it's a nice balanced system.

Reply to
DGDevin

Naw, I have got to have sound other that machines.

Reply to
Leon

rockler sells a pair for about 30$ - I like them. Most of the time, i leave the noise cancelling off.

Reply to
sheldon.mandel