No such thing as "safe"

In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors, scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with my safety glasses.
None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from bleeding all over the work.
Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt, I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

I hurt myself 2 times in the past month with my hearing protection.... I have large ear muff type, nice and cushy... except when you put them on in a hurry, get the left side on and have the right slip out at full spring tension.... The earpiece always seem to spin around and crack me in the head... hurts like all get out..
--
Rick Nagy
3024 Somerset Pike

Nearly killed myself three years ago when it turned out that my old rappel device was too big for my new rope (next time I will check before going over the cliff...), but that is rather different; the safety device failed to protect me, rather than hurting me directly.
Been there done that Tim, I lost 6 front teeth to a bad ascender. But boy let me tell ya that drop was incredible, till my teeth decided to try and grab ahold of something for me!
Searcher

Dang if I know. Went to put it on, one muff slipped out of my hand and whacked me in the head. I didn't think anything about it until I rubbed the spot where it hit a little bit later and then put red fingerprints on the board I was sanding (I wear the earmuffs when I'm sanding because the shop vac attached to the sander is _loud_).

Glad you survived. Hope there was no lasting harm.

pulled the rope from below, which stopped me. Otherwise it would have made the worst woodworking accident look like nothing.
Tim wrote:

in the right doesn't mater the size of the rope. so says the climber with 2 plates 7 screws form popping on a 5.6 - 5.7 trad climb, all the pro in the world wont help if you don't place it, and no climb is so easy that you don't need to bother until your 20'+ up.

Interesting that you say that. My exciting rap was from bailing when I found the second pitch was an unprotected 5.4 for about 50'. The guide book didn't mention it and I wasn't willing to try it even as second.

Mac
UH HUH... darn smoke stings too!! No wonder they try to convince us smoking is bad for us... Troy
mac davis wrote:

My son and I went into Lowe's yesterday and loaded up 6 sheets of T1-11. Noticing 2 staples sticking out of the edge of one of the sheets I promptly pulled out my pocket knife to remove the staple as I knew that I would be scratched by the exposed end before we got home with it. During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb and I had to follow a sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to find me a band aid. Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.
Leon wrote:

Thanks. I remember now that I have not yet put a first aid kit in my new car. Ditto for a fire extinguisher.
--

FF

I wish they'd find some other way to attach the tags and things. Those staples are a pain to deal with. There's always two or more in just about every board.
Puckdropper

Most of the time I just trim the end of my finger off with the knife during the "removing" phase.
Blood in my truck is nothing new...
Leon wrote:

as he tried to find me a band aid. Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Exactly what I did.