No such thing as "safe"

In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors, scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with my safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt, I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

Reply to
J. Clarke

When I do that my wife calls me a KLUTZ

Reply to
Warren Weber

Can't say that I have. How do you cut yourself with hearing protection.

Nearly killed myself three years ago when it turned out that my old rappel device was too big for my new rope (next time I will check before going over the cliff...), but that is rather different; the safety device failed to protect me, rather than hurting me directly.

Reply to
Tim

Been there done that Tim, I lost 6 front teeth to a bad ascender. But boy let me tell ya that drop was incredible, till my teeth decided to try and grab ahold of something for me!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I hurt myself 2 times in the past month with my hearing protection.... I have large ear muff type, nice and cushy... except when you put them on in a hurry, get the left side on and have the right slip out at full spring tension.... The earpiece always seem to spin around and crack me in the head... hurts like all get out..

Reply to
Rick's Cabinet Shop

Dang if I know. Went to put it on, one muff slipped out of my hand and whacked me in the head. I didn't think anything about it until I rubbed the spot where it hit a little bit later and then put red fingerprints on the board I was sanding (I wear the earmuffs when I'm sanding because the shop vac attached to the sander is _loud_).

Glad you survived. Hope there was no lasting harm.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Never lower your face shield with a cigarette in your mouth.. DAMHIKT

Mac

mac davis

that's why you always keep an old figure 8 around if you had your hands in the right doesn't mater the size of the rope. so says the climber with 2 plates 7 screws form popping on a 5.6 - 5.7 trad climb, all the pro in the world wont help if you don't place it, and no climb is so easy that you don't need to bother until your 20'+ up.

Reply to
Richard Clements

Fortunately my partner went first and was smarter than me. He immediately pulled the rope from below, which stopped me. Otherwise it would have made the worst woodworking accident look like nothing.

Reply to
Tim

Interesting that you say that. My exciting rap was from bailing when I found the second pitch was an unprotected 5.4 for about 50'. The guide book didn't mention it and I wasn't willing to try it even as second.

Reply to
Tim

LOL. This sounds like something strait out of the Three Stooges.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
Troy

My son and I went into Lowe's yesterday and loaded up 6 sheets of T1-11. Noticing 2 staples sticking out of the edge of one of the sheets I promptly pulled out my pocket knife to remove the staple as I knew that I would be scratched by the exposed end before we got home with it. During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb and I had to follow a sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to find me a band aid. Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks. I remember now that I have not yet put a first aid kit in my new car. Ditto for a fire extinguisher.

Reply to
fredfighter

"Leon" wrote in news:vyvYg.13138$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

I wish they'd find some other way to attach the tags and things. Those staples are a pain to deal with. There's always two or more in just about every board.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Most of the time I just trim the end of my finger off with the knife during the "removing" phase.

Blood in my truck is nothing new...

Le> During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb

and I had to follow a sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to find me a band aid. Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Exactly what I did.

Reply to