No Room for Clamps

Ship 'em to me -- I'll store 'em for ya.

Doug Miller

My BEssy collection jumped from 3 to 13 the other day. (HD mini gloat) I need a place to put them. I have seen clamp racks in mags and online. Any suggestions.

I have 50 or so other clamps.

If I can't find a place to store them I guess we will have to find another method for storage.

Reply to
rllipham

My shop is in the basement and the roof rafters/floor joists are exposed. I clamp my clamps on these so they hang horizontal. I sort them by size and type.

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

I just put a 1"x6" up on the wall. It is held by a 2"x4" support screwed into studs and works great. I have a high one and a low one. I have the height on both set so Bessey 31's can go high and low. Works for me.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I too acquired more Bessey's thanks to HD. I have a clamp rack made from ShopNotes plans. It is about 7x4' and holds a 2x4 framed pegboard that is hinged on the side. A wheel on the bottom hold the weight when I swing it out to access the other side. It is hinged to a 2x6 frame that is lagged bolted into the wall. (The super idea of making the frame hinged to use both sides of the pegboard was submitted by a reader's tip.) The pipe rack holds 12 large clamps, including the Besseys. The ShopNotes plans include special wooden hangers for other types of clamps and hook into the pegboard using L-hooks. This works great, as I can move holders around as my needs grow. I've built other clamp holders not in the ShopNotes plan to hold other clamps. No clamping pressure is needed for any of the clamps. The drawback is that it is stationary and I had to decide where to put it when I built it. I know Norm built a clamping station (looks a little like a tall pyramid on wheels) that can be moved to where you are working, and moved out of the way when not needed.

Reply to
Phisherman

I had two storage problems in my workshop, a rarely-used aluminium ladder and a lot of regularly used clamps. Fastened the ladder along the long wall with the big window (otherwise useless for storage) and sorted out both problems.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah the "never have enough clamps, nor a place to put them" dilema. Same seems to go for ply - in all the various left over sizes one accumulates over a very short period of time.

Here's my solution

Finding 4 feet of wall space - well that could be a problem. But having all the clamps that close to the assembly bench sure comes in handy. I tried a roll around clamp rack but it quickly became a PITA.

just my solution

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Bessy my heart.I have a couple of ideas. I was leaning toward a roll around cart but after reading the posts I too think it would be a PITA. And we aren't talking animals here.

I do not have rafters but have 6' spacing between light fixtures. I think I will build a hinged swing down frame that will hold the clamps and swing up and out of the way. Now for a catch or a clasp to secure the rack as it swings up

Thanks for all the input and offer to take the clamps off my hands. It is not just any newsgroup that the others in the group would be willing to take on the problems of others.

Reply to
rllipham

I built Norm's clamp cart last year and it has been a pleasure. I don't have it on wheels, but positioned it so that I can access front & back. The great thing about it is that it will hold 6 footers all the way down to jorgensens & spring clamps. Everything is in one place.

Before the cart, I had them hanging on the wall on a 2x4, but this was a real PITA and some clamps did not conform (like quick clamps & small spring claps). Some would fall off at times.

Anyway, for the cost of a few pieces of lumber and a few hours, it is definitely worth considering a clamp cart.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I seem to have a Lot of Clamps and the Very Best Storage system is mine ( I have seen many Beautiful systems) I keep them in USE they Never seem to make it to a " storage facility "(grin)

Reply to
Gregory Jensen