No respect for for the line...

Page 2 of 3

I've seen him work. He's nuts. Non-conventional, very musical and creative. I'm not sure he could ever play anything anybody else wrote, all-in-all a showman who happens to play his guitar expertly---> his way. Similar to Moon as a drummer...the best 'Keith Moon Style' drummer there ever was. In terms of 'expert' guitar playing, it happens to be people who play stuff I don't particularly care for..like Segovia, Kotke...... hell.. even Ricky Skaggs. I also like the 'sleepers'...people you'd never associate with guitar playing. Sarah McLaughlin's version of Blackbird floored me the other day. That girl can play.

He plays those Eagles tunes pretty well, even those recorded long before he was part of the band ;-)

Now, now, I like Ricky... but then the older I gets the more country music and Bluegrass I listen too. Alison Krause and Union Station is a current favorite and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (currently elder statesmen of country) has been a favorite since the early 70's. Much of country is 70's rock with a southern accent.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

When I re-married (two years ago this Oct 18) one of the songs at the wedding was; In Spite Of Ourselves by John Prine and Iris DeMent. I have all of Prine's records and DVD's. Alison Kraus' I Will was another song that was played. That stuff is in a class by itself. A little Lyle..sometimes even some John Anderson comes over these loudspeakers. *G* I like all well-done music. Is Stevie Ray Vaughn considered 'country'?...=o]

Clapton just _thinks_ he's God. And his output from the mid-70s onwards was no comparison to Cream.
Gilmour OTOH is still knocking it out as well as ever.
But then Hendrix not only did it, he invented it.
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:13:38 +0100, Andy Dingley

Hendrix is god...and Satriani is his prophet.
Lee

Steve Vai, Al DeMeola. Gary Moore, Jeff Beck are all in my collection. Satriani is only mildly entertaining. Pete Townsend is entertaining, and The Who the best damned rock-band that ever lived. That leaves us with Ry Cooder, SRV, etc. Some of my favourites include Peter Green and Brian May.
Most highly overrated:
The Edge.."THE Edge"... of U-2 and that asshole from Metallica.
Robatoy wrote: [snip]

Jeez Robatoy, you really shouldn't equivocate so much. LOL. ;-) And anyway nobody has mentioned Keith Richards, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, etc. Oh and in case there is somebody out there that doesn't recognize the "Clapton is god" reference, it was probably the most recognizable bit of grafitti in London in the early 70s. Layla rules.     mahalo,     jo4hn

I was in London in the 70's on a couple of occasion, but please don't ask me to remember too much... some of that fog got stuck in my brain. Damn pollution.

Some sort of smoke, was it?

It was one of those rare occasions that the wind was coming from the East...... over Amsterdam, unfiltered.

And, you...weren't over there, um, "window shopping", right?

Right. But then again... whether we want to admit it or not.. we ALL pay for it somehow, one way or another. :->
On 14/09/2005 10:17 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Actually, God gave us nearsightedness so that we'd have to wear glasses behind which we could stick a pencil. It must be my ears, but I find that the glasses work *way* better.

....snip....
you'll have to. the knife has already started the cut for you....

Lou, Your sage is not uncommon for someone who does it for a living. I used to do finish work for a living and understand exactly what you are going through.
Even more so with crown moldings as they are expensive and joints should not be a option if you cut short. As of late I have been using a carbide pointed pen. Little harder to see, but a lot thinner line. Learned this from the metal workers, who deal in a lot higher precession. If not that, a mechanical pencil will work just as well. Lot easier to sharpen too.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a

www.dictionary.com:
3 entries found for precession. 1. The act or state of preceding; precedence. 2. Physics. The motion of the axis of a spinning body, such as the wobble of a spinning top, when there is an external force acting on the axis. 3. Astronomy. 1. Precession of the equinoxes. 2. A slow gyration of the earth's axis around the pole of the ecliptic, caused mainly by the gravitational pull of the sun, moon, and other planets on the earth's equatorial bulge.
4 entries found for precision. 1. The state or quality of being precise; exactness. 2. 1. The ability of a measurement to be consistently reproduced. 2. The number of significant digits to which a value has been reliably measured.
adj.
1. Used or intended for accurate or exact measurement: a precision tool. 2. Made so as to vary minimally from a set standard: precision components. 3. Of or characterized by accurate action: precision bombing.

spell checking errors?
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Chris wrote:

...snip definitions of precession and precision....

well, considering your sig line, I couldn't pass it up. and considerion that precision and precession both have relevance to metalworkers, it is relevant to your post.
do I have anything useful to contribute? do you?
On 14 Sep 2005 10:35:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not really other than to ask what "considerion" means. Neither www.dictionary.com nor my F&W lists it ;-)
Dave Hall
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

hee hee... thanks. I guess I had that coming....
: )