No respect for for the line...

hee hee... thanks. I guess I had that coming....

: )

Reply to
bridger

no, yngwie is a pretentious plagiarist. Zappa is god.

Reply to
bridger

Yngwie is a plagiarist? And, by your logic, God is dead, right?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, Zappa is dead. God is still God ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

yep. took 16th century classical music, arranged it for heavy metal instrumentation and claimed to have written it.

you'll have to ask god about that one.

Reply to
bridger

Yngwie ripped off Nicolo Paganini's caprices and violin concertos. If you even hear them back to back, your chin will drop. That's not to say that Malmsteen doesn't have amazing technique, he has to have to play stuff like caprice # 5... but he is a plagiarist....IF he claims to have written any of that baroque stuff he plays....

Reply to
Robatoy

Clapton is highly overrated... IMHO. Cream was cool...Clapton got to be a bit of a bore.

BUT!

Live in Hyde Park is one of my absolute favourite DVD's (Gadd on drums....YES!!)

Hell... it's all good when it sounds good...cuz if it sounds good, it

*IS* good. (I think Glen Miller said that.)

I have to confess to be a bit of a Joe Walsh fan...hehehehe...

Reply to
Robatoy

Dog is god (and my co pilot!) max

Reply to
max

You got those all night laundrymat blues, do ya?

Dave Hall

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

Reply to
Dave Hall

I've seen him work. He's nuts. Non-conventional, very musical and creative. I'm not sure he could ever play anything anybody else wrote, all-in-all a showman who happens to play his guitar expertly---> his way. Similar to Moon as a drummer...the best 'Keith Moon Style' drummer there ever was. In terms of 'expert' guitar playing, it happens to be people who play stuff I don't particularly care for..like Segovia, Kotke...... hell.. even Ricky Skaggs. I also like the 'sleepers'...people you'd never associate with guitar playing. Sarah McLaughlin's version of Blackbird floored me the other day. That girl can play.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not to mention...damn. What are those guitar exercises really called? I always called them "The Arpeggios from Hell" but was regularly corrected. Some Italian guy from the 17th century or so...

Maybe Paganini was reading from the same Arpeggios book?

Note that I also didn't take exception to the "pretentious" part. I mean, he's not nearly as bad as that guy from U2, but he certainly has an ego.

Damn fast fingers, though. Oy - this is interesting:

the wrap)

Some of these are blisteringly freaking obvious, like "Hall of the mountain king" (the who, 1968) was inspired by the Peer Gynt Suite. No shit? Whooda thunkit? But yeah, some of them are surprising. Oh, and Yngwie is in there...

Anyone remember the guitar exercises I'm trying to think of the name for?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

He plays those Eagles tunes pretty well, even those recorded long before he was part of the band ;-)

Now, now, I like Ricky... but then the older I gets the more country music and Bluegrass I listen too. Alison Krause and Union Station is a current favorite and The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (currently elder statesmen of country) has been a favorite since the early 70's. Much of country is 70's rock with a southern accent.

Dave Hall

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw

Reply to
Dave Hall

When I re-married (two years ago this Oct 18) one of the songs at the wedding was; In Spite Of Ourselves by John Prine and Iris DeMent. I have all of Prine's records and DVD's. Alison Kraus' I Will was another song that was played. That stuff is in a class by itself. A little Lyle..sometimes even some John Anderson comes over these loudspeakers. *G* I like all well-done music. Is Stevie Ray Vaughn considered 'country'?...=o]

Reply to
Robatoy

Clapton just _thinks_ he's God. And his output from the mid-70s onwards was no comparison to Cream.

Gilmour OTOH is still knocking it out as well as ever.

But then Hendrix not only did it, he invented it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Hendrix is god...and Satriani is his prophet.

Lee

Reply to
Lee DeRaud

Steve Vai, Al DeMeola. Gary Moore, Jeff Beck are all in my collection. Satriani is only mildly entertaining. Pete Townsend is entertaining, and The Who the best damned rock-band that ever lived. That leaves us with Ry Cooder, SRV, etc. Some of my favourites include Peter Green and Brian May.

Most highly overrated:

The Edge.."THE Edge"... of U-2 and that asshole from Metallica.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote: [snip]

Jeez Robatoy, you really shouldn't equivocate so much. LOL. ;-) And anyway nobody has mentioned Keith Richards, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, etc. Oh and in case there is somebody out there that doesn't recognize the "Clapton is god" reference, it was probably the most recognizable bit of grafitti in London in the early 70s. Layla rules. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I was in London in the 70's on a couple of occasion, but please don't ask me to remember too much... some of that fog got stuck in my brain. Damn pollution.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some sort of smoke, was it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It was one of those rare occasions that the wind was coming from the East...... over Amsterdam, unfiltered.

Reply to
Robatoy