No more Jet tools for me

Umm, lots of people use to do that if they had the time, especially since they could save about $1000 which was nearly 1/4 years salary. But I think the dealer franchises put a stop to that long ago. Otoh, my neighbor last fall flew half way across the U.S. and drove his new motorhome back, saving $10,000 over the sales price of a local dealer. Might not be much for high living folk, but for over 50 percent of the working people it is 3 months salary. Not bad for a 4 day trip.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 21:02:01 -0400, the inscrutable "Owen Lawrence" spake:

I probably overreacted, too. Sorry.

That's very possible.

BTW, after this discussion, I found that I had bought pin vises last year but never got around to getting the set of HSS #61-80 billdrits, so I ordered them via Ebay last night. $0.95 plus (get this) $1.10 insurance (-required-) and $3.75 shipping. That works out to 29 cents per bit, delivered. Not a bad price, but shipping and insurance were

400% of the original cost.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK - the problem I have with that theory of what businesses are in business to do is this:

If I work hard and decide to spend money on your product, I want it to work as advertised, and if it breaks or wears out, I want to be able to fix it in a reasonable period of time. Something like a belt breaking or needing to be replaced should not keep the tool out of commission for weeks.

I mean - a table saw uses blades that you should be able to buy from damn near any store. When the blade gets dull, or you need a different blade for cutting plywood instead of ripping 2x, you can go anywhere to get the blade. Can you imagine how tough it would be to work with a tool if they used a proprietary blade that you could only get from them? You would be at the mercy of the supply chain.

And today - with this "just in time" bullshit, the stores don't stock the parts you need. One store sells a miter gauge for a table saw, but not the hold-down clamps. If the saw needs a belt, ant the belts sgtretch or break or wear out, then they should stock the belts, or have a way to get them sooner rather than later.

Reply to
USENET READER

Reasonable expectations. Parts should also be available for a few years after a model is dicontinued.

That would change the dynamices of a tool buying decision. OTOH, if your transmission fails on your Chevy, you may have to buy a GM part to get if fixed. Sure, starters and alternators are readily available on the aftermarket, but if you need a new door, it may have to come from a GM dealer. You are very much at the mercy of the supply chain.

Maybe. If a store sell two lathes a years, should he have a belt in stock at all times? How long to belts last? That $20 belt willl tie sup maybe

412 for a few years waiting for someone to buy it. Bandsaw blades wear out a few times a year so they stock a lo tof them. If you are that conerned, why don't you keep a spare in the shop? Most companies carry a stock of parts for machines that they know will fail over time. We probably have $20,000 in motors, hydraulip pumps, water pumps, solenoids, controllers, etc. Some sit for a long time, but if needed, it is nice to have rahter than have a machine down and not produce $500 an hour. If you are concerned about your saw losing a belt late at night, keep a spare. Prudent to do so.

Yes, that can be a problem

. `

You and I contribute to this problem. (Insert Pogo quote here) What was the return on your stock portfolio, IRS or 401k plan? When stocks do not perform we bitch and want to see better performance, more profits.

Some do, others do have honest concerns. They MUST make a profit though, or they cannot continue to serve you with spart parts, new products, etc. Do you think ball players are more concerned with winning the game or making millions? Movie stars? IMO, a lot of things should be changed but we have to all get together on it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Two stories:

I was trying to get my new digital TV setup with an outdoor antenna. This turned out to be hard. I think I'm in some kind of signal hole. Anyway, I bought a Winegard amplifier and was having trouble getting power to it. I contacted Winegard support via email and got a prompt, intelligent reply. The reply included a recommendation for a power regulated diplexer. I searched the net looking for one and couldn't find it. I sent another email to support asking where I could get one. The prompt reply was "I'll send you one". No charge. I like Winegard.

I've posted here before about my Jet 18" bandsaw lacking power that I bought in

1999. It turns out they had installed a 1/2 HP motor instead of the 1 1/2 HP motor that is spec'ed. A call to Jet customer service got a reply to the effect of "You've got 90 days to discover that sort of problem". I asked to speak to a supervisor and got the same result. I wrote a nice letter to the president of WMH Tool Group, which owns Jet. I got a prompt email from his admin saying that it had been referred to the head of the Jet division. I got a phone call and email from him saying a new motor was on the way. No charge. The bandsaw runs great. I like Jet.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

You had to go all the way to the president of Jets parent company to get a fix for a manufacturing error and you see no problem with that. You're too easy.

MikeK

My reading is he waited from '99 to sometime fairly recently to make them aware of the problem and they still fixed it up at no charge...that sounds pretty good to me, as well...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Ok, IF that's the case, I'd give them a thumbs up also.

MikeK

I stated explicitly it was past the 90 days, anyway, which seems like that would be plenty of time to have found/identified/complained initially...I'm inferring the other, granted from the way in which it was written.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

That's what happened. I had wondered about a lack of power on resawing, even posting some questions here. I had seen the 1/2 HP rating on the motor, but thought it was probably a mis-print. Then I saw the amperage rating and a light went on. I did notify them as soon as I realized there was a manufacturing problem. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson