no more Jet for me

Page 2 of 6
On 02/26/2015 3:05 PM, John McCoy wrote: ...

Amen, brother!!! Just one example is the exit/entrance heater hose ports on the 3800L GM engine that are just plastic elbows. They fail regularly where an "old style" threaded hose connector would never fail.
Another pet peeve of mine is the replacement of glass headlamp covers with plastic that crazes and weathers reducing visibility markedly whereas the glass would typically be good for the life of the vehicle barring following too many trucks too closely.
On our gravel roads the plastic headlight covers are pitted/scratched within months...
I could go on (and on and on....) with a litany.
On 2/26/2015 4:34 PM, dpb wrote:

I'll assume you are talking about glass sealed beam headlights. Those simply burn out before the glass goes bad. And none of these compared in out put like the body shaped lenses over the head lamp bulbs.
On 02/26/2015 5:00 PM, Leon wrote: ...

No, I'm talking about the plastic lens covers over the lamps...I don't care what the lamp style is; if the covers were glass instead of plastic they wouldn't craze nor get scratched within a few months...

Wouldn't say I have more than a passing understanding. Back in the day, our mechanical engineers used to come up with these massively strong, inordinately heavy steel brackets, and I picked up some of the issues with plastic argueing with them why we couldn't have an alternative. Biggest reason in our case was volume - for small qtys it's cheaper to form steel.
John

Exactly. Ford didn't put an aluminum hood on my wife's car to save money and the aluminum F150 isn't a cost reduction either. I work in the automotive electronics industry. Even the electronics is under pressure to save weight. Grams count.
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:12:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

MSRP on a 2015 4x4 Crew cab $50,000 and a regular cab at about 40 grand. But they were having a sale so you don't have to pay full price.

Yikes! I paid $25K for my 4x2 2013 extended cab XLT. The 4x4 was only a couple of grand more.
On 2/26/2015 9:13 AM, John McCoy wrote:

latches provide more cushion than metal, keeps the noise down.
"Leon" wrote:

One of the reasons it never even made my long list for a toy PU truck.
But then after the Toyota Tacoma, nothing else even came close.
Lew

To my regret, I learned of it's deficiencies by owning one. Unfortunately it combined poor engineering with worse build quality, easily the worst vehicle I ever bought.

The S10 got replaced by a Ford F150 longbed in 2000, which is still in fine shape (except it needs to be painted). Doubt I'd ever consider anything but another Ford if I was looking for a new pickup - but at this point I kinda figure I'll never need to replace the one I have.
One thing, tho - if you do woodworking a longbed truck is a really useful thing. Being able to put 8' lumber and plywood in the bed, with the tailgate up and the tonneau cover over, makes life much simpler. And I can easily carry 12', and with careful tieing 16', with the tailgate down. The only downside is it's a pain to park.
John
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:30:01 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

8' is a "long bed"? It's the standard F150 bed, except the king cab has a 7'. But you're right. Hauling 12' lumber isn't a big deal. I built a 12'frame that gets anchored to the bed so I can easily carry 12' sheetrock (except that I can't lift it ;-).
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in

No, standard bed on a full-size pickup is 6'6". The double door models have a bed of 5'6". 8' is long bed, you can get that with extended cab, but if you want it with the full double doors you have to go to a 3/4 or 1 ton model.
The big problem with a long bed is the truck ends up with a huge turning circle - 53' for mine (I hate to think what it is for a crew cab F250). That makes things like parking and u-turns (need 4 lanes of road) a pain.
John
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 20:09:21 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

You're right, of course. I was thinking about the frame I use for 12' lumber (etc.). It hangs off the *tailgate* four feet, so the bed is 6-1/2' with 18" for the tailgate. Of course sheet goods fit in the bed nicely (with the tailgate down ;-).
It's been so long since I carried anything in it that I forgot. ;-) ...couple of more months...

Yes, a standard bed with a full size truck is bad enough. Another 1-1/2 feet would make it unmanageable. It wouldn't fit in my garage, either. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in wrote:

It's actually worse than 1-1/2 feet. The wheelbase grows by 22", and that's what affects the turning circle.
Mine doesn't fit the garage either, but then neither does the car, owing to all the tools inside. On a good day I can squeeze the motorcycle in.
John
On 02/26/2015 8:37 PM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote: ...

There isn't any "standard"; they're all options at build time. Certainly any more w/ the extended and quad cabs you see far fewer full-length than shorter because the wheel bases are so long, particularly for the full 4-door.
Even out here in farm and oil country I'd guess 75% of even 2DR are shortbeds because 80% are "townies", not really ever used as trucks.

Around here you see a lot of the 4 door, extra-short bed trucks because people use them to pull boats. An SUV would be more practical, but the pickups are cheaper.
OTOH, you also see a lot of dualies with aftermarket wheels, lift kits, bed covers, and no trailer hitch, and you know those are just d*ck size compensation. Purely for show.
John
Speaking of Jet, their 15% off sale starts today (see Woodcraft, et. al.).
Anything you've been waiting for?
The 12" disc sander with stand and dust collector is tempting to me... ($475 instead of $559).
Is there a better way to "round-off" the ends of two by fours?

Hand plane!
John
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:18:16 -0500

stock up on spare parts for it too
On 2/27/2015 6:18 PM, Bill wrote:

FWIW the Delta 12" disk sander is nice, I have one, and it has a port and hose for connecting to a shop vac or DC. IIRC those go for around $250. I prefer to have a stand alone DC that works with all my equipment vs. one that is dedicated to one tool.
http://www.cpooutlets.com/delta-31-140-12-in--disc-sander-with-integral-dust-collection/dwwn31-140,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=sanders-and-polishers&prefn1=brand&prefv1 lta