No backer board at Home Depot?

I just went to my local HD store in Rocky Mount, NC and discovered that they do not carry chair rail backer board. I'm talking about the 5" wide board that you mount chair rail on. They had chair rail but no backer board. I just thought it was weird. Has anybody else run into this or is just this one store? Just curious.
Eric Smith wrote:

I'm not familiar with mounting chair rail on anything other than directly on the wall or as a cap over paneling. Do you have any pictures or links that show what you're talking about?
I can't seem to locate a good picture of it right now, but what I am talking about is a flat 5" wide board that has a bead routed along the top and bottom edge. It is probably a little thinner than 3/4" though. It's common in this area for this to be installed first and then the more decorative chair rail is installed on this backer board. In my bedrooms, the backer board is installed without any chair rail. Hope this helps.

Eric Smith wrote:

http://www.gardenstatelumber.com/html/chair_rail.html
ES5?

If you want it, build it. Your choice of edge bead or mold can be nailed to MDF, which is really just a filler between the rail and the wall, to hide the build-up.

There's a big, thick, book of molding profiles at the pro desk. If it's not in the rack, it's probably in the book.
Expect to pay a "bundling" fee if you only need a few sections.
Barry
Eric, My experience has been that a place like The Building Center (Charlotte area) has great selection and far better pricing. TomNie
Eric Smith wrote:

I don't use HD for trim, they are way too expensive. Their selection is extremely limited in both profiles and lengths. So I am not surprised that you were disappointed. Try a real trim mill.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.