Nightstand Drawers

Page 1 of 2
I finished the hard part of the drawers, building them. I build them out of Baltic birch and used rabbeted corners reinforced with Domino floating tenons. I have built a few hundred drawers this way and it seems I am still learning how to stream line this process.
The pieces,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24382723850/in/dateposted-public/
Glued up,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24050071344/in/dateposted-public/
Domino floating tenons installed and the drawers mounted in the cabinets.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24370070979/in/dateposted-public/
And the solid drawer fronts ready for stain. I cut the bevels on the TS and then sanded.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24109563244/in/dateposted-public/
On 1/31/2016 3:44 PM, Leon wrote:

Ah yes, the infamous "Domino Drawers" ... looking good, as usual.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/31/2016 6:16 PM, Swingman wrote:

Thank you, partner. ;~0

Are those installed after the drawers are glued up?

Very nice!
On 1/31/2016 10:11 PM, OFWW wrote:

Yes

Thank you.
When you build your drawers that way, they always look so clean and precise . I like that look a lot, and no doubt they are probably just shy of bomb p roof.
Seriously, I have thought for some time you should contact Festool and be t heir Domino guy. I am not being facetious! I only know a couple of guys t hat have that tool, but I heard through the grapevine somewhere that the Do mino is a great seller for Festool. Yet, I never hear or see anyone using that tool except you and never see any examples of its use anywhere!
Kathy and I will saddle up about once a year and get out of town and go to some of the towns around here that are in the "The Hill Country" where ther e are some artist communities. The artists are different every time we go so we have seen quite a few furniture and cabinet builders, restorers, "one off" makers, etc. We go north one year, then the next year we go northeas t, so we get the Texas Furniture Makers annual show sometimes, the Fredrick sburg Arts and Crafts Show, the same in Bandera and even one in Blanco.
Out of all the craftsmen we see that turn out easily produced pieces to the guy that has a custom wet bat in progress at his shop, I have never seen o ne Domino. Like you, it is a machine they could truly use on just about ev ery project. Yet every one of the folks I have talked to over the years th at owns one of those shops has never used a Domino and in most cases, don't know what they are.
I can easily see you in a gremlin green van touring Texas as "Dan Domino" p reaching the gospel of mortised spline joinery to the masses. Not kidding, Leon. I have never seen more creative work with that tool than you do.
Robert

Thank you Robert. They are pretty attractive but a shade less than DT joints and or box joints.

Well I think the reps do that and or the stores should be capable of demonstrating things to do with the Domino. The Domino was my first tool from Festool, it and the Vac. I found that making slots, for screws to slip in, with the Domino is pretty cool too. You know when you have a wide solid wood panel that needs to be attached to allow for movement.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/12353851794/in/dateposted-public/

Kim and I did the Kerrville wood working thing in November a few years back. There is all kinds of cool stuff going on.

A little surprising.

Thank you Robert. ;~)

current television shows. And there has been a glut of new shows recently with comic book heroes. Soooooooooo....., A Festool costume with a cape would be appropriate. Can you see Leon as Domino Man, super hero? He would have two cordless dominos in holsters strapped to his thighs and a Festool dust extractor on a back pack. I assume that the cape would go over the dust extractor.
He could fly into various locations, throughout Texas, suspended under a large Festool drone. He would land, give a quick Domino drawer lessons, then fly off into the sunset. Maybe one of the home channels would make a reality series out of it. And it could even feature some good, old Texas barbeque!
I think this idea would work! Hey Leon, should I sit down and write a formal proposal to create a new persona for you as Domino Man, super hero? We could pitch it to Festool. Their advertising budget should easily cover the cost of creating a super hero. And I would be on board for a reasonable 12% of the budget for an "origination" fee.
Come on Leon, think outside of the box. This could work! ;-)
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in

Opening title sequence: We see Domino Man set down his Domino cutter, setting the first in a sequence of dominoes to fall. As they fall, they go past a variety of projects that we'll see later assembled with Dominos.
Closing sequence: We see Domino Man enjoying some barbeque as the UPS man pulls up with a surprise package. Domino Man offers the UPS man some barbeque as he opens the package to see what's inside it... more Dominos!
All we gotta do is get Leon to fill in the middle!
Puckdropper
On 2/2/2016 3:04 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

You got it allllllll figgered out. LOL
On 2/2/2016 2:44 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

See what you started??? LOL
On 1/31/2016 3:44 PM, Leon wrote:
So my customer got the pulls that she wanted to put on the drawer fronts and I could proceed.
These are inset drawers and that fact always adds a degree of difficulty over overlay drawer fronts.
A couple of years ago I applied a bit of unused knowledge to make this process much easier.
Shimming is a must but attaching the false fronts to the mounted drawers is always a bit tough. In fact there are special washer head screws for mounting drawer fronts through over sized holes to allow for readjustment after attaching. The typical procedure is to put screws into the front of the drawer from the inside and let the points of the screws stick out just a bit. Then press the outer false drawer front into the screw points, remove the front, locate the dimples made by the screw points, predrill shallow holes where there were indentations, line up the front with the screws, drive home the screws. And typically the drawer front is not perfectly placed.
Now,,,,,,I wait until I have the pulls before I mount the false fronts. I drill the holes for the pulls into the false fronts only, place the false drawer front into position and place pocket hole screws through the false front drawer pull holes into the drawer, snugly. Those screws hold the false drawer front and allow you to open the drawer and add the remaining screws from the inside with out all of the steps listed above. Remove the pocket holes and finish drilling the holes for the pulls through the inner drawer.
Anyway,,,
The process with shims.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24664669262/in/dateposted-public/
And the result, with no need for any adjustments and the pocket holes removed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/24756262116/in/dateposted-public/

That's looking mighty good.
I've been following yours and Karl's advice, been spending time in Sketchup, which is why I've not been online but for short spurts.
I'll be commenting on previous posts for the goodies I have learned soon.
Those drawers look almost tight enough that if high humidity hung around long they'd swell up and become self locking drawers. ;)

If the cabinets were going to be in an uncontrolled environment I might be concerned about fit later on. But I too will be sealing with stain and varnish which will aid in stability. The drawer fronts have a 1/16" gap all of the way around.

Actually I meant that as a joke, seeing as they fit so very well. Sorry for the confusion.
I had watched a video on making cabinet doors, and the door style he was the proudest of was doors that fit like your drawer faces do. He said it was a sign of a true craftsman.
On 2/3/2016 2:08 PM, OFWW wrote:

Yeah, I saw the smiley face. ;~)
I just wanted to explain a bit further my reasoning and spec's. ;~)

You do have to pay attention when using inset doors and drawers as opposed to overlay. Square is a must.
Here are a couple of examples of inset doors and drawers.
I built this Murphy bed and side towers 5 years ago for a customer..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/5807616639/in/dateposted-public/
And Our bedroom 6 years ago... It is now in a newer home. I thought I would never have to move it. ;~(
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436685682/in/dateposted-public/
The bed and tower have a total of 24 drawers. 18 under the bed.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4436686012/in/dateposted-public/

You know, Murphy beds have really improved, and what a space saver. Nothing can dual purpose a room like that, and most children's rooms should be set up that way. I saw some a year or so ago, a couple even a bunk bed arrangement. I've been considering putting one in a spare bedroom.

I didn't show my wife those pictures, got more than enough to do at the moment. :)
That must have kept you busy for quite a while.

Not to detract from the post, but in looking at your photo's I saw this stunning piece of beauty!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4332857960/in/dateposted-public/
Is there a matching one to go with it?
Something that looks like that needs to be openly displayed.
On 2/4/2016 1:32 PM, OFWW wrote:

And I can point you towards the hardware supplier for that too. ;~) IIRC Rockler sells for that company too.

About 12 weeks.

LOL, Thank you. Those were a labor of love, I built a pair for my sister and BIL. They had a walnut chest of drawers and a walnut dresser built by Waterford, IIRC. They wanted me to build night stands to match. That tested my talents. The tricky parts were the feet and the columns on the corners. I actually cut the columns "round" on the table saw. I spent an afternoon doing that.
AND I wished I had Sketchup for the design, instead I was still using AutoCAD LT.

There were a pair.

Yes, but they don't carry all the stuff available in Europe right now, and they have a bunch of different products that can literally change the function of a room in moments. I suppose that its because they are short on RE in the big cities, so their spaces are small, like in downtown NY where even 10x10 spaces are marketable.
In my minds eye I see that as a place ripe for the multipurpose furnishing thus making life more pleasant for many people.

Which in laymen's terms is more like 6 months at the minimum.

It had me drooling. :)