nickel falls

The bracket that the motor on my contractor saw mounts to was bent. Called Jet and they replaced it at no cost. So I finally get around to changing it.
Gosh darn bolt that holds the pin in the cast iron mount breaks off. Cobalt drill bit snaps off inside the bolt (ever try to drill through a cobalt bit with HSS bits?). Several hours later bolt is out. Why do they call thos extractors 'EZ-outs' anyway? There is nothing EZ about using them.
Anyway all is back together and I took extra care to align the pulleys and get the motor straight. Still can't get the nickel to stay standing.
I am currently using a lawnmower type belt instead of an automotive belt thinking that the softer belt won't hold a hard bend like the auto belts do. The vibration is not terrible and is greatly improved over what it was with the bent bracket and years old auto belt. What should I do?
RayV wrote:
Question:

Answer:
JP
I didn't bother replacing my pulleys, but installing the link belt makes a world of difference on my Delta 680 TS. (it passed the nickel test for me.) So much so, that I put one on my Ridgid bandsaw, as well.
Now.. go cut some wood. Its therapeutic. :)
Mike.
face=Arial size=2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&gt; The bracket that the motor on my contractor saw mounts to was bent.<BR>&gt; Called Jet and they replaced it at no cost.&nbsp; So I finally get around to<BR>&gt; changing it.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Gosh darn bolt that holds the pin in the cast iron mount breaks off.<BR>&gt; Cobalt drill bit snaps off inside the bolt (ever try to drill through a<BR>&gt; cobalt bit with HSS bits?).&nbsp; Several hours later bolt is out.&nbsp; Why do<BR>&gt; they call thos extractors 'EZ-outs' anyway?&nbsp; There is nothing EZ about<BR>&gt; using them.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Anyway all is back together and I took extra care to align the pulleys<BR>&gt; and get the motor straight.&nbsp; Still can't get the nickel to stay<BR>&gt; standing.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I am currently using a lawnmower type belt instead of an automotive<BR>&gt; belt thinking that the softer belt won't hold a hard bend like the auto<BR>&gt; belts do.&nbsp; The vibration is not terrible and is greatly improved over<BR>&gt; what it was with the bent bracket and years old auto belt.&nbsp; What should<BR>&gt; I do?<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Go back to an automotive belt?<BR>&gt; Get the link style belt and pulleys?<BR>&gt; Some other solution?<BR>&gt; Quit crying about it and cut some wood?<BR>&gt;</FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=
RayV wrote:
<snip> > > Go back to an automotive belt? > Get the link style belt and pulleys? > Some other solution? > Quit crying about it and cut some wood?
I like the last one<G>.
Lew
"RayV" snip

Yep.
If you use the saw with any regularity, the belt will not be an issue.
Dave

Unless your hobby is standing up nickels quit crying and cut some wood.
However, if your hobby is standing up nickels be advised that some v-belts are ground after being cut and others are not. One that is ground will produce much less vibration. Jet's OEM belt was probably ground. I know the Delta domestic contractors were ground.
If you use your saw infrequently, particularly in the winter, the belt will take a set and it will take some run time to get it out. Link belt will avoid this but will not give any less vibration than a properly sized, ground belt, that is used regularly and does not have a set.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

Glad to see most of you think I'm a cry-baby. I didn't know about the grinding of the belts. I think I'll call Jet and get a new belt from them.
RayV wrote:

Get the link belt, with machined pulleys. IF I want, I can stand a dime on edge! (Delta contractors saw).
Get busy cutting some wood already! ;-)
DAC
I didn't have a nickel, so I taped 5 pennies together. Worked! Tom(who can't take credit for that one) RayV wrote:

My 1982-vintage Crapsman wouldn't pass the nickel test with the nickel laying flat to start with. The link belts and aftermarket pulleys worked wonders.
-Zz

Bingo.
Why is everyone so concerned about balancing spare change on their table saw? Seems like a waste of time and worry to me.
Prometheus wrote:

If one sat around and "practiced" this over and over, then yes I'd agree. When you move from a bumpy standard belt to the smoothness of the link...well it just one of those thing you have to do. ;-)
DAC