nice enough "new" book

a Sunset book copyright 1974:

_ How To Make Bookshelves And Cabinets _ Nothing exotic. It describes types of wood and other materials, basic tools, wood joinery methods, and gives plans for several projects.

Aimed at the complete novice. Haven't found anything of the sort in the bookstores yet. Any suggestions welcome.

Reply to
Contrarian

Stephen Corbett's books, namely:

"The Practical Woodworker: A Comprehensive and Easy-to-Follow Course for the Home Woodworker" ISBN: 0754806316

As low as .64c on Amazon.com. I think it's a great book for beginners like me. I got mine cheap at a Border's. It's got everything needed to get started, tools, woods, plans and projects, great pictures, everything. Very easy to follow. Read the reviews.

..I hope this helps,

Reply to
AAvK

Looks like I followed the wrong page on amazon, this is the one I have:

Practical Woodworker : A Comprehensive Step by Step Course in Working ISBN: 0681783362

Reply to
AAvK

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 5:50am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Contrarian) doth mumble: =A0=A0a Sunset book copyright 1974: =A0=A0_ How To Make Bookshelves And Cabinets _ =A0=A0Nothing exotic. It describes types of wood and other materials, basic tools, wood joinery methods, and gives plans for several projects. =A0=A0Aimed at the complete novice. Haven't found anything of the sort in the bookstores yet. Any suggestions welcome.

I'm still trying to figure out if you're looking for a copy - or have a copy, and telling people it's a good book.

If you're looking, there's plenty of places to look on the web - try google. Or used bookstores. Or, even check with Sunset books.

Last woodworking back I got, a bit back, is a whole lot better than anything put out by Sunset books. Not to put down Sunset, but they're not in the same class as: Capotosto's Wodworking Wisdon - 200 original jigs, shop aids, tool techniques and projects for the home craftsman, by Rosario Copotosto. With 808 photos - 90 construction plans. Hardback copy, with dust cover, in excellent condition, used of course, copyright 1983. Don't recall just what I paid, but less then $10, including shipping - new price $30.50. From somewhere on the web, and it wasn't eBay.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

I have it but it is not recent and I was wondering what else there might be in the truly basic introduction that is more recent and available.

Sounds good.

Reply to
Contrarian

thanks.

Reply to
Contrarian

Tue, Jan 17, 2006, 5:09am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Contrarian) doth claim: Sounds good.

Much better than merely good. Should be able to find a copy on-line easy enough, probably as inexpensive, or more, then a Sunset book. I'd say you should be able to trackdown a copy for sale on-line in less than 5 (five) minutes.