Nice bookend idea for a wood worker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8sJrYSolVM&feature=em-uploademail

Does anyone know what's up with Jack's hands? That does not appear to be arthritis, I'm assuming that's either genetic, or he might have had a repetitive work type injury.
My friend just had surgery to repair his fingers, which would no longer open up after working with his hands for years. They were calling him capt. hook..
--
Jeff

On Friday, April 11, 2014 5:57:47 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Rheumatoid arthritus. The tell tale signs are not just the fingers, in a c lawed or claw (claw-like) forming position, but the palm/hand, itself, in a abduction, or tending toward an abducting position, and also supination, r elative to the wrist/forearm position (relative to the midline of the body) . This/these "motion(s)", or tendencies, is/are opposite of adduction and pronation. The joints, themselves, are "knotted"/enlarged, also.
I would suspect his hips, knees and ankle joints are likely visably affecte d, also. As for as the video, one would need to observe his gait, to help access the lower extremities.
With these conditions, one should stay active (or try to stay active - for some folks, the pain is debilitating), otherwise the joints would tend to b ecome stiff and hard to move (flex, extend, etc.). The condition is often accompanied with pain, in the affected joints, and maintaining flexibility helps reduce the pain, when not relying solely on pain meds for relief.

open up...
Dupuytren's contracture?
Sonny
On 4/11/2014 10:58 AM, Sonny wrote:

I'll have to ask again.
--
Jeff

On 4/11/2014 11:33 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Yes it is Dupuytren's...
--
Jeff

On 4/11/14, 5:57 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I don't know what's wrong with his hands, but with his ripping technique on the table saw, I can tell you what's going to be wrong with them.
Someone PLEASE send that guy a Grr-ripper or a link to how to make a shoe-style push stick.
--

-MIKE-

On Friday, April 11, 2014 10:01:37 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

That was pretty scary to watch.

There is arthritis and there is rheumatoid arthritis. I would guess the latter but not very bad yet.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

His pushing straight towards the bandsaw blade close in made me plenty nervous, too.
--
Jim in NC

On 4/11/2014 5:45 PM, Morgans wrote:

I don't worry about him. I have watched a bunch of his video's. Some are good, some not. But I have always been amazed that even though his hands are in the shape they are, he is able to do things.
Sometimes he comes up with a gem of an idea. I like this one.. Give me another idea. And that's the purpose.
--
Jeff

On Friday, April 11, 2014 5:04:39 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

Yeah, it's a very cool project and that is the purpose of the video, but th at doesn't preclude people from watching it and commenting on basic shop sa fety. Maybe he never has an accident; I certainly hope he doesn't. But he's increasing the odds of an accident with those work habits. I think you'd h ave to agree with that.
On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, Michael wrote:

I'm not sure. Because we are used to dealing with hands that are dextrous we feel uncomfortable. He might not be able to hold a push block or push stick and be comfortable, or hold it the way we do. He might have been doing this for years, I don't know.
You have every right to be concerned for him. I don't live in his shoes. If his hands were working as mine, I might say something, but I can't since I don't understand his limitations. I think he has come up with what he feels safe doing (hopefully). I HOPE.
I wish him well.
--
Jeff

+1. Very enlightened statement.