"Nibs" and raised grain

Page 1 of 2
Having read some of the posts about the subject line I thought I would toss out my experience. Most of what I make gets a generous coat of Watco Danish oil after sanding to 320. After allowing as much as will soak in I wipe as dry as I can. Allowing overnight drying I then apply a coat of Minwax quick drying poly, either gloss, semi-gloss or (my preference) satin. Sometimes one coat will do. More often, two or three coats. (especially with gloss). Most often I spray but I have used a brush when the weather absolutely prevented my spraying outside. (Not often in El Paso) Unless I use a water based poly (which I use on drawers) I very rarely have a problem with "nibs" or raised grain. And I never fail to use a tack cloth. (I make my own from old, 100% cotton T-shirts) I use that process on the majority of my projects. On the rest I follow "Nailshooters" directions. <G>
Max

Unless you start with Watco to pop the color, you can use the same Minwax poly, cut 50%, as an "oil" finish.

I can't find the recipe for making tack cloth, or renewing it, anymore. Could you be so kind as to post it here again, please?
--
Best regards
Han

Han, if you ever want to find out something like this, open your browser and type in "how make -----", where ----- is the item of query. "How-to" info is rampant on the Web. Some of it is even usable! <wink>
http://goo.gl/3O8LE "how make tack rag" nets 2.5M hits. Have fun!
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
On 10/25/2011 8:48 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Had he done this, he would never have found out that you use lacquer thinner rather than a tack rag...
About nothing posted in this rec could not be found tramping around the net.
--
Jack

Oops, I forgot to add that I don't use a tack rag. I wipe the piece down with lacquer thinner to remove all my oily fingerprints and anything else which has contaminated the wood prior to finish. I strongly recommend this method. Mineral spirits can also be used.
To me, this works a helluva lot better than a tack rag, but I don't like or use high-gloss finishes very often.
-- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment. -- Freeman Dyson
On 10/25/2011 7:53 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Agreed, I very seldom use a tack rag and it is not good to use one on some finishes although I can't recall which and why.
Because I use gel varnishes 99% of the time a quick blow with my air hose gets rid of the excess but I am typically standing in saw dust when applying the finish and a fan is blowing. Care must be taken with the fan blowing directly at me as it will cause the finish to dry too much to wipe off the excess.

Most of my tack cloths are made from the "wipe down" of Danish oil. I store them in quart jars. But *if* I need to make one I use varnish "slightly" diluted with thinner.
If I'm using a water based poly, or a latex (rarely) finish, I use a damp (water) rag (wrung out well).
Max
Han wrote:

Larry gave you the answer (page to). You can also use microfiber rags. I have no idea of their efficacy compared to varnish impregnated tack rags but they do a great job of cleaning off sawdust,
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Thanks all for your informative answers!!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 10/25/2011 1:03 PM, dadiOH wrote:

They also collect all the old dryer sheets in any load of clothes!
On 10/26/2011 1:59 AM, Richard wrote:

IIRC you are not suppose to use those sheets/fabric softeners when washing and drying microfiber towels.

You do recall correctly. Just washed a few of mine. Instructions on them state no fabric softener/sheets.
On 10/26/2011 8:25 AM, Dave wrote:

I buy mine at the Sam's club, IIRC 24 for $12. We have about 36 of them running around here and when we get enough for a washer load we wash them separately.

Honestly, I refused to buy microfibre products for some time. Kept seeing people everywhere using them for cleaning floors and stuff. Thought all the claims of what they could do were hyperbole. Then I used one to clean my glasses. It has been sitting on my desk for over a year, only wash it every six months. Yet, no matter how grungy the rag is, it always cleans my glasses lens perfectly.
Been starting to wonder what else they can clean. They most definitely grab all the errant sawdust off my wood just before I stain or finish it.

I used microfiber on my glasses (polycarbonate) and it eventually scratched them (Microfine scratches) :-)
Max

Perhaps you should have eventually washed them sooner. (microhumor)
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message ,
"Max" wrote:

Hate when that happens.
Max wrote:

More likely, whatever you were wiping off your glasses scratched them
--

dadiOH

Not that I've been able to see.