Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases?

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 16:20:11 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

No, it's not a Stanley at all. Mine is a Preston, I think there's a Record too.
The two blades are on top of each other, in an X shape. They don't interfere with each other when working, but they do share the same clamp.
The #79 isn't too hard to adjust for both blades simultaneously, you just have to sharpen the blades so they're exact mirrors of each other.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

I don't recall seeing anyone making those on this side of the pond. It seems that the #79 or the matching set #98 and #99 are the side-rabbets made here.

Oh sure ... that's a breeze. ;-) My problem with the #79 (at least the recent model one I won) is that the way the thing came, once it's set to take an even shaving, the tip of the iron extends so that it will score the work past the bottom of the groove/rabbet/whatever you are widening. To fix it, you have to round off the tip of the iron. (Good luck getting that exactly the same on both irons. :-)
Also, on mine, the casting was horribly uneven where the blades bed.
My #79 basically sits in my tool cabinet, waiting for those times when I get so desperate that I actually resort to trying to use the d*mn*d thing. :-}
Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Now that's what I call a "specialty" plane.
On 15 Jan 2004 05:32:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) wrote:

That's the tricky bit...

I've heard that on recent years' production.
-- Do whales have krillfiles ?
Well, I ordered a Veritas low angle block plane. Personnally it was between that and a low angle smoothing plane. Between my thinking and some of the comments of you that have used to low angle block plane I felt that it was the best next purchase. I tried this plane about 3 yrs ago (when it first came out) at a show and it was impressive then when I knew JACK about plane usage. I know I will appreciate it now.