Next plane?

Go with the LA Block as everyone has suggested - surface smooth as glass... When you have a plane cabinet as large as Robin's then you can add the Apron plane.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

which one in the first paragraph would you not want

YOU think is indispensable. In a perfect world, I'd

I bought the Veritas low angle block plane and it is a superbly well made tool, just about strictly impressive (as it were), though from all I have seen of other labp blocks, Veritas makes theirs slightly incorrectly with the blade being 1/4" too wide, same as the 20º block. The blade should be 1-3/8" wide rather than the current 1-5/8". The point being is one_of_the_main_purposes of any labp being to work on end grain, the blade being narrower cuts down on resistance. End grain is tough to plane. The blade of the Veritas apron plane is 1-1/4" wide.

Reply to
AAvK

... Also, the apron plane is only 1/2" shorter, no adjustable mouth though it is narrow enough.

Reply to
AAvK

Obviously the apron plane. However the question here is whether a limited budget is best spent on an apron plane, or the LA block. The budget won't stretch to two.

There's very little the apron blane will do better than the LA block (surviving in a toolbag is about the best). There's a lot the adjustable mouth on the LA allows you to do that the apron can't. So if you're limited to one, I'd get the LA even if I had to spend a little more on it.

Where I'm buying a lot (school outfitting) and there's the option to have _one_ LA in the "special tools" cupboard, then the apron looks more appropriate. If I had spare money I might even buy one myself to live in the toolbag and leave the LA on my bench.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Skew the tool more. Effectively narrows the blade. Doesn't hurt the smoothness, either.

Reply to
George

One might think so.... but I'll tell you I've got almost no time to do anything in my shop...

Did some fine woodworking last night.....had to trim 1/16 or so off my daughter's bedroom door.... guess which plane I used....(Apron plane)...:)

I still get my tools the way you do...though I do get a discount.

What's really funny is that the store staff know when I'm working on a project.... 'cause it always involves multiple trips to the store over a very short period.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

You make an excellent point (about the block being wider than standard). the reason we did this is that - coupled with the ball tail, one has essentially a bevel-up #2 plane....and of course, the means of applying the additional pressure necessary...

That's why I prefer my Apron plane for one-handed use.... but do use the LABP as well for more traditional "block" applications...

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Robin, could you tell me the width of the mouth gap of the apron plane? I've got a tiny Stanley plane that I can practically hide in my hand. Two things I don't like: 1) It's hard to adjust the blade, 2) The mouth's much to wide.

Dave

Robin Lee wrote:

Reply to
David

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Thanks for covering both dimensions; it's the front to back gap I wanted. My stanley's mouth is 1/8" with 1/16" in front of the blade, when the blade is at normal cutting depth. Is the 1/8" that you mentioned the total width of the mouth, rather than the space in front of the blade? I'm looking for a small plane with a gap around 1/32" in front of the blade (or a bit less).

Dave

Patriarch wrote:

Reply to
David

"Robin Lee" wrote in news:fAJee.22780$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Do they demand to see your ID when you use a credit card or write a check? :)

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Thanks Mr. Lee, I am very happy with the plane indeed. Per /recent experience working on tenons, I do intend to buy the ball tail handle and knob, and the chamfer attachment, I needed all three. Running my hands into the sharp corners is a "cutting pain". But I could do the chamfers accurately enough for the ends of the tenons (on 1st work bench). The attachment will be needed for when the chamfer is showing on the outside.

Off topic question, do you have and can share a release time for the new honing guide? I need it is why I ask, and I noticed the lowered price on the current one.

Another note (request), PLEASE get a store opened in Santa Barbara California! There is nothing here of fine woodworking tool store at all.

Reply to
AAvK

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Total size. With the setting on mine, the mouth is fairly tight, but there is some variation allowed.

If you want a really tight plane mouth, then the LN mentioned in my first response post would be my recommendation. Or one of Steve's. Or one of Rob's, with the adjustable mouth feature.

The apron plane is incredibly convenient, really versatile and a great value. It isn't as adjustable as a more complex design, but is still a joy to use.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I like this enough to consider buying another plane and leaving it attached.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Just confirms you're a regular guy, Robin. There's an old saw about judging a job by the number of trips to the hardware store it'll take. My last plumbing project - to replace all the cold water feeds in the house - was a 5 tripper. By the 3rd trip the guys at my local hardware start ribbing me about how many more times they'll see me this project.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

The new honing guide is on the back cover of the catalog mailing May 23rd... $48.50 ($12.00 more than the old one)...

It's aa good one!

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Hi Owen -

... and I didn't even mention how many things I buy for project - and don't end up using....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

I have the mailing dated May 2005 with the carvings by Parkes on the cover. The back cover has 2 items: sliding square and blade removal tool. Are you referring to an issue yet to be mailed out, Robin?

Dave

Reply to
David

Yes - I'm referring to the next catalogue....the June one (with the Tsunami Hope Chest on the cover), which mails May 23rd...

-

Rob (PS - The June catalog has 27 new items in it - including two new planes...)

Reply to
Robin Lee

Perhaps it is on the one mailing out May 23?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski