Next plane?

Page 2 of 3

One might think so.... but I'll tell you I've got almost no time to do anything in my shop...
Did some fine woodworking last night.....had to trim 1/16 or so off my daughter's bedroom door.... guess which plane I used....(Apron plane)...:)
I still get my tools the way you do...though I do get a discount.
What's really funny is that the store staff know when I'm working on a project.... 'cause it always involves multiple trips to the store over a very short period.
Cheers -
Rob
Robin, could you tell me the width of the mouth gap of the apron plane? I've got a tiny Stanley plane that I can practically hide in my hand. Two things I don't like: 1) It's hard to adjust the blade, 2) The mouth's much to wide.
Dave
Robin Lee wrote:

Not Robin, but, having just gone to the shop: 1/8" front to back, and in case I misunderstood your question, 1 1/4" side to side.
Patriarch
Thanks for covering both dimensions; it's the front to back gap I wanted. My stanley's mouth is 1/8" with 1/16" in front of the blade, when the blade is at normal cutting depth. Is the 1/8" that you mentioned the total width of the mouth, rather than the space in front of the blade? I'm looking for a small plane with a gap around 1/32" in front of the blade (or a bit less).
Dave
Patriarch wrote:

Total size. With the setting on mine, the mouth is fairly tight, but there is some variation allowed.
If you want a really tight plane mouth, then the LN mentioned in my first response post would be my recommendation. Or one of Steve's. Or one of Rob's, with the adjustable mouth feature.
The apron plane is incredibly convenient, really versatile and a great value. It isn't as adjustable as a more complex design, but is still a joy to use.
Patriarch

Do they demand to see your ID when you use a credit card or write a check? :)

Just confirms you're a regular guy, Robin. There's an old saw about judging a job by the number of trips to the hardware store it'll take. My last plumbing project - to replace all the cold water feeds in the house - was a 5 tripper. By the 3rd trip the guys at my local hardware start ribbing me about how many more times they'll see me this project.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Hi Owen -
... and I didn't even mention how many things I buy for project - and don't end up using....
Cheers -
Rob
<snip>

We KNEW you were one of us!
Patriarch
Just when I thought I had it all figured out... :)
Dave
Robin Lee wrote:

glass... When you have a plane cabinet as large as Robin's then you can add the Apron plane.
TWS

I bought the Veritas low angle block plane and it is a superbly well made tool, just about strictly impressive (as it were), though from all I have seen of other labp blocks, Veritas makes theirs slightly incorrectly with the blade being 1/4" too wide, same as the 20 block. The blade should be 1-3/8" wide rather than the current 1-5/8". The point being is one_of_the_main_purposes of any labp being to work on end grain, the blade being narrower cuts down on resistance. End grain is tough to plane. The blade of the Veritas apron plane is 1-1/4" wide.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Skew the tool more. Effectively narrows the blade. Doesn't hurt the smoothness, either.
<snip>

Hi Alex -
You make an excellent point (about the block being wider than standard). the reason we did this is that - coupled with the ball tail, one has essentially a bevel-up #2 plane....and of course, the means of applying the additional pressure necessary...
That's why I prefer my Apron plane for one-handed use.... but do use the LABP as well for more traditional "block" applications...
Cheers -
Rob

working on tenons, I do intend to buy the ball tail handle and knob, and the chamfer attachment, I needed all three. Running my hands into the sharp corners is a "cutting pain". But I could do the chamfers accurately enough for the ends of the tenons (on 1st work bench). The attachment will be needed for when the chamfer is showing on the outside.
Off topic question, do you have and can share a release time for the new honing guide? I need it is why I ask, and I noticed the lowered price on the current one.
Another note (request), PLEASE get a store opened in Santa Barbara California! There is nothing here of fine woodworking tool store at all.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I like this enough to consider buying another plane and leaving it attached.
Barry

Hi Alex -
The new honing guide is on the back cover of the catalog mailing May 23rd... $48.50 ($12.00 more than the old one)...
It's aa good one!
Cheers -
Rob
I have the mailing dated May 2005 with the carvings by Parkes on the cover. The back cover has 2 items: sliding square and blade removal tool. Are you referring to an issue yet to be mailed out, Robin?
Dave
Robin Lee wrote:

Hi David -
Yes - I'm referring to the next catalogue....the June one (with the Tsunami Hope Chest on the cover), which mails May 23rd...
http://www.woodworking.org/hopechest.html
Cheers -
Rob (PS - The June catalog has 27 new items in it - including two new planes...)