Newsreader Needed

Can understand wanting a dedicated newsreader but Thunderbird really does a good job with usenet and updates are still being done to it.

Reply to
NamPhong

Agent still the BEST. Free Agent is still FREE, buy Agent 7 for $29 and they will throw in Includes a free 3-month Agent Premium Usenet account. After three months pay monthly $2.9 for 20Gig.

WD

Maybe they figured they wanted people visiting msn.com rather than using Usenet.

Reply to
Bill

Puckdropper wrote in news:52a61c45$0$33574$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I also still use Xnews. It's free and does exactly what you want. It requires no installation, just copy it to a directory, and you can save posts to refer to later. It's old and is not being actively developed but is very stable. Nothing in NNTP has changed anyway...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

The following version of Thunderbird are currently in the cue for release. Thunderbird 27 will be released tomorrow. TB 28 some time in late January or early February, TB 29 some time in the spring.

From

Thunderbird 27 Currently in BETA channel Moves to RELEASED on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 28 Currently in EARLYBIRD channel Moves to BETA on Week of December 10, 2013

Thunderbird 29 Currently in DAILY channel Moves to EARLYBIRD on Week of December 10, 2013

Hardly to quote "They are no longer improving that program"

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Senility is a terrible thing - I touted Free Agent in a prior post on this topic and I did use it and like it. But for some reason I switched to Gravity for the rest of my time using Windows. I even remember trying to find a version of it for Linux. Pan was as close as I could get.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I use 40tude dialog on windows, and Pan on linux.

Dialog supports encryption and yenc and is configurable in every way imaginable. It also has extensive filtering capabilities. It is complex compared to OE or thunderbird.

I have never been a fan of Thunderbird, lots of folks like it though.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Me too. I stronlgly recommend to anyone interested a free unix shell account at sdf.lonestar.org or any similar organization and try out the original, old-fashioned way. Personally I can't imagine preferring any other method, but admit to having been called a curmudgeon more than once.

Reply to
Larry W

+1 for Agent. Gravity had some really nice features but it hasn't been maintained in a decade.

NO! NOT THAT!!!!!

Reply to
krw

Essentially the same, it is now called Live Mail.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:52a5f64f$0 $10194$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I've been using Xnews for several years now. Completely happy with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use Agent 7 and it does everything I would want it to do which includes top notch support if there's a problem. It's up to version

7.2 now for $29.
Reply to
none

Get a different email client. One that also does nntp. Either Sylpheed or Claws would do nicely, Thunderbird too. Any would also give you the benefit of not having to use Outlook, Live Mail or Windows Live Mail.

Reply to
dadiOH

"Something better" is subjective but personally I don't care for Thunderbird (or predecessors or derivitives).

When I got a laptop with Win 8 to augment my Win XP PC I spent considerable time seraching for and trying various email clients that would also do news. I did that because the semi-built in ones in Win 8 are a disaster IMO. The only two I found that I liked were Sylpheed and Claws. The latter grew out of the former so they are very similar.

I found both of them preferable to Thunderbird but wound up with neither because I like to use html for mail and neither write it. I set up a virtual machine with Virtual Box, installed XP on it and continue to use Outlook Express.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?

Reply to
dadiOH

But he says he needs an INDEPENDENT, DEDICATED newsreader. That lets out Thunderbird which I also use as a newsreader and ONLY thing I use as a mail client.

Lee, take a look at Xnews

It's cheap (Free) It's simple It needs no installation (standalone like a DOS program but NOT like a DOS program)

The tradeoff, if there is one, is that it while it's somewhat intuitive, it does take some getting used to and to find all the features, you'll have to peruse the site.

There are others that have been mentioned but this is the only standalone I've had any experience with.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

If you want to use Outlook (or Outlook Express) on your new machine you can easily do so by setting up a virtual machine and installing the appropriate OS and program(s) on it. Virtual Box is easy to use and works well.

Reply to
dadiOH

I use Thunderbird, like it, recommend it.

But as far as future releases go it's hard to say if they will actually be improvements or simply the normal "security fix" or a fix for known issues.

The latest release was simply a security fix.

Reply to
Leon

That and kids/programers that are not yet old enough to know that you don't fix what ain't broke.

Reply to
Leon

I'm not sure I would say that Live Mail is equentially the same as OLE so much as the replacement for OLE.

IIRC it does not read news groups.

Reply to
Leon