Newsreader Needed

Page 2 of 4
Michael wrote:

Maybe they figured they wanted people visiting msn.com rather than using Usenet.
On 12/9/2013 4:41 PM, Bill wrote:

That and kids/programers that are not yet old enough to know that you don't fix what ain't broke.
On 12/9/2013 2:39 PM, Leon wrote:

Essentially the same, it is now called Live Mail.
On 12/9/2013 8:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm not sure I would say that Live Mail is equentially the same as OLE so much as the replacement for OLE.
IIRC it does not read news groups.

I use Agent 7 and it does everything I would want it to do which includes top notch support if there's a problem. It's up to version 7.2 now for $29.

I've used Outlook Express from Win 95a, Win 95b, Win 98 and WinXP. I still use it with Win8 in an XP virtual machine. I am unaware of any changes that made it useless for news groups. What might those changes be?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 12/10/2013 7:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:

OLE is no longer available on Win 7 and 8. Those are the changes.
message

Can IE 6 be installed in Win 7 or 8? I'm thinking MS would have conniptions if one tried to do so.

Having it installed doesn't mean you have to use it :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Sounds like "just asking" for a virus!
On 12/10/2013 8:25 AM, dadiOH wrote:

It evolved into Live Mail. It will not put markers (such as > or :) in front of quoted text. It is OK for most email needs though.

It really depends on what you want in a newsreader. I need something that will tunnel nicely over ssh, which precludes most GUI-heavy newsreaders like Pan, Thunderbird, Forte, et. al.
I've been using xrn since 1989, and it's comfortable and fits all my needs.

"Something better" is subjective but personally I don't care for Thunderbird (or predecessors or derivitives).
When I got a laptop with Win 8 to augment my Win XP PC I spent considerable time seraching for and trying various email clients that would also do news. I did that because the semi-built in ones in Win 8 are a disaster IMO. The only two I found that I liked were Sylpheed and Claws. The latter grew out of the former so they are very similar.
I found both of them preferable to Thunderbird but wound up with neither because I like to use html for mail and neither write it. I set up a virtual machine with Virtual Box, installed XP on it and continue to use Outlook Express.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Bill wrote:

Since we are talking about Thunderbird, etc. You may have noticed that sometimes the words of my text run together. That's because (in my preferences) I "edit in HTML" (which permits me to make the text large enough to see it well).
To avoid the problem of the words running together, I usually cut all of my text, copy to WordPad, and Paste back into the editor in Thunderbird--and that works. Except, when I forget to do that, some of the words run together when they are uploaded to the newsgroup server as text. Anyone else doing this in Thunderbird/Seamonkey (have a better solution?)
On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:56:37 AM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it did a lot of things well.
http://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:29:38 -0800, Michael wrote:

Senility is a terrible thing - I touted Free Agent in a prior post on this topic and I did use it and like it. But for some reason I switched to Gravity for the rest of my time using Windows. I even remember trying to find a version of it for Linux. Pan was as close as I could get.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
Lee Michaels wrote:

I have used Seamonkey for years and it fits my needs. It is like Thunderbird and Firefox combined in that it is a browser and a news/email reader. I get my email through ATT and my newsgroups through giganews.
--
 GW Ross

 I try to make everyone's day a little
I have Thunderbird on my Win 8 laptop, but lately have been reading my newsgroups in Google Groups on my browser (Chrome).
On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:56:37 AM UTC-6, Lee Michaels wrote:

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Agent is nice, doubles as a mail program. Pay for the latest or download a free version of older ones.
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Mark
On 12/9/2013 10:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Thunderbird works for me.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when programs did less whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and lightweight. It does take a little getting used to and playing around, but will do all those things with a minimum of fuss.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.