Newsreader Needed

Page 1 of 4
I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.
Any suggestions? I will pay something if necessary, but my needs are simple. A few newsgroups accessed a few times a day. And there is not anywhere near the volume there used to be. So demands on the computers resources should be minimal.
I need to be able to read and reply to posts. And a bozo filter would be nice. Some capability to save some posts would be nice as well. That is all I really need. Any suggestions?
The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in office 2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read UseNet newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed anything that does not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.
On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:56:37 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because it's a lot like Agent.
Other than that, just Google.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Me too. I stronlgly recommend to anyone interested a free unix shell account at sdf.lonestar.org or any similar organization and try out the original, old-fashioned way. Personally I can't imagine preferring any other method, but admit to having been called a curmudgeon more than once.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org
On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 17:37:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

+1 for Agent. Gravity had some really nice features but it hasn't been maintained in a decade.

NO! NOT THAT!!!!!
On 12/9/2013 11:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Thunderbird available on all systems.
check out mozilla org
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

+1

On 12/9/2013 1:20 PM, Bill wrote:

I run Thunderbird Portable from a thumb drive and use it on different computers.
On 12/9/2013 11:56 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I use Thunderbird. There will be someone who will shortly say this is an email program and not and newsreader, but it does a very good job for news groups, I have been using it for about 10 years, and each version has performed well.
You can download and read newsgroups, You can post a followup to the newsgroup or reply to the sender. You can set filters and a host of other things.
With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages to events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation to those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I use the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social life and it is all free.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening to those who think they have something better. I download all my messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further functionality in that area. Anything else?
On 12/9/2013 1:23 PM, Bill wrote:

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30 day trial.
I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it about useless for newsgroups.

Yep, Outlook Express worked just fine for me too. As is Microsoft's custom, if something works well, the have to "improve" it to the point of uselessness. I window live on one win 7 machine. It is useless. It freezes and crashes constantly. And I can't even get this program any more.
The Outlook 2007 in the office package is very nice. It is like outlook express on steroids with a lot of other tools in there as well. It is almost like the old outlook express, only better.
I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no longer improving that program and I already have a good email client. It is just the newsreader I need. I came across a couple newsreader add ins to outlook 2007. But almost all of them no longer work because Microsoft won't let anybody interface with the program. So called "security enhancements". Also the only surviving add in apparently really bogs down the machine.
Which is why I need a dedicated newsreader. I will look at Forte Agent. I will figure something out.
On 12/9/2013 1:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Can understand wanting a dedicated newsreader but Thunderbird really does a good job with usenet and updates are still being done to it.
On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 14:24:15 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Agent still the BEST. Free Agent is still FREE, buy Agent 7 for $29 and they will throw in Includes a free 3-month Agent Premium Usenet account. After three months pay monthly $2.9 for 20Gig.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/trial.php
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
On 12/9/2013 2:24 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

The following version of Thunderbird are currently in the cue for release. Thunderbird 27 will be released tomorrow. TB 28 some time in late January or early February, TB 29 some time in the spring.
From https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases
Thunderbird 27 Currently in BETA channel Moves to RELEASED on Week of December 10, 2013
Thunderbird 28 Currently in EARLYBIRD channel Moves to BETA on Week of December 10, 2013
Thunderbird 29 Currently in DAILY channel Moves to EARLYBIRD on Week of December 10, 2013
Hardly to quote "They are no longer improving that program"
On 12/9/2013 5:01 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I use Thunderbird, like it, recommend it.
But as far as future releases go it's hard to say if they will actually be improvements or simply the normal "security fix" or a fix for known issues.
The latest release was simply a security fix.
"Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote in message

If you want to use Outlook (or Outlook Express) on your new machine you can easily do so by setting up a virtual machine and installing the appropriate OS and program(s) on it. Virtual Box is easy to use and works well.
--

dadiOH
On 12/9/2013 1:17 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.
Leon wrote:

Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on it. That was the reason.
On 12/9/2013 2:06 PM, Bill wrote:

We try to forget the bad decision of Outlook Express being dropped.
On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:14:01 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

A sad day indeed.