Newsreader Needed

I need an independent, dedicated newsreader. I am migrating to a system that does not support newsreaders in the email client. And it is not just me but a number of us old farts who insist on reading these archaic newsgroups.

Any suggestions? I will pay something if necessary, but my needs are simple. A few newsgroups accessed a few times a day. And there is not anywhere near the volume there used to be. So demands on the computers resources should be minimal.

I need to be able to read and reply to posts. And a bozo filter would be nice. Some capability to save some posts would be nice as well. That is all I really need. Any suggestions?

The new system is a win 7 64 bit system. The email client is in office

2007, specifically outlook 2007. You used to be able to read UseNet newsgroups in Outlook 2007, but Microsoft have removed anything that does not use their own servers servers for newsgroups.
Reply to
Lee Michaels

See if Free Agent (or Agent) is still around. I used it for years under Windows. Now that I'm using Linux, I use Pan for a newsreader because it's a lot like Agent.

Other than that, just Google.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thunderbird available on all systems.

check out mozilla org

Reply to
woodchucker

I use Thunderbird. There will be someone who will shortly say this is an email program and not and newsreader, but it does a very good job for news groups, I have been using it for about 10 years, and each version has performed well.

You can download and read newsgroups, You can post a followup to the newsgroup or reply to the sender. You can set filters and a host of other things.

With the addition of Lightning, Thunderbird has become a poor man's MS Office as you can schedule task and events. You can convert messages to events or task, and they can be tracked. You can send invitation to those people you wish to participate in the events. My wife and I use the invitation function to keep each other informed of what we are participating in. It is great for keeping track of a retiree social life and it is all free.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

+1
Reply to
Bill

Okay, as a Thunderbird user myself, I would be interested in listening to those who think they have something better. I download all my messages from a single news server, so I have no need for further functionality in that area. Anything else?

Reply to
Bill

Back in the day,I used to use Gravity. It was a little technical, but it did a lot of things well.

Michael

I have used Seamonkey for years and it fits my needs. It is like Thunderbird and Firefox combined in that it is a browser and a news/email reader. I get my email through ATT and my newsgroups through giganews.

Reply to
G. Ross

I run Thunderbird Portable from a thumb drive and use it on different computers.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Gramps' shop

I'd say Forte Agent is equal, but it is not free anymore aside from a 30 day trial.

I used Outlook Express for years until they "improved" it making it about useless for newsgroups.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yep, Outlook Express worked just fine for me too. As is Microsoft's custom, if something works well, the have to "improve" it to the point of uselessness. I window live on one win 7 machine. It is useless. It freezes and crashes constantly. And I can't even get this program any more.

The Outlook 2007 in the office package is very nice. It is like outlook express on steroids with a lot of other tools in there as well. It is almost like the old outlook express, only better.

I really don't want to go to thunderbird email client. They are no longer improving that program and I already have a good email client. It is just the newsreader I need. I came across a couple newsreader add ins to outlook

2007. But almost all of them no longer work because Microsoft won't let anybody interface with the program. So called "security enhancements". Also the only surviving add in apparently really bogs down the machine.

Which is why I need a dedicated newsreader. I will look at Forte Agent. I will figure something out.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Agent is nice, doubles as a mail program. Pay for the latest or download a free version of older ones.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Thunderbird works for me.

Reply to
Leon

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:52a5f64f$0$10194$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm still using Xnews. It was written in the days when programs did less whizz-bang stuff, so it's quick and lightweight. It does take a little getting used to and playing around, but will do all those things with a minimum of fuss.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Actually Outlook Express is no longer available after XP, IIRC.

Reply to
Leon

It really depends on what you want in a newsreader. I need something that will tunnel nicely over ssh, which precludes most GUI-heavy newsreaders like Pan, Thunderbird, Forte, et. al.

I've been using xrn since 1989, and it's comfortable and fits all my needs.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks for reminding me why I switched. I couldn't put my finger on it. That was the reason.

Reply to
Bill

We try to forget the bad decision of Outlook Express being dropped.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Michael