newsreader

AHA! Quote: "What we have here is a failure to communicate".

I was using 'news' to *mean* exactly what you call "USENET NGs" -- *NOT* in the sense of "current events stuff". In the computer crowd, 'news' has a primary meaning that refers to USENET, with the 'current events' referent being a _distant_ second-place -- *unless* context makes obvious that the second-place meaning is what is intended. Sorry I wasn't clear.

A little history: Traditionally, USENET was the network of server machines that exchange 'postings', 'articles', whatever-you-want-to-call-them. This network was *very* different from the "Internet" although a fair number of USENET servers _did_ talk to each other via the Internet. But a _lot_ of the transmission occurred over point-to-point DIAL-UP, via automated scheduling. In some instances people even moved stuff between locations via magnetic tapes. The remark about "never underestimate the bandwidth of a station- wagon full of mag tapes" *does* have a basis in fact. The station wagon was transporting USENET data between a couple of colleges in the Research Triangle Park vicinity, in North Carolina.

The information that was exchanged between these servers was known as "USENET news", "netnews" , or just "news", for short.

This is why the 'categories' are known as "_NEWS_ groups". And, why individual postings are often referred to as "_NEWS_ articles".

(I'm an _old_ f*rt -- I had USENET 'news' -- and e-mail, via the same link -- for almost 10 years *before* I had an 'Internet' connection.)

Anyway, Agent _can_ do what you want. *BUT* you have to have made arrangements with "somebody else" (other than AOL) for USENET access, _first_.

You'll have to specify the 'NNTP server' (aka 'news server') as the name that that "somebody else" told you to use, and then, when the prompts come up, enter the username/password that *THEY* assigned you (*not* your AOL username/password).

the AOL software already authenticated you to AOL, now you go "through" the connection AOL sets up -- but not *TO* AOL -- for USENET. Thus, only the "somebody else" that runs the NNTP server needs to validate you. So you have to give them _their_ username/password information.

i.e., start up AOL 9, and, after it logs in, minimize it, and run Agent. And, when the username/password prompts come up, answer with the 'magic words' that the NNTP server operator gave you for that purpose.

The *ONLY* thing you goofed up on, was using the wrong username/password. The "wrong key" for _this_ lock.

*NO* 'conventional' USENET (aka 'news') software can talk to AOL's USENET servers. AOL's servers do *NOT* speak "NNTP". The *only* thing that can talk to AOL's USENET serves is AOL's integrated software. And _that_ will work *only* as long as AOL keeps those servers running. which is the root of the entire problem.

Of course. see above. Mozilla's USENET (aka 'news') functionality uses NNTP to talk to servers. AOL's USENET server does *NOT* speak NNTP. doomed to failure.

*HOWEVER*, if you got to _that_ point, with the pop-up windows prompting for the username, and then the password, you were *VIRTUALLY* THERE. You had _ALMOST_EVERYTHING_ done correctly.

You _were_ actually connected to somebody's NNTP server. (I don't know whose, but "somebody's" :) You were just using a username/password that was *not* recognized by that server. You need one issued by the folks that run *that* server, not the one from AOL.

My misunderstanding. Couldn't figure out _why_ you were entering your *AOL* username/password into Mozilla, except for that reason.

Revised comment: You're entering the *wrong* username/password. You have to use the one that is given to you BY THE PEOPLE THAT RUN THE nntp SERVER you are trying to connect to. Since AOL does *NOT* have an NNTP server (the USENET servers that they are going to be shutting down are -not- NNTP compatible; they speak their own private bastard language, rather than the standard), your AOL username/password will _not_ be usable for any attempted NNTP access.

Again, you have to enter the name (or IP address) of the *NNTP* server to use. AOL doesn't have one of those. So there's nothing for Mozilla to talk *to* at AOL. And if you specify "somebody else's" USENET server (aka 'news' server, aka 'NNTP' server), then, "obviously" the AOL username/ password won't work -- you have to use the username/password that "somebody else" gave you, for accessing _their_ systems.

It's the particular _combinations_ of things you're trying that doesn't work.

Desktop (i.e. 'client') software that uses NNTP to communicate with a remote USENET server is *unable* to communicate with AOL's soon-to-be-eliminated newsgroup servers.

Trying to use your AOL username/password to authenticate yourself when talking to "somebody else's" NNTP server doesn't work. "Wrong key for the lock".

To make software like "Agent" work, there are two things you have to do: 1) Set up an account for access with "somebody" that runs an NNTP _server_. 2) Enter _three_ pieces of information -- *as*provided* by that 'somebody' in step 1 -- into Agent's configuration. The "server name" (or address), the 'username', and the 'password'. Trying to use a username/password from a source =other= than the 'somebody' from step 1 is guaranteed to fail.

AOL does *not* run NNTP servers, Thus they do not qualify for step 1. Therefore, you _cannot_ use your *AOL* username/password as part of step 2. Thus you have to make arrangements with "somebody else". For figuring out 'how to make things work', "news.individual.net" is a good choice, because it doesn't cost anything to set up an account there. Just point your web browser at and click on the 'registration' link.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Mike.... I think you "May" have a computer problem.. I run Firefox on 5 different computers...in the house, garage and woodshop ..using XP home, 2000 NT and "Me" ... as operating systems.

Firefox is faster then IE on every single one of them.... all but one computer connects via a wireless network and the shop is 200 foot from the AP...and I do not get a Great signal...still response is almost in the blink of an eye...

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

They will, and I would say the latter is the case.

AOL will actually give you a tcp/ip connection to the Internet itself, so, once you successfully log onto AOL, your computer is actually _on_ the Internet. (See the *tip below for more on that.) you should be able to minimize AOL, then use ANY program that will converse in Internet protocols. (nntp, ftp, http(browser)), etc to access a server that speaks that Internet protocol ... In your case, an "nntp server".

IOW, in your current quest to find a news server you can, fireup AOL as your "on-ramp" to the Internet, then once connected, minimize it and FORGET about AOL, its logins and its passwords and go to 1 below.

You goal is to get Usenet access, so first understand a couple of simple concepts (ALL the below is completely independent of, and has nothing whatsoever to do with, how you connected to the Internet (AOL in your case)):

  1. You must have access to an (usenet news) "nntp" server - free or pay, and you must know:
1a. Its Internet "address", either by ip address, or by host/machine name) ("122.123.123.123" or "news.giganews.com" are examples of both) 1b. and, unless it is an "anonymous" free service, you normally must have a login and password to connect.
  1. You must also have a program that will speak to the nntp server and allow you to read and post (Agent, OE, etc.), and you must configure that program to both:
2a. Go to the Internet address of the nntp server and attempt to connect 2b Provide whatever login and password are required by that nntp server to connect.

It appears, from what you've written, that you are most likely stumbling on

2 above. That should be fairly easy to suss out once you understand the above. and have the three pieces of information that you need to access, and connect to the server.

Hope this just doesn't confuse the issue further.

A tip to tell if you do indeed have an ACTIVE connection to the Internet. In most current versions of Windows, and after connection with AOL and minimizing it:

Click on the "Start Menu" and select "Run." Type "cmd" in the dialog box and click "OK" or press .

A command prompt will then appear that looks similar to an MS-DOS prompt. Type in "ipconfig" (without the ") and press .

If an IP address that looks similar to 123.123.123.123 is returned on the screen, you should have an active connection to the Internet and all programs that use the various tcp/ip Internet protocols should be working.

There will be some exceptions to this, but it AOL programs are working, then that will further confirm that you are indeed connected.

Reply to
Swingman

Argh! The evidence is becoming overwhelming. I may not be able to escape reloading it. All of my machines run 2000 and as easy as it would be to do, can you believe I've not gone to the other machines to see if they act the same way? Lazy is hard at work here.

Same here. One machine connects via cat5E and the rest are wireless. Everything works fine until someone picks up that damned 2.4GHz phone...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Before reinstalling the OS try running one of the spyware removal tools such as Lavasoft's "AdAware" (

) or Spybot's "Search & Destroy" (
). I've recommended the software to many of my customers having problems similar to yours and they solved the problem I run both of them weekly on my home machines.

Nova

I'll second that, except I'd suggest running both AdAware and Spybot. They don't catch the same things.

Last week I installed AdAware on my father's computer. He's been running Spybot regularly, but his computer was slower than it should have been. AdAware found 134 files of bad stuff on his system.

Made a big difference in performance.

--RC Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

-- Suzie B

Reply to
rcook5

No - I meant I'm going to uninstall and reload Firefox. Spyware and Adware are checked at least weekly on all my machines. I use both Search and Destroy and AdAware. Great stuff. Just completed a defrag only a couple of weeks ago as well, so I don't think the problem lies with my PC per se, but rather with the load of Firefox on it.

Reply to
Mike Marlow