Newsgroup Problem

Howdy,
I know that there are a few net savvy folks in this newsgroup, so I will try to get some answers here. Since the answers to my questions are not forthcoming elsewhere.
My ISP is comcast. I have been viewing newsgroups through their servers. Which is warmed over Giganews. While reading a message in another newsgroup yesterday, my browser started acting up. Then the newsgroup litterally vanished off the desktop.
I went into the menu to resubscribe and the newsgroup was not there. i called comcast technical support (an oxymoron) and tried to talk to the drones there. At some point I started yelling at them. It was obvious that this person had never used a newsgroup and I even wondered if he ever used the net in any way. I asked him if he had any experience with newsgroups. He said no.
He couldn't figure out that the problem was not with my computer and settings. But the fact that the newsgroup vanished. Apparently too technical a concept for the phone rube. After I blew up, he advised me to go talk to giganews. This is something I have tried to do before. Nobody ever responded to my communication attempts at giganews.
Checking back into the subscriber list today, the number of newsgroups seem to be declining. More newsgroups seem to be vanishing. These groups are present and active on google groups. The groups did not die. Just giganews and comcast are dropping them without any notification.
Any ideas here people?? It is obvious that I need to find another newserver. What is the name of that newserver in germany? I used them before they started charging.
Any other comments or suggestions would be welcome.
Feeling unloved on usenet.
Lee Michaels
On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:26:53 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

Giganews had some problems yesterday, they seem much better today. But that is a paid uncensored feed from Giganews. My other 2 news server feeds were fine yesterday.
Mark
I feel your pain.
I use Earthlink. A few months ago Earthlink newsgroup servers (yes plural) went down. Took about 2 weeks before all was up and running. This happens. There are other newsgroup servers that host rec.woodworking. Someone will post which ones are free to use, I am sure.
My newsreader, when it couldn't find the newsgroups I subscribe to, and couldn't find the news-servers, on its own just deleted the newsgroups for me. Another example to prove the Dilbert comic strip is more truth than fiction and pointed haired managers do make decisions like that.
Sorry, I get carried away.
EarthLink got hit with a lot of complaints while the newservers were down. One poster on the earthlink support NG got hold of a help desk person who didn't get the word, and this help desk person admitted the fault was EarthLink's NG servers being down. Then a few dozen people reported on the support NG that based on that one help desk admission, they filed claims for refund on the ISP services they pay to Earthlink. Some reported a $10.00 refund, others reported so much per week while the servers were down. Not all got refunds, but many reported they did get something even if was just a token. That could be why your help desk person was so lame--instructions from above not to admit error on Comcast part so no refund on fees can be claimed.
Phil

Giganews is also paid by Comcast, and it is, by the way, a MAJOR upgrade from the previous news server that came with the cable modem service in the past.
As a 'net guy for some time now (we're not going to play that 'I was there when it was two cans and a rock' game), you need to cut them some slack. The 'net still is rocket science at many levels, particularly with the goofballs who regularly try to screw it up. That it works as it does is still a minor miracle.
Patriarch
On 06/03/2007 12:09 PM, Patriarch wrote:

Part of the problem is that the kids that do network stuff today have no idea what Usenet and NNTP is; they've simply never heard of it, and don't care. The guys that have been around since before the Great Renaming know that it's really quite simple.
You had a rock???? We just used string :-)
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:09:39 -0600, Patriarch

I have no problem, all I did yesterday was disable Giganews server from downloading. The other feeds come from my ISP and Forte's server which I believe are both Supernews clients. Liking Agent's multiple server feeds very much today, even more yesterday.
Mark

Why not use Google (for non-binaries) and be done with it? It's easier, simpler, and never has problems. I formerly used Forte, and still do for binary groups.
-Jim

Because it makes me want to strangle the interface designers at google.
Mark
jtpr wrote:

Lots of us really dislike web-based newsgroup access.
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:31:26 -0600, Markem

Mark, I've been considering Agent's Premium news service. Do you know the locations of their server farms. I'm in the northeast and am hoping there are some closeby servers.

The address is new20.forteinc.com which tracert shows as Supernews.
Mark
"Markem" wrote in message

I use Giganews on a subscription basis and never had a bobble.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

I am unsure of where the problem was, but my access to my account at Giganews would stall and get disconnected. So my newsreader would stall as it is the first server read. Being a lazy sod I just disabled Giga till this morning. Works fine and I am willing to let it be FM.
Mark
*snip*

*snip*
Was the rock the original kill file? Seems we've "evolved" (to use a sci-fi cliche) beyond the need to actually harm the guy to get rid of him.
Puckdropper