News viewer - off topic

Page 1 of 2
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?
Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.
Dick Snyder
On 5/22/2014 3:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Thunderbird.http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thunderbird/3000-2367_4-10213643.html http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thunderbird/3000-2367_4-10213643.html
On 5/22/2014 4:41 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

ditto here...

On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:24:55 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

It's not free, but I like Forte Agent.
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
On 5/22/2014 5:41 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

Ditto. I have used Thunderbird since Netscape left us. I like it because it gives me the option of seeing each message in a stand alone window, or as a pane on the main window. It is flexible and can be modified to fit your style of browsing, with the navigation icons where you want them
If you go with Thunderbird, I would consider also adding the addon Lightning. This is a scheduling program that can send to and receive invitation to events from user of Outlook and other scheduling program. You can place Events and Task in your calendar. My family uses it to track the events and task in our lives. We are retired.
Depending on your use, you may also want to consider Auto ReSize Image, It is a customizable addon to automatically resize your photos. It is very useful if you send a lot of pictures, and your camera takes pictures in the Megabyte size.
Another is Mark All Read Button. This is especially useful in newsgroups. After reviewing all of the messages of interest, clicking this button and it marks all of the remaining messages in the newsgroup as read.
On Thu, 22 May 2014 18:11:38 -0400, adsDUMP wrote:

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer available?
On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:24:55 -0400, "Dick Snyder"

On my desktop, I use Forte Agent. On my laptop and work computer, I use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Both work well.
On Thu, 22 May 2014 23:37:19 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

I don't believe it's still available from Forte but it's still around on the net. It hasn't been updated for five years, anyway. If you want a newsreader that's been around that long without maintenance, Gravity is also a good choice.

I use Forte Agent on my desktop too (no laptop). Agent is eminently configurable and well supported should there be any problems ~ not that problems are common. Worth every cent of the cost. (US $29) Forte offers a 30 day free trial should anyone be interested in having a look at it.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/trial.php
On 5/22/2014 4:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

I use Thunderbird. Free and it works.
On 5/22/2014 5:15 PM, Leon wrote:

generation of this group. I use Thunderbird for newsgroup stuff and email. Works great.
Go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/ for further info.
mahalo, jo4hn

If you like OE, then you will adapt quickly to Microsoft "Windows Live Mail." I tried other suggested programs and they always fell short, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

On 5/22/2014 8:58 PM, Morgans wrote:

I like OE but present versions of Live Mail sucks for newsgroups. That is what forced me to go elsewhere. The original version was OK, similar to OE, but they improved it to the point it did not work very well with quoting, etc.

I had the same problem. I liked OE because I could use it for both mail and news; additionally, I could use HTML for mail.
I searched mightily for a replacement I liked; about all I found was Thunderbird, didn't like it so I went back to OE which I am using at the moment on my Win8 laptop to write this. I did that by setting up a virtual machine with Oracle's Virtual Box and installing WinXP on that virtual machine.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Any chance you have access to a copy of Office 2007? It has the full version of Outlook and is compatible with Windows 8.

I'm pretty happy with XNews.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, I'd forgotten that.
On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

There is a modified version of OE for Windows 7 and 8. http://www.rafailb.tk/index.php?itemid '

Neat, thanks, I am going to try it.
Also, thanks to this thread, I now have Windows Live Mail on my Win8 machine. I hadn't wanted it before due to the (supposed) need for a Microsoft account. One of the replies mentioned that an account wasn't needed, just d/l the Windows Essentials installer from MS, run it and untick the other items it can install. I did so. I haven't actually used WLM yet but it is very similar to OE...bigger, I would bet, and it has the sucky faded out GUI that MS seems to think is wonderful but I could live with it.
Nice to have choices, thanks again :)
--

dadiOH
On Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:24:55 PM UTC-5, Dick Snyder wrote:

I remember that sad day when I could no longer use Outlook Express. It was clean, easy to manage, and easy on the eye.
Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that it's free on the web and easy to use.