News viewer - off topic

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

I use Thunderbird.http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thunderbird/3000-2367_4-10213643.html

Just Wondering

ditto here...

Reply to
dpb

It's not free, but I like Forte Agent.

adsDUMP

Ditto. I have used Thunderbird since Netscape left us. I like it because it gives me the option of seeing each message in a stand alone window, or as a pane on the main window. It is flexible and can be modified to fit your style of browsing, with the navigation icons where you want them

If you go with Thunderbird, I would consider also adding the addon Lightning. This is a scheduling program that can send to and receive invitation to events from user of Outlook and other scheduling program. You can place Events and Task in your calendar. My family uses it to track the events and task in our lives. We are retired.

Depending on your use, you may also want to consider Auto ReSize Image, It is a customizable addon to automatically resize your photos. It is very useful if you send a lot of pictures, and your camera takes pictures in the Megabyte size.

Another is Mark All Read Button. This is especially useful in newsgroups. After reviewing all of the messages of interest, clicking this button and it marks all of the remaining messages in the newsgroup as read.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer available?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On my desktop, I use Forte Agent. On my laptop and work computer, I use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Both work well.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't believe it's still available from Forte but it's still around on the net. It hasn't been updated for five years, anyway. If you want a newsreader that's been around that long without maintenance, Gravity is also a good choice.

Reply to
krw

I use Forte Agent on my desktop too (no laptop). Agent is eminently configurable and well supported should there be any problems ~ not that problems are common. Worth every cent of the cost. (US $29) Forte offers a 30 day free trial should anyone be interested in having a look at it.

none

I use Thunderbird. Free and it works.

Reply to
Leon

If you like OE, then you will adapt quickly to Microsoft "Windows Live Mail." I tried other suggested programs and they always fell short, IMHO.

Reply to
Morgans

I had the same problem. I liked OE because I could use it for both mail and news; additionally, I could use HTML for mail.

I searched mightily for a replacement I liked; about all I found was Thunderbird, didn't like it so I went back to OE which I am using at the moment on my Win8 laptop to write this. I did that by setting up a virtual machine with Oracle's Virtual Box and installing WinXP on that virtual machine.

Reply to
dadiOH

On Fri, 23 May 2014 07:17:44 -0400, "dadiOH"

Any chance you have access to a copy of Office 2007? It has the full version of Outlook and is compatible with Windows 8.

Reply to
none

I like OE but present versions of Live Mail sucks for newsgroups. That is what forced me to go elsewhere. The original version was OK, similar to OE, but they improved it to the point it did not work very well with quoting, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Dick Snyder" wrote in news:SsudnbtACeW69uPOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm pretty happy with XNews.

Reply to
Doug Miller

God help me, but I go back to Mosaic and Netscape. Firefox is the nth generation of this group. I use Thunderbird for newsgroup stuff and email. Works great.

Go to

for further info.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Yeah, I'd forgotten that.

Reply to
none

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

There is a modified version of OE for Windows 7 and 8.

none

Neat, thanks, I am going to try it.

Also, thanks to this thread, I now have Windows Live Mail on my Win8 machine. I hadn't wanted it before due to the (supposed) need for a Microsoft account. One of the replies mentioned that an account wasn't needed, just d/l the Windows Essentials installer from MS, run it and untick the other items it can install. I did so. I haven't actually used WLM yet but it is very similar to OE...bigger, I would bet, and it has the sucky faded out GUI that MS seems to think is wonderful but I could live with it.

Nice to have choices, thanks again :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I remember that sad day when I could no longer use Outlook Express. It was clean, easy to manage, and easy on the eye.

Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that it's free on the web and easy to use.

Reply to
Michael