News - My New Shop Update

This weekend I took the plunge and bought the first two major pieces for my shop. I bought a Delta Unisaw with the 50" Biesmeyer Fence and I bought a Powermatic 14" bandsaw.

Giving strong consideration to your advice, I decided I liked the color Grey so went with the Delta. Actually I bought the saw locally at Rocking R Hardware in Harrisonburg, Virginia. I was able to talk them into a small discount, a discount on a Freud dado saw blade and Delta insert. The salesman through on a couple of push blocks for good measure. I feel good that I bought an American made product at a local retailer. The saw came packaged well and I haven't found not one nick or flaw. I'm now in the process of putting it together. That thing was a bear to get off my pickup truck.

I decided on the Powermatic bandsaw over the Delta for two reasons: $100 cheaper, and came with fence and miter gauge (and a handy light).

Next, I'll be shopping for a jointer and a planer. I'm eying the Delta DJ20

8 " jointer and the Dewalt 2-speed planer (I forget the model number).

Oh and to gloat in the bargain category, stopping by a yard sale on Saturday, I purchased a 4X8 worktable for $20. The table was well built, covered in carpet, and is like brand new. The previous owner did picture framing and was moving. Funny, I had planned on building such a table as my first project in my new shop.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Nice pick ups - great way to start your shop.

Good luck w/ it.

Reply to
Rob V

Thats OK if you didnt get the "Big White" version. I picked mine up about 6 years ago. I dont know if its still available

Rudy

That's not true at all; they're quite easy to get off the truck. It's only hard if you expect the thing to work later.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Congratulations !! I made the mistake of being fiscally conservative and buying a Delta Contractors saw. Now that I am planning a DC system I find that my Contractors saw is a challenge because of the open back. Good Move on getting the unisaw.

One note on the DJ20 is that there are some deals out there on the older version which has an American lower stand and motor. Another wrecker and I picked up the last 2 at a local store for $1099 and below cost. So keep your eyes peeled for bargains on the older DJ20's. The New X5 DJ20's are made in China/Taiwan and carry a 5 year warrantee and a $1599 price tag

Rich

Reply to
RKON