Newer K-Body reversable head

Has anyone tried grinding the peen off of an older K-Body to use the clamp as a spreader?
I noticed the newer versions have a removable plastic stop. I'm figuring that I can use a bolt or clevis as a keeper if I modify the clamp.
Any thoughts?
Thanks, Barry

I am sure the clamp will work in the opposite direction. I have used my CabinetMasters several times in that set up and am very pleased with having that capability. As for the plastic stop, IIRC that is an adaptation similar to the what the CabinetMasters have. It acts as a stop but more importantly it is a foot that holds the clamp up off the surface enough that the sliding part of the clamp will slide freely back and forth along the bar with out having to lift that part up off the table to make adjustments. You might as well fabricate that little piece as well and really make the clamps convenient to use.
Leon wrote:

If the clamps work, I figured I would make some wood bits to update my collection.
Thanks! Barry