Newbie with wood laminate/glue question

I need to glue a thin (1/32 or maybe 1/64 inch thick...I can't really tell) wood laminate to some 1/4 inch thick masonite. The total surface area will be about 50 inches (7 inches by 7 inches).
My test piece was 15 X 4 inches. Using Elmers Glue, the curing process caused a very slight 'bow' in the masonite's length. I guess that must be caused by the glue adhereing and shrinking at the same time.
Any recommendations as to a better glue? Gorilla Glue, maybe? Or is it possible I put the glue on too thick?
thanks
elfa
Hi Elfa,
I don't know the details of the laminate you're gluing to your substrate, but I can tell you that a simple veneer applied to one side of a thin base will cause it to cup. This is traditionally cured by applying a corresponding veneer - usually of a cheaper wood - on the underside of the substrate, with the grain running in the same direction as the surface veneer, to balance the shrinkage.
Perhaps the same fix might work for you.
HTH,
Frank

I agree that you need to veneer both sides. I've found that out more than once. Also, you might try contact cement instead of elmers.
Preston

Is it done at the same time? Or can I do it after the front side has cured?
elfa

Normally it's done at the same time if you are using a caul or vacuum press, or immediately before or after the top veneer is applied if you're hammer veneering.
Cheers
Frank