Newbie to woodworking

I am just getting started in woodworking and made a great buy on a bunch of used power and hand tools. Problem is that there are no manuals. Most of the tools are Craftsman but only 2 of them have model numbers.

These are the ones that I have no model number for:

Craftsman 8" 3 speed 1/3 HP drill press Craftsman 10" Electronic radial arm saw Craftsman 16" variable speed scroll saw. Says 5" plain end blade holder on the label.

Any help in finding the model numbers would be much appreciated.

If anyone has some suggestions on a book for beginners or suggestions on learning to use these tools properly it would be a big help. Thanks.

Reply to
JohnGInVA

Got any ideas of something you might like to make? Basic furniture, cabinets, bookshelves, toys?

I can recommend a few books, but can narrow it down with more info.

Here's a very good overall book on machines:

"Wood" magazine is a decent read when starting out, that doesn't get too simple too quickly as you gain experience. "Popular Woodworking" is also worth looking into. "Fine Woodworking" is fantastic, but true beginners can find it daunting.

Introductory classes offered though local adult ed, woodworking schools, and the Woodcraft retail chain (woodcraft.com) are also a great way to get _safely_ started. If you can post your general locality (ex:// Southern New Hampshire, Florida Panhandle...), perhaps you'll get some leads.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Unfortunately the sears website is not much help without a model number. Try here:

RayV