Newbie table top question

I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finis h carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top. My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top, but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the to p. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well wit h barn wood. Any suggestions?!
wrote in message
I am under taking a project on the honey do list. I have some minimal finish carpentry experience as well basic wood working tools, and access to more if needed. I am going to be building a table roughly 4' tall with a 3'x5' top. My original plan was to use some scrap barn wood laying around for the top, but I have a new idea and need help executing it. I would like to use a different wood in the middle and use the barn wood as a border on the top. But I'm having trouble finding the right wood that would blend well with barn wood. Any suggestions?!
About four years ago I made a 4'x7' French Country style table top using barn board for the table center and walnut as the border. The boards were 9" to 12" wide and 1-1/2" thick. Used biscuits to keep the boards aligned and breadboard ends. Came out looking pretty good with weathered boards and finished walnut.
Bob S.
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:02:20 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What is the function of the table ? What type of base/leg construction ? John T.
--- ---
On 1/17/2014 10:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

inlay a piece of half inch plywood in a rabbet in the barn wood frame.
But like previously said exactly how would depend on the construction
On 1/17/2014 10:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote:

Now, that is a question I would ask!
And you may wish to not limit yourself to wood. Here, I have wood tables with tile, glass or stone insets. As wonderful as wood is, it is not always the best working surface, it depends on what you are doing and your needs.
Don't think blend, think contrast or compliment.
With the height of the table being 4', I can't help but feel the table has a specific purpose. Build to suit that purpose.
Jeff

Thank you all for the responses. To answer your questions, the table will s erve strictly as a decorative piece in our entry way. The legs will be off the shelf from menards. The skirt if you will, was going to be a stained 2x 6 piece of oak. An idea I had ast night was to use two cedar 1x6s in the mi ddle and keep the barn wood border. Thoughts?
Disregard the oak, it would be cedar if the top was cedar also.
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:41:24 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Define " barn wood " ... .. not barnboard by the sound of it .. ? John T.
--- ---