Newbie router question - pattern bit too short?

I am building a router table and have purchased the cast aluminum insert plate from woodpecker. They were even so nice as to sell me a template to cut the exact right hole in my table top for the plate. The template is 3/4" MDF.
I have a Freud FT2000 plunge router, but even with the plunge all the way down, the top bearing of the pattern bit barely clears the base of the router. I'm using a 5/8" diameter pattern bit with a 1/2" cutter length. So, the cutter doesn't even get down to the top of the table with the router sitting on top of the template!
Anyone else have the problem? Am I going about this wrong?
Thanks! Jeff

What happens if you were to copy the template to something thinner like 1/4" plywood?
JJ wrote:

Buy a longer bit, with a 1/2" shaft if your router can take it.
Chris
Didn't like my answer the first time??
Rout out as much as you can including the center waste using the template. Remove the template and reference the bearing off of the cut you just made with the template. Now you will be able to cut in lower. Repeat until you are all the way through.
Don't completely sink the bit shaft into the collet and you will be able to get more 'reach'.
Do you own a planer? You could also plane the MDF template down to 1/2" or a smidge under.

Thanks all for your suggestions! A longer bit has been purchased from Infinity. It is the path of least resistance. And I'm a big proponent of avoiding resistance! :)
JJ