Newbie router question

I was going to buy a 5/16 (cutter diameter) spiral upcut bit to cut some slots in plywood. I see some with 5/16 shanks for ~$15, and some with 1/2 shanks in $30-40 range. Could the 5/16 shank be used in a 1/4 collet? Thanks.
Troy

Let's see. 5/16 = 5 of the sixteenths. 1/4 = only 4 of the sixteenths. The size of the hole is only 4 of the sixteenths so unless you have a really big hammer, it won't fit. You need a collet with one more sixteenths in it. And no, I won't even joke about the 1/2" collet and duct tape.

Never heard of 5/16" bit or collets for that matter. 1/4" and 3/8" yes, but not in between. Do they actually exist or have I been living too sheltered a life?

They're probably metalworking cutters, which come in all shapes and sizes.
wrote in message news:FtpSd.34631

I think some of the spiral bits were intended for other uses, such as milling machines. In the proper chuck or collet, they would be OK. Perhaps some of the industrial tools have other collets too.
They exist but they are not manufactured as router bits. The are made for milling aluminum.
wrote in message news:FtpSd.34631

but

absolutely they do exist, both the collets and the cutters. however, they aren't generally found on woodworking tools. my mill has available dozens of sizes of collets, and the cutters to match.
wrote in message news:FtpSd.34631

Yes 5/16" exists and is a very common size. Leigh sell this bit for their jigs. Also, for those that use metric sized shanks, 8mm is extremely common. 8mm is within 1.5/10,000th of an inch of being 5/16". 8mm = 0.3149606299 inches. 5/16" = .315
Actually, there is .00246" difference. 5/16" is .3125. This is enough difference I wouldn't interchange them.
wrote in message news:FtpSd.34631

sixteenths.
sheltered
8mm

I stand corrected. But the Leigh site sells
Item 140-8, 170, and 170-C The shank diameter is listed as 8mm & 5/16".
Take a look. http://www.leighjigs.com/cutters-f1.php
Due to the design of most router collets, this is far to much variation to call interchangeable. Using collets everyday of all sizes and designs, I would stear clear of using something with that kind of mismatch in most collet designs. You may well get away with it but I wouldn't chance it.

No as well...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Clearly not a "Red Green" Fan. Hmmpphh !!!

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Thanks All. Will wrote:

sixteenths.
a really

sixteenths in it.

No. (Unless they spend a little time in the lathe first.)
However, a collet can be had to allow it to work in a 1/2 router.
Dave
No.